Home Precious Metals
Options

Wisconsin Gold

This might be a little OT but there have been similar posts and I thought I would share.

A couple years ago I became more interested in finding gold in Minnesota and Wisconsin and started buying some equipment. Last Saturday, the 19th, I decided to try a spot in Western Wisconsin that is supposed to be pretty good and ended up panning my first gold! Even though it is incredibly small, it is gold, and I was happy. Ended up with eleven small flakes/specks after a couple hours of really inefficient prospecting. Almost every pan had a flake. It was just a beautiful day on a pretty stream with gold in the pan and I had a blast.

Seeing gold in your pan and how it acts gives a true appreciation for its color and incredible density, especially compared to other heavies in the pan. The reluctance of a tiny flake to move when swirling your pan is pretty amazing. And that color is unlike anything else.

I attached a couple pics. First one is of my very first flake and a couple others to show the creek. It is a smaller creek without exposed bedrock, so finding chunkier gold is not likely. Unfortunately, I did not get a group shot of the gold and imaging it in the vial hasn't worked out well. If there is any interest, I might add some more pics if I head back or if some other locations pan out. If you have any pics of gold you have personally take out of the ground, it would be neat to see what others have found.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small flake but it does stick out like a sore thumb!

Your plastic whatever, is sitting on rocks about 5 feet downstream from bedrock. See if
    you can find some bedrock that is running opposite to the flow. Good chance you'll see
    more color there.

bobimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    don't sneeze or it'll go back in the water image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Neat post.
    Hey, you did it and enjoyed it!
    That's what life should be like...doing what you enjoy no matter what the reward.
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Refreshing and interesting post! Thanks for the shareimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is way cool. I have never done this but I already like it better then ice fishing. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    If you get a chance try and catch Gold Fever with Tom Massie on the Outdoor Channel.
    He gold pans in every state, Its on every sat and monday. Nice find on the flakes,
    Here in Washington I spend more on gas going to the river than gold value I find.But its mine
    that I found and love it just as much as the eagles I have bought.
    Always looking for 1977 topps Mexican Football. Packs and boxes. Need cards #21 and #404 bad $.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you for getting out there! That's a hobby I've been meaning to get serious about for the last ten years.
    I've found a few flakes here & there... it sure feels good.
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

It might be richer there than you realize.

I've been dredging off and on for 30 yrs. Usually I pan first to see if it's worth all the work before carrying the dredge. One time in particular I was getting almost nothing in the pan. I wanted to go into town for dinner and call it a day, but my partner said he had driven too far to give up and insisted we throw the dredge in anyway. It turned out to be by far the richest paydirt we ever hit in all these years. He still reminds me about how he shouldn't listen to me. Honestly, a flake in every pan is a good sign.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way cool and neat pics image
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    No kidding about losing the flake with a sneeze. I darn near lost the thing in my snuffer bottle but after flushing some water through, I luckily saved it. A couple specks are so small they floated on the surface film of the water. But I was desperate to save everything.

Unfortunately, I do not get the Outdoor Channel. image Would love to watch the show.

A few websites mention that in 1985 the minerals division of Standard Oil Company confirmed significant placer gold in the area, so there is definitely a lot out there. I plan on heading out again next weekend. The Angus MacKirk sluice is gonna get a workout, and if I get some good gold and good pics I will be sure to update this post.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panning streams is fun, but will produce more if you study the stream. Look for bends with faster water, bedrock and crevices. Lots of gold out there... good luck... Cheers, RickO