Home Precious Metals
Options

Are you Buying, Selling, or Waiting to back the truck up?

LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just wondering if you are buying at these levels, selling, or stacking paper to back the truck up at a lower level...

If your waiting, when do you intend to re-enter the market?

I'm confused and just kinda nibbling a bit...

It's all about what the people want...

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loaded up the truck with silver a week ago but,,,,,,,, it was only a small 1/64 scale Tonka Truck image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been sitting tight, intend to buy some silver below $24, and sell some above $36.

Buying gold and platinum below $1330, and selling above 1700. Until one or the other happens, I'm happy with how much metal I'm sitting on.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I'm about where Baley is on silver except I'll buy at 25 image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been buying a little bit every other day or so for the last couple weeks. I'm pretty long term so I figure I'm safe buying while it's falling.
    I'm not too concerned how far it falls during this little dip. I don't think it's dropping below $25.
  • Options
    I made a good size purchase last week. I have plenty of time, so 27 or 24 or 18, I'll take it.

I will buy again in June when my bonus comes in. image

Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Bought a little gold today.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Waiting for the time being but not by choice. I called 4 LCS today but no luck. The main LCS that I go to did not have anything but said to try again this Friday (5-25-2012). I was planning to go there to see if they had any silver art bars but it looks like I will have to wait this Friday to see if they have any silver art bars that I like and want to buy. I am patient. I can wait. Not a big deal.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some gold last weekend. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buying silver ASE's

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes and no.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitting tight...I'm in no rush to buy or sell PM's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting to buy
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cautiously buying, more selective in my purchases.
    Looking at silver to hit $23.00 !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Waiting for $18-20 range, till then I'm buying numismatic material.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Buying twice a week since Feb. More lately. Mostly S w a little G for fun. I don't thing Gold is still a good deal, but I think the silver is.

Guess it doesn't matter if it goes up or down. Depends on what I sell it for later down the road.
    COA
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I'm not too concerned how far it falls during this little dip

$37 to $27 in a couple months isn't a big enough for you? My put-back "stack" is worth thousands less in 2 months. I've seen enough of the color red for awhile. How about a bounce? image

and sell some above $36
    oh yeah, and when's that supposed to be? Sure feels like longer than I'm willing to wait at this point. It's nice owning Silver, but the reality of it is that it's dead money until you can realize a gain from what is being held.

To answer the OP's ?, Timbuk3 and I are on the same page.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Buying as funds permit.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same amount of $ 3 or 4 times a month. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Any time I get a good deal at current price, I buy. If it goes down, oh well.image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some gold a couple weeks ago, and I've been nibbling on some singleton gold spouses a little bit both before and after my most recent larger buy.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I bought $120 face silver 90% this morning.

And another $140 this afternoon.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Buying.

Stopped by a local B&M to see what was available in gold, but all that was on display was a 1 oz AGE that had been removed from a bezel and was badly scratched. They weren't willing to discount it, so I passed.

I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any others in back, and after checking he came out with two beautiful 1 oz'ers (2009), which I promptly bought for spot +5%. (They have my resale # on file, so no tax.)

As the guy was writing up the sale, the store manager walked by and saw what he was doing. She asked him "Why are you selling those? We paid over $1700 for them! We're losing money on them both!". He just shrugged and kept writing.

I don't think he was supposed to bring them out.

• Options
    As the guy was writing up the sale, the store manager walked by and saw what he was doing. She asked him "Why are you selling those? We paid over $1700 for them! We're losing money on them both!". He just shrugged and kept writing.

No, it was meant to make you feel like you were getting a deal so you'll come back and buy more that they bought for way under spot. Don't be fooled. image
    Dealers don't stay in business for decades selling items for under $200 what they paid for it.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As the guy was writing up the sale, the store manager walked by and saw what he was doing. She asked him "Why are you selling those? We paid over $1700 for them! We're losing money on them both!". He just shrugged and kept writing.

No, it was meant to make you feel like you were getting a deal so you'll come back and buy more that they bought for way under spot. Don't be fooled. image
    Dealers don't stay in business for decades selling items for under $200 what they paid for it. >>

I agree, they didn't lose a cent.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>As the guy was writing up the sale, the store manager walked by and saw what he was doing. She asked him "Why are you selling those? We paid over $1700 for them! We're losing money on them both!". He just shrugged and kept writing.

Dealers don't stay in business for decades selling items for under $200 what they paid for it. >>

They didn't lose $200, but I don't doubt that they did lose some on the deal. I've known these guys for years, and they're the kind of place that pulls everything out of the cases when metals are falling, and puts it all back out when prices are back up.

The problem was that this guy knows that I'm a good wholesale customer (both buy & sell) that has dealt with them for years, so he was trying to give me special treatment, and he just got a little carried away not thinking where spot was.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Waiting.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

They didn't lose $200, but I don't doubt that they did lose some on the deal. I've known these guys for years, and they're the kind of place that pulls everything out of the cases when metals are falling, and puts it all back out when prices are back up.

The problem was that this guy knows that I'm a good wholesale customer (both buy & sell) that has dealt with them for years, so he was trying to give me special treatment, and he just got a little carried away not thinking where spot was. >>

What would you have done had she nullified the sale?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have added 100 ounces of silver this week plus some more gold. I viewed yesterday's dip in silver to around $27.30 as a fine opportunity.

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Buying little of both gold and silver at this point
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The problem was that this guy knows that I'm a good wholesale customer (both buy & sell) that has dealt with them for years, so he was trying to give me special treatment, and he just got a little carried away not thinking where spot was. >>

What would you have done had she nullified the sale? >>

I would have been disappointed, but understood and let them out of it. I've done business with them for years, and continue to do so in the future. No need to let one deal gone bad kill a relationship.

