Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official Allen & Ginter 2012 Thread

The set looks very promising this year:

Configuration: 12 boxes per case. 24 packs per box. 8 cards per pack.

Each pack contains seven (7) '12 Allen & Ginter BB Base Cards; and one (1) Allen & Ginter Mini Parallel Cards.
A Ginter Code Promo Card is added to every 6th pack as an additional card.

The product with a surprise in every pack is back with even more exciting discoveries to be made with each rip; this time with retired greats from throughout MLB history! 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball promises all the greatest MLB stars, as well as champions from all across the world of sports. With 3 hits per box - including autograph cards, relic cards, cut signatures, original Allen & Ginter cards, and Rip cards - along with the unexpected hits you've come to expect, 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball continues to deliver!

Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball returns with all the fun you've come to expect, from baseball and beyond! This year, with retired MLB stars, Lepidoptery Cards featuring actual butterflies, the unique Colony in a Card allowing collectors to create their own ecosystem, and artifacts and currency from around the world, 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball steps up its game and delivers like never before!

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Insertion rates are based on estimated production levels, which may vary from the actual insertion rates to be published on product packaging.

BASE CARDS (350 subjects)
- NEW! Retired Stars!
- 350 veterans, rookies, retired stars, public figures, and non-baseball champions. The last 50 card numbers are short-printed and inserted 1:2 packs.

MINI PARALLEL CARDS
- Mini Parallel - Original-sized version of the base cards.
- Allen & Ginter Back - Featuring a new Allen & Ginter-logo back.
- Allen & Ginter Black-Bordered
- Allen & Ginter No Number - Limited to 50.
- Allen & Ginter Baseball Back - Featuring a specially created Allen & Ginter-logo back and hand-numbered to 25.
- Allen & Ginter Wood - Hand-numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY
- Printing Plates - Featuring all four plates used to print every mini parallel and mini exclusive card. Framed and numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY
- Allen & Ginter Cloth Cards - A partial parallel featuring 150 base cards printed on cloth and framed. Sequentially numbered to 10. HOBBY ONLY

RELIC CARDS
Allen & Ginter Relics
- Framed mini cards featuring relics from over 50 MLB superstars, both active and retired, and all the other non-baseball athletes and champions.

Allen & Ginter DNA Relics
- 10 framed mini cards including a strand of hair from a historical figure. Numbered 1 of 1.

Lepidoptery Cards
- An exciting, never-before-seen type of card! These hand-crafted cards will each feature a full, pressed butterfly in an exquisite window-box-style card. These cards will be inserted into packs as redemptions and numbered. HOBBY ONLY

Allen & Ginter Book Cards
- 25 book cards featuring players and two autographs, two relics, or an autograph and a relic. Numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY

Allen & Ginter Framed Originals
- 100 framed original Allen & Ginter buybacks. Numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY

AUTOGRAPH CARDS
Allen & Ginter Autographs
- Framed mini cards featuring on-card autographs from over 30 MLB superstars, both active and retired, and all the other non-baseball athletes and champions.

Cut Signatures
- 20 cards featuring cut signatures of political and historical figures. Numbered 1 of 1.

RIP CARDS - 1 Per HOBBY Case!
100 cards featuring active and retired MLB stars, numbered and HOBBY ONLY. Keep it or RIP it? The choice is yours.
If you rip it, inside you may find:

Allen & Ginter Originals
- 30 actual, original, 1-of-1 paintings on a mini card and only found in Rip Cards.

Allen & Ginter Red Autographs
- On-card autographs from many of the Allen & Ginter Framed autograph subjects, signed in red and hand-numbered in red to 10.

Allen & Ginter Mini Exclusives
- 50 cards numbered 351-400 and found only in Rip Cards, these are mini-card variations of players' base cards.

Allen & Ginter Mini Wood Exclusives
- A wood parallel of the mini exclusives. Numbered 1 of 1.

Rip Card Reserve
- 25 redemption cards for prizes, such as an autographed jersey or bat!

FULL-SIZED INSERT CARDS
What's in a Name?
- 100 cards featuring baseball players from the past and present. Inserted 1:2 packs.

Historical Turning Points
- 20 cards featuring great battles, speeches, and decisions that have helped determine the course of civilization. Inserted 1:10 packs.

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me!
- 15 cards telling some of the most unbelievable tales from history. Inserted 1:10 packs.

World's Tallest Buildings
- 10 cards celebrating the most impressive edifices in the world. Inserted 1:10 packs.

Baseball Highlights Sketches
- 25 cards featuring reproductions of original, commissioned sketches showing some of the greatest baseball highlights of the year. Inserted 1:10 packs.

Colony in a Card
- This amazing, groundbreaking new type of card can be busted open and, when combined with water, will sprout a living, breathing colony to enjoy! 1 per case.

MINI INSERTS - Overall insertion rate for mini inserts is 1:5 packs.
People of the Bible
- 15 cards featuring some of the most important figures from the Bible.

Man's Best Friend
- 20 cards celebrating some of the most popular breeds of man's most popular companion.

World's Greatest Military Leaders
- 20 cards featuring the greatest military leaders in history.

