Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I found who outbid me in the SCP auction...

I really wanted to win the 1978 OPC Eddie Murray PSA 10 in the SCP auction and was outbid very late in extended bidding. It went for $2520. Now it's on ebay.

LINK

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Never heard of Worldwide Investments... Who runs that?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offer them $2521, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Same scenario happened to me a few months ago with the same seller. At least you got outbid by someone who obviously really wanted that card.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Buying at auction, then flipping on Ebay does not strike me as a profitable strategy over time.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭

<< <i>Buying at auction, then flipping on Ebay does not strike me as a profitable strategy over time. >>

I agree, especially buying from the most visible sports auction maybe ever! I realize this should not bug me as I respect everyone's right to buy/invest/collect however they want, but I still found myself quite irritated. I would be happier if it were sitting in someone's Murray collection. I like the idea of offering $2521. I'll even cover the shipping!!
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Offer them $2521, LOL.. >>

+1 image
  • Options

<< <i>Buying at auction, then flipping on Ebay does not strike me as a profitable strategy over time. >>

I do agree for the most part to.

What I do wonder is what percentage of EBay buyers actually buy from Auction Houses? When I started back I had no idea, and I'm sure most don't.

Getting back into cards after being completely out for 20 years:

1. Realize card shops are few and far between.
    2. EBay certainly has a plethora of cards for sale.
    3. Who are these grading companies, PSA what's that.
    4. Wow prices seem high. I don't even know where to begin.
    5. I'll buy some packs like I used to. 75, 76, 77, maybe even a 72 pack raw. Darn it a bunch of junk no stars...
    6. I want to start buying some vintage. These raw Mantles look good.
    7. Okay maybe I'll try this PSA thing, some probably go to Beckett first because of the magazine. Then realize PSA is all over vintage and more and more modern these days.
    8. Crap EOT/Trimming. What the heck!
    9. Start reading some sports card forums and start faint some knowledge.
    10. I'll join the forum and introduce myself, and ask some questions.
    11. Auction Houses, I didn't know they had any.
    12. I really want to get a perfect Murray Rookie, oh I see one at the auction.

So there are many steps that someone getting back in goes through, so while re-learning I'm sure some great flips from auction houses to EBay occur. I haven't personally attempted yet, bit I can see why someone would try.

Sorry you lost the auction, as I'm sure it was for your PC or set not to flip.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Holy smokes. What a mark up!
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭

<< <i>Holy smokes. What a mark up! >>

well ya know, ebay fees are pretty expensive now days.
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    how dare someone try to make sum...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it is still in play...
  • Options

<< <i>Never heard of Worldwide Investments... Who runs that? >>

The owner of ISA grading.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Ryan RB card has poor eye appeal for a 10.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    they bought one of my Star Trek sets last year from Legendary Auctions. They put the cards on Ebay a short time after for a ridiculous price on every card. Don't remember even one selling.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    That Murray is a SICK card! We know how bad opc centering is on the Murray and It doesnt get any better than this.

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭

<< <i>At least it is still in play... >>

True. If it hangs around a while maybe they'll get sick of it. Also, I have no problem at all with the idea of someone buying to flip and make money.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At least it is still in play... >>

True. If it hangs around a while maybe they'll get sick of it. Also, I have no problem at all with the idea of someone buying to flip and make money. >>

Hence the difference between a collector and investor.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Been wondering how quickly we'd start to see some of these cards re appear on eBay....pretty ballsy to try a 150% markup a week after he won it.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'd offer $2,519.00. Just because!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    WW investments has been doing this for a LONGGG... time.

They had up a 1970 Topps #195 NLCS Game 1 in PSA 9 for
    $749.00. It was there forever. VCP is probably around $125
    - $150 as best I recall.

Obviously they are finding enough under informed people to either
    accept the BIN price or make best offers that are well over VCP. They
    have never accepted any offer I ever made to them (never more than
    110% of VCP).

Must be nice if you can afford to keep your $ tied up this way
    until someone who doesn't know or doesn't care comes along and
    overpays.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Must be nice if you can afford to keep your $ tied up this way
    until someone who doesn't know or doesn't care comes along and
    overpays. >>

A lot of sellers somehow make this work for them. I started building the '56 Topps set more than two years ago, and there has been the same Whitey Ford PSA 8 on the Bay that whole time (and who knows how long before I started looking) for $450. Always a straight BIN, seller never drops the price.
    It's a nice card, but you'd think if he were serious about selling it he would at least throw a 'best offer' or a 5% off sale on it every now and then.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Buying Single Signed balls (usually Hall of Famers) from Auction sites and then dumping on ebay at ridiculous markup has gone on for at least the last decade I've been in the market. It seems counterintuitive, but there are seemingly enough deep pocketed buyers to feed the beasts. Capitalism, more power to us. If I had deep enough pockets, I'd get it at the auction house level before it gets the insane ebay markup....
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of sellers somehow make this work for them. I started building the '56 Topps set more than two years ago, and there has been the same Whitey Ford PSA 8 on the Bay that whole time (and who knows how long before I started looking) for $450. Always a straight BIN, seller never drops the price.
    It's a nice card, but you'd think if he were serious about selling it he would at least throw a 'best offer' or a 5% off sale on it every now and then. >>

If by "work for them" you mean tie up cash, decrease your turns, and tank your return on assets, then yeah, that's working. Contrary to uncle storm's ALL CAPS wisdom, overpriced BINs don't always sell without decrease in price. Sometimes they come off eBay and are held, sometimes they sell at current inflated price, and sometimes the seller decides it's time to make a sale once in a while by lowering price to more reasonable levels.

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

It's not that hard to make money this way. Auction houses are true auctions and not BINs so you get closer to market value. You just need to believe your buy was undervalued. Much easier to do with lots with break value than single cards of course. I think probstein said in one thread after REA that one of his consigners bought 100K implying that he may flip those to eBay to sell as singles.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's not that hard to make money this way. Auction houses are true auctions and not BINs so you get closer to market value. You just need to believe your buy was undervalued. Much easier to do with lots with break value than single cards of course. I think probstein said in one thread after REA that one of his consigners bought 100K implying that he may flip those to eBay to sell as singles. >>

I agree with you, but you are talking about buying lots and piecing them out. With a bit of elbow grease and the right folks to call, not difficult to make money there. But that is very different than buying a high dollar single at SCP such as the OPC Murray, then flipping that single card to Ebay.