Unfortunately, the counter guy probably got a tongue lashing after I left. I might not get as good of a deal the next time I'm there.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a bunch of silver last week hoarding cash this week in anticipation of a long holiday weekend. A lot of news could come out this weekend metals might be cheaper next week.

People spend a lot of money on the first weekend of summer they may need to sell to raise cash next week, deals might start showing up Sunday night on ebay and craigslist image
  • Options
    A lot of news could come out this weekend metals might be cheaper next week.

Any rise today will be nothing more than a head fake for a downturn Tuesday...never buy/hold going into a long weekend. You heard it hear first. Hope I'm dead wrong, but I really doubt I will be this time.
  • Options

<< <i>A lot of news could come out this weekend metals might be cheaper next week.
    Any rise today will be nothing more than a head fake for a downturn Tuesday...never buy/hold going into a long weekend. You heard it hear first. Hope I'm dead wrong, but I really doubt I will be this time. >>

ok, sounds good. But may buy a few more prospector coins for fun. Buck more than earlier this week, but I still need a fix. The sdb still has a little corner I can squeeze something in.

Its nice to see the PMs right in front on you. My retirement investments went down, but its sure nice to have the PMs in hand.
    COA
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

At this point I'm waiting for silver to drop again.If it does then I get rolls,if it doesnt I get my usual handful of coins.Either way I am happy.
  • Options
    good news from euroland (true or not) will boost metals and equities.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    At this point, I'm buying any and all deals I can scoop up. We might not be at the absolute bottom, but IMO we're pretty close. I'd rather catch it near the bottom, than miss the true bottom and buy after it has rebounded up significantly.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>At this point, I'm buying any and all deals I can scoop up. We might not be at the absolute bottom, but IMO we're pretty close. I'd rather catch it near the bottom, than miss the true bottom and buy after it has rebounded up significantly. >>

Yes! And if it goes down, I'll get more.
    This was a good deal, and I got it. A man needs some protection over the holiday weekend!

10 EngelHard Prospectors..
    (3 stagecoaches last night)
    COA
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At this point, I'm buying any and all deals I can scoop up. We might not be at the absolute bottom, but IMO we're pretty close. I'd rather catch it near the bottom, than miss the true bottom and buy after it has rebounded up significantly. >>

That is what I am doing. My total for yesterday was $300 face.
  • Options
    Based on what the people buying have said on this thread, with regards to Silver, it seems the majority are buying 90%...not .999. I guess that solves the age old question of what the majority of folks buy on dips. I'll remember this thread the next time someone does a poll if they prefer 90% or .999.
  • Options
    lowest premiums/best prices with 90%. As faith in the market grows so will the willingness to pay more premium. Market trend appears to affect the .9 vs. .999 decision.

• Options
    I'm starting to worry about the PM prices 'creeping up' already. I am hoping it holds a bit more. Only got one buy in the pure $27's. We'll see tuesday and if it drops again. Get some more ASE's since you guys recommend so highly.

ps. I would buy %90 on ebay because you can get some deals at or just under melt if you chase sales and bid at 3am. But I don't think I'll ever buy silver bullion at the price they have to sell it there. I bought some Stagecoach bars for $31 from NW mint, which was $39++ on ebay.

Anywho, the 6 beer sampler at the brewpub today helped me get past my PM addiction......
    COA
  • Options
    A lot of news could come out this weekend metals might be cheaper next week.

Any rise today will be nothing more than a head fake for a downturn Tuesday...never buy/hold going into a long weekend. You heard it hear first. Hope I'm dead wrong, but I really doubt I will be this time.

Yes! And if it goes down, I'll get more
    This was a good deal, and I got it. A man needs some protection over the holiday weekend!

I'm starting to worry about the PM prices 'creeping up' already. I am hoping it holds a bit more. Only got one buy in the pure $27's. We'll see tuesday and if it drops again

Well, you certainly had some buying opportunity today, and I will add to what I said last week (really was on record here saying this since $33)...I think you're going to have plenty more. Silver aint doin' nothin' but heading down more imo.
    I'm back to really thinking about shorting the hell out of SLV.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back to really thinking about shorting the hell out of SLV.

Let's see. It is almost June. November is, let's see - 5 months out. Metals usually slow down for the summer months.

Shorting may be ok in the near term, and your intuition may be correct. However...

The election is in, let's see - November, 5 months out. Surely the administration will do EVERYTHING to make the economy "look good" for the next 5 months, right?

That would mean money creation for more spending, I think. My former father-in-law had a funny saying, "there you go - thinking again".

And then, there's Europe. I can only absorb so much in 1 day's time about how badly Europe is screwed. I'd hate to be a German living in Germany now. Almost *everybody else* is going to be talking about how "cruel" you are, almost as if you were a Republican in the US.

Which always means that the politicians will vote for more free money, more benefits, more bank bailouts and more debt. Unfortunately, the math doesn't always work out, which is why we are seeing bond premiums jump again in Spanish debt, not to mention Greece and whatever they are doing.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Silver won't have to wait 30 years. I wouldn't be too short for too long. Not everyone's a cohodk.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Shorting may be ok in the near term

That's exactly the plan. Since I can't make anything on the physical right now, I'm forced to short to make some $. I don't need any more physical, I'm full. I'd rather short SLV and hopefully make a few bucks, then the physical is beat down to whatever it is at that time, then THAT is the time to buy the physical.