Home Precious Metals
Options

? on buying silver bars

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking of getting a few one ounce silver bars tomorrow at a small, 30-40 tables, club coin show. Knowing silver spot is $28.72, how much should I expect to pay for a generic 1oz silver bar? TIA

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    freechancefreechance Posts: 380 ✭✭
    I would expect to pay $30 for a few 1 ozers
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    For generic 1oz you should be looking for spot for old christmas rounds and the like. $1 or less over for anything else. You will probably be getting prices of + $2 but that's too much.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that $30 is a good price. Today I picked up two ASE seconds (black crud on one and shake and bake toning on the other) for $30. I wish the LCS had had more. I was quoted $32.50 and $33.00 for uncirculated common ASE's elsewhere.
  • Options
    With spot silver currently at $28.72/oz, expect to pay anywhere between $29-$31 for 1-oz silver bars.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30 would be about right at current spot..... You may find some dealers who have held inventory for a long time that go a tad lower, but not likely. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I found very meager inventories at three LCS. They were cleaned out during the week.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to the show today. The dealers wanted from $31.50 to $36.00 for generic one ounce bars. I didn't buy any. I did pick up a couple low grade Morgan Dollars for $23 each.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I paid $31.50 Friday at my local, for proof like buffalo rounds, and two random-mint bars. I was content to support them for the $.50. Which works out to about the same with a .99ct over special at apmex, including shipping. Only place ever been able to get dollar-over with no extra charges was a pawn shop, but then I had to drive there.

Got a mexican cinco posas in good shape for $20, mercury dime for$2.25, silver nickel for $1.75, silver can dime, and trade token and pennies thrown in. Meaning the price is a little realitive.

Don't intend to sell any silver until it hits at least $20 higher over purchase.
    COA
  • Options
    With the recent price drop, a lot of the local shops in my area were cleaned out also. My favorite dealer had a whole bunch of Pacific Mint art bars with corvettes on them. He had them forever. But most were gone when I went there on Monday.

So many questions. So few answers.
  • Options

<< <i>With the recent price drop, a lot of the local shops in my area were cleaned out also. My favorite dealer had a whole bunch of Pacific Mint art bars with corvettes on them. He had them forever. But most were gone when I went there on Monday. >>

Not very surprising that the local shops in my area did not have any silver art bars that I wanted. Most of the local places have been cleaned out with this recent drop in the spot silver price.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.