Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 9, 2012: 5 Silvers including 3-coin pocket spill of Barber Half, SLQ and Barber dime!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Oh my! How unexpected!!

Got out today to a local recreation area that's yielded a couple of mercs in the past. Within 5 minutes a 1945 Merc comes up! Not too shabby.

About 20 minutes later I get a shallow dime signal, but instead of a clad Roosie, a 1946 shows up! I think this area tends to be more of a rain drainage area, so that's why it's darker. WOO HOO, silver #2 for the day! I was hoping to find a silver quarter as I didn't have any (yet) for the year.

After an hour of pretty much nothing I get a clear, but deeper high pitch signal. I figure I'd dig it even though I was digging pieces of soda cans all day. In the bottom of the hole I suddenly see bright metal... but instead of thinking coins, I was thinking it was that round part that gets punched out when you open a soda. I picked it up and noticed it was pretty big. What the heck? Wait a second, there's two things?? Turns out to be a 1925 Standing Liberty Quarter sitting on top of a 1902 Barber Half! I stuck the ol' Pistol Probe in the hole and got another signal. After a shovelfull comes out, the 1913 Barber dime comes to light! Then I got a nickel signal in the pile, a Buffalo Nickel. Also had two wheat cents in the hole - one is 1913, the other is 1913 or 1918. What a pocket spill. I couldn't concentrate after that and decided to call it a day.

Go figure... no barber half in my 20 years of off-and-on detecting, and then two within a few weeks. Plus it was nice to finally find a Barber dime, as well as my first silver quarter for the year - certainly beats a silver Washington Too!

I tried taking a video too: I don't like how the phone doesn't focus, but you can get the idea: Video Here

Comments