Giants of the Deep
- 15 cards featuring various species of whale.

Musical Masters
- 16 musically minded cards featuring famous composers from throughout history.

Culinary Curiosities
- 10 cards highlighting some of the oddest dishes and most bizarre delicacies from around the world.

THE GINTER CODE
Be sure to keep an eye out for the Ginter Code. It will return, but in an all-new, surprising, engaging, and accessible format!
The first one to crack the code will win a complete set of Framed Allen & Ginter Autograph Subjects!

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER - HOBBY ONLY - ONE PER BOX!
N43 Box Loader
- 15 cards styled after the original N43 card and in the original size, featuring baseball players.

N43 Box Loader Relic
- 10 of the above cards with a relic piece and hand-numbered to 25.

N43 Box Loader Autograph
- 10 of the above cards with an on-card autograph and hand-numbered to 15.

N43 Box Loader Autographed Relic
- 5 of the above cards with an on-card autograph, a relic piece, and hand-numbered to 5.

N43 Artifacts Box Loader
- 5 cards featuring real relics from civilizations of days past. Numbered.

Baseball Highlight Cabinet Box Loaders
- 5 cabinet-card-sized box loaders will feature a 2011 baseball highlight with superimposed mini cards of the players involved in the highlight.

Rollercoaster Cabinet Box Loaders
- 5 Cabinet-card-sized box loaders featuring some of the most famous, fearsome rollercoasters from around the world.

Cabinet Relics
- 10 cabinet-card-sized box loaders featuring relics you can't find anywhere else - full jersey pieces featuring player's names or numbers. Numbered 1 of 1.

Currency of the World Cabinet Relic Box Loaders
- 30 cabinet-sized cards featuring an embedded coin from countries around the world. Numbered to 50.

I got this information from blowoutcards, but here are some additional links with checklist and sales info:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/images/baseball/checklist/2012tpallenginterBB.pdf

http://www.blowoutcards.com/images/ss/2012tpallenginterBB.pdf

Comments

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I dont think I am doing ginter this year. I still have sets from 2009 and 2010 to finish up. The autograph list does look solid this year. Should be a fun rip!
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I like the card design this year. I will probably bust a box or two, but not a case this year.

I would like to see what the DNA list is, the only one I know of looks to be Charles Dickens. I'd love to have the Edgar Allan Poe from 2011.

Man's Best Friend mini set looks fun as I'm a Siberian Husky lover (I have two of my own), and the Husky is the 1st card.

The bug thing looks......a little creepy to me.

As far as the other caveots like The Ginter Code seemed to get a little difficult in 2011 and probably won't waste my time with that one. I did attempt in 2009 and 2010.

Justin
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    I heard the same guy won in 2009 and 2010. Not sure if was also the one to break the code in 2011.
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Very Excited.

I have a case for a groupe break coming it. I have the Red Sox, Giants and Mets as my teams
  • Options

<< <i>Very Excited.

I have a case for a groupe break coming it. I have the Red Sox, Giants and Mets as my teams >>

How are you distributing all the rarities?
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Where is the best and safest place to preorder a cheap case or two?
  • Options

<< <i>Where is the best and safest place to preorder a cheap case or two? >>

blowoutcards is pretty good
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    It will do well. Some great names in auto checklist. Last couple years have been very good.
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    I am getting really excited about A&G this year. When is th release date? Week of July 9?
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    The pros are saying that this years might be the best ever. We will see on that. I also believe that topps got the memo that we didn't like pulling all insert minis
    in a box and just a few regular minis, so for us set builders it will be easier than it was the last two years. hopefully!

The autograph list is just sick

W
  • Options
    I have to agree. There is even going to be a Nolan Ryan auto in this set... I hardly EVER see Ryan autos.

Just a few of the great auto hits in this box:

Al Kaline
    Bob Gibson
    Cal Ripken Jr.
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Don Mattingly
    Ernie Banks
    Frank Robinson
    Hank Aaron
    Johnny Bench
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Mike Schmidt
    Reggie Jackson
    Sandy Koufax
    Stan Musial
    Tony Gwynn
    Willie Mays

This doesn't even include the non-sports autographs.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, real nice auto list, but I'm passing too. I tired of the 1 of 5 odds. I have too many unfinished sets, including previous A&G. Good luck guys.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Less than 3 weeks to Allen & Ginter. Quoting Bart Scott, "Can't Wait!"
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Happy to see the autos list improve. It had been getting progressively worse over the last few years. This years auto list is the best they've ever had and by a long shot.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    for those of you disappointed in the collation of the regular minis last year, topps is supposed to fix this. There should be less mini insert sets...hopefully!
  • Options
    I think Kate Upton will end up being this years Manny Pacquaio.

I'm enthused over the inclusion of more retired stars and HOF'ers.

• Options
    I do not see a guarantee of 3 framed cards per box. In the past, you were guaranteed 3 framed per box, made up of patch and auto. I haven't seen that commitment with this year's product written anywhere. Have the odds changed on pulling autos?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

There is 3 hits per box.

I ordered a case this year.

I am looking forward to the break.

