Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Camp David Peace Dollar counterstamp

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
Peace dollar

Illini found this one for me. I think it fits into my Dansco 7070 counterstamp collection as an emblamatic coin of the 20th century. Not only is the counterstamp and holder cool, I like the host coin as well.

I don't plan on "cracking" it out, I use the album for all of the "raw" coins in the set.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Definitely a very cool and attractive item IMO. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    HotfootspinHotfootspin Posts: 430 ✭✭
    That is very cool!

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm, you sure you don't want to just return that one to the seller image

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin envy is wrong.image
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    That is very nice.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    Found another one of these at the Long Beach show... wasn't in the original holder though, but it was also a pretty example.

I figured I'd ask PCGS if they would certify and holder the coin since that would be a neat alternative to having the original case. When I asked about it, the customer service people at the PCGS weren't sure they graded counterstamped coins, so that didn't work out.

The next day, while PCGS was having their daily one hour meet the expert sessions, I decided to show the coin to David Hall and asked him about it. I tried to convince him that PCGS should be holdering these coins in some fashion.

Ideally, I believe they should grade the coin (as best they can) and note the Camp David counterstamp on the label... similar to what is done with chopmarks on Trade Dollars. Alternatively, they could just call it BU and not attempt to assign a numerical grade. And worst case, they should at least put it in a PCGS Genuine holder and use the .98 code for Damage. If I took a BU Peace Dollar and smacked it with a hammer, they'd put it in a Genuine holder... so they surely should do the same if that hammer happens to have words and markings engraved on it image

Mr. Hall agreed to consider the situation and he took the coin with him for review back at PCGS. Will keep you guys posted as to the outcome.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420
    Found another one of these at the Long Beach show... wasn't in the original holder though, but it was also a pretty example.

I figured I'd ask PCGS if they would certify and holder the coin since that would be a neat alternative to having the original case. When I asked about it, the customer service people at the PCGS weren't sure they graded counterstamped coins, so that didn't work out.

The next day, while PCGS was having their daily one hour meet the expert sessions, I decided to show the coin to David Hall and asked him about it. I tried to convince him that PCGS should be holdering these coins in some fashion.

Ideally, I believe they should grade the coin (as best they can) and note the Camp David counterstamp on the label... similar to what is done with chopmarks on Trade Dollars. Alternatively, they could just call it BU and not attempt to assign a numerical grade. And worst case, they should at least put it in a PCGS Genuine holder and use the .98 code for Damage. If I took a BU Peace Dollar and smacked it with a hammer, they'd put it in a Genuine holder... so they surely should do the same if that hammer happens to have words and markings engraved on it

Mr. Hall agreed to consider the situation and he took the coin with him for review back at PCGS. Will keep you guys posted as to the outcome.;

Any update yet?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Ideally, I believe they should grade the coin (as best they can) and note the Camp David counterstamp on the label... similar to what is done with chopmarks on Trade Dollars. Alternatively, they could just call it BU and not attempt to assign a numerical grade. And worst case, they should at least put it in a PCGS Genuine holder and use the .98 code for Damage. If I took a BU Peace Dollar and smacked it with a hammer, they'd put it in a Genuine holder... so they surely should do the same if that hammer happens to have words and markings engraved on it image

Mr. Hall agreed to consider the situation and he took the coin with him for review back at PCGS. Will keep you guys posted as to the outcome.

Wouldn't this open the door to "ALL" the Mel Wacks Counterstamped Coins?

And in turn, cause problems with the non-Mel Wacks Counter stamped coins such as this one?

Middle East Peace Accord

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I have a Sadat-Begin-Carter restrike in a 2x2, can't imagine pcgs will grade / validate it.

Kinda like Dan Carr 64 peace restrike.

There are limits.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

I have a Sadat-Begin-Carter restrike in a 2x2, can't imagine pcgs will grade / validate it.

There are limits.

Neither coin you describe are "restrikes". They are "overstrikes".

Regardless, I know what you are saying and I think you may be right.

Especially since this thread is from close to 4 years ago (2012).

Had PCGS decided to holder or certify the coins, it would have been huge news.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PCGS would not encapsulate these for me at the time. They told me these needed to be in a catalog of some sort first before they'd consider it. Mel Wacks does have them cataloged online, but not sure that's enough.

I have seen them encapsulated by ANACS and NGC though. And given some of the other coins PCGS had been grading lately like other counterstamps, I think the chances of PCGS grading one of these today is much higher than it was a couple years ago.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 19Lyds

There are limits.

Neither coin you describe are "restrikes". They are "overstrikes".

Regardless, I know what you are saying and I think you may be right.
    Especially since this thread is from close to 4 years ago (2012).

Had PCGS decided to holder or certify the coins, it would have been huge news.

Yep, overstrike, restrike, my bad, 4 year old thread, didn't notice.

+1 for "Regardless" Usually it's "Irregardless", which is informal, not recognized, regardless is correct.

At least to me. Others will differ.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one currently on eBay for $999.99 or best offer. There are also several other Mel Wacks overstrikes that are priced a lot less on eBay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    There is one currently on eBay for $999.99 or best offer. There are also several other Mel Wacks overstrikes that are priced a lot less on eBay.

That one's been up there for awhile and will likely be up there forever at that price!

I see these at local shops in SoCal every so often and get them when I can. Always have at least a couple in inventory and they seem to sell at the Long Beach shows in the $200-$300 range depending on the overall eye appeal and whether they're in the original case or not.

An NGC MS63 graded example sold on Heritage last night for $376.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are limits.

PCGS would not encapsulate these for me at the time. They told me these needed to be in a catalog of some sort first before they'd consider it. Mel Wacks does have them cataloged online, but not sure that's enough.

I have seen them encapsulated by ANACS and NGC though. And given some of the other coins PCGS had been grading lately like other counterstamps, I think the chances of PCGS grading one of these today is much higher than it was a couple years ago.

Note that the "Carr 1964-D" Peace Dollar over-strikes are listed in one of the PCGS approved catalogs: Krause "Unusual World Coins", 6th edition, United States section, page 696.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dcarr

There are limits.

Note that the "Carr 1964-D" Peace Dollar over-strikes are listed in one of the PCGS approved catalogs: Krause "Unusual World Coins", 6th edition, United States section, page 696.

I just had PCGS certify a couple of the 1984 squared quarters listed right by your Peace Dollars in that same catalog. If I had one of your 1964-D Peace Dollars, I'd certainly send them in to PCGS for grading image

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and extreamly interesting
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice coin.... I would definitely enjoy having one in my collection of esoterica......

Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file