Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Colorful 1699 Leopold The Hogmouth Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
This just came in. Very colorful eye appealing piece with razor sharp details.

1699 Leopold I (1657-1705) "The Hogmouth" Taler
Hall Mint
DAV-3245A (Thinner Bust)
MS-63 NGC

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that a hanging sheep on the rev at 6 o'clock? If so - cool.

I didn't know that symbol was so old. Need to do some research.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that a hanging sheep on the rev at 6 o'clock? If so - cool.

I didn't know that symbol was so old. Need to do some research. >>

That would be the golden fleece.

<< <i>The Order of the Golden Fleece was established in 1430 by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy in celebration of the properous and wealthy domaines united in his person that ran from Flanders to Switzerland. Just as with the Danish Order of the Elephant, it is not known why Phillip chose the golden fleece as the sign and symbol of his order. Some point out the great wealth he obtained from the wool trade in Flanders, others to the spread of humanism and classical literature, and yet others point to the symbol of Jason for the archangel Gideon. In his youth Philip always longed to go on crusade to the golden East, and so the choice of Jason journying east to gain the golden reward may be a rememberance of his desires. We must also remember that Jason chose a select crew of the greatest of the Greek warriors, and Philip's "Compaignons" of the Fleece are his crew of dedicated, Christian demi-saints.

The sovereignty of the order, in hereditary possession of the House of Burgundy, was, in default of a male heir, destined for the husband of the heiress of the Duchy until the majority of her son. In 1477, the Grand Mastership passed, therefore, to the House of Habsburg following the marriage of Mary, daughter of Charles the Bold, last Duke of Burgundy, to Archduke (later Emperor) Maximilian of Austria. Following the marriage of Joan (Juana) the Mad of Castille and Aragon with Archduke Phillip of Austria (son of Maximilian and Mary), control of the order passed in 1516 to the Spanish branch ot the House of Habsburg. At that time the Order was enlarged by 10 places for Spanish members, clearly indicating the Habsburgs long-term plans for Spain in their patrimony. The first Spanish investisure came in 1519, the year of Charles' accession. Charles V (I), son of Phillip, willed the Grand Mastership of the order along with the throne of Spain to his son, Phillip II, after having, in 1521, ceded his Austrian possessions to his brother Ferdinand I. This last act was very important years later when both Austria and Spain claimed the order.

In 1700, the last of the Spanish Habsburgs, Charles II, designated as his heir his grand-nephew, Phillip of France, Duke of Anjou, grandson of Louis XV, who became Phillip V (a designation that led to the War of the Spanish Succession). The legitimate Sovereign Heads of the order, Phillip V and Ferdinand VI, united the Golden Fleece to the Crown of Spain, the Duchy of Burgundy existing only in theory, having been annexed by France in the reign of Louis XI.

However, in 1712, the Head of the House of Austria reclaimed the order, together with the Spanish crown, appropriated the treasury of the order, and proclaimed himself Soverign Head. The treasury was later brought to Vienna from Bruges when threatened by French revolutionaries (where it remains to this day). Since 1712, therefore, there have been two Orders of the Golden Fleece, the one being confered by the Austrian Monarch, the other by the Spanish Monarch, and each contesting the legitimacy of the other. >>

• Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    WOW what a great score.
    Lovely piece Z.
    You should crack it out and put it into my hands.

KThanks.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    Just an innocent question from a non-computer language person ... What does the intro moniker "NEWP" stand for?
  • Options
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    Thank you .. for the life of me, I couldn't think of any phrase with the 4 words starting with NEWP. Whew!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you .. for the life of me, I couldn't think of any phrase with the 4 words starting with NEWP. Whew! >>

Because this coin is so nice, I think NEWP should stand for Not Ever Worth Purloining. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVP without your stamp of approval I remain in limbo! Thank you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you .. for the life of me, I couldn't think of any phrase with the 4 words starting with NEWP. Whew! >>

Because this coin is so nice, I think NEWP should stand for Not Ever Worth Purloining. image >>

Z - I meant to express that I like the coin so much that I'd never sell, but I think it didn't come out that way. Sorry.

Let's try again... NEWP should stand for