Joe

• Options
    This is my first case purchase in several years. Looking forward to it :-)
  • Options
    Thought I'd change the thread title since this product is less than two weeks away from release.

Can't wait!

• Options
    Will retail be out tomorrow?
  • Options
    Not sure about retail... the 11th is street date for hobby.
  • Options
    Anyone buying "teams" from the various case breaks advertised on Ebay? If you've dealt with any of these guys and had a good experience, pls share their name. I'd like to do 1, just not sure which seller to deal with. Thx.

• Options
    I can't wait! Hoping to get some Tuesday so I can rip while I am watching the ASG, but probably Wednesday. This should be the most loaded value ginter
    in a long time!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    perhaps I will purchase a package of this product
  • Options
    Product has been spotted at retail!

Already some eBay auctions posted, including a Federer autograph.
  • Options
    Tracking says I'll have a case of this tomorrow - woohoo
  • Options

<< <i>Tracking says I'll have a case of this tomorrow - woohoo >>

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mine won't be here until Thursday
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I do want the cards and variations of Rulon Gardner (wrestler). I'll pick some up on ebay but wanted to let folks here know.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone buying "teams" from the various case breaks advertised on Ebay? If you've dealt with any of these guys and had a good experience, pls share their name. I'd like to do 1, just not sure which seller to deal with. Thx. >>

Meh.....I guess some are OK. There are a couple of guys on Blowout who do it.
    I guess if the person breaks the product live it's OK. If it's taped I wouldn't touch it.

Bottom line is if you buy the Yankees for $50 and the dual bat knob card is pulled it would be REAL easy for it to get lost in the mail and the breaker have to refund your $50 while pocketing the card.

I'm a cynic though.
  • Options
    anyone trading? I will have a ton to trade in the next few days. I am always looking for autographs and rip cards. I am really hoping to either pull or trade for a
    Palmer autograph, I grew up watching him with my dad. Also looking for any Ryan Howard. All my GU and ginter and black minis will be for trade as well as the
    insert minis. Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can trade!

WOO HOO

Waalt
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    My local hobby store got his cases today. Not doing Ginter anymore. Still have 2009 set to clean up. Feeling left out seeing all the stuff on Ebay. Good luck to all and share as much as possible.

Edit to say the checklist looks as good as it has been in years.

Dual bat knob. Very nice!
  • Options
    My case is coming in on Thursday, so by the end of the weekend I should have everything sorted and ready to trade/sell.

I don't collect mini's - basically only autographs. But I wouldn't mind trading minis to help somebody complete a set.

I'm interested in the following autographs:

Albert Pujols
    Bryce Harper (who isn't)
    Mike Trout (who isn't)
    Annie Duke
    Kate Upton
    Roger Federer

• Options
    Does Kate Upton have just an auto card or is there a game-used card as well? If so, I'm a buyer there...

• Options
    My case is on its way.

I will be doing all the regular size cards with insert sets. I should have plenty of these available.

The regular minis with insert sets. I will need quite a few of these.

I should have a list of needs and extras for trade Friday or Saturday.

Joe

• Options

<< <i>Does Kate Upton have just an auto card or is there a game-used card as well? If so, I'm a buyer there... >>

She does have a relic card.

Joe

Kate Upton dress
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a box at Target today. Fun to rip, I don't think I got anything big, but let me know if I'm wrong.

1 World Trade Center Card

Piece to the puzzle

Brooks Robinson artwork card

Sandy Koufax

That's all I remember off the top of my head. I'll post more when I get the box out to look at.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does Kate Upton have just an auto card or is there a game-used card as well? If so, I'm a buyer there... >>

Joe

Kate Upton dress >>

Does this mean the carpet matches the drapes?

• Options

<< <i>

Joe

Kate Upton dress >>

Why didn't they go with a used 'kini?

• Options
    Found a box at a store I had not been to before...

1 Base Yu RC
    Not pictured Marmol GU, Russell Martin GU

A&G Minis

Regular A&G Minis

Red Back Hardy

McEnroe Auto
  • Options
    Nice start to the season Jon

I spent the evening cleaning my desk off of all other cards to get ready for tomorrow LOL
  • Options

• Options
    For as rare as the Colony cards are supposed to be, there are plenty for sale on Ebay already. Doesn't look like much interest.... And is there only 1 type of colony card? They all appear to be the same shrimp-like thingee.

• Options
    West Yarmouth, MA, United States 07/11/2012 8:23 A.M. Out For Delivery

This is gonna be a long day at work
  • Options
    Where did you get it Mike?
  • Options
    Atlanta
  • Options
    I got wood!!!!!
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    You guys got me. I stopped by the local store and picked up a box.

It was right on the money with three hits

Erin Andrews Auto
    Matt Cain Jersey
    Ballon boy relic What the heck is that

Question:
    In past years they had no number minis, I got a no number AG back mini???

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Epic
  • Options
    2 boxes in so far. Love the Palmer - especially since it's the same color as the sweater in the pic. Makes it pop

The Reggie is the only no # I got so far and it's an AG back. Did they change the no #s to these this year?

got a Harper and Darvish in each box and a Strasburg mini too

gonna do a little sorting before box 3 and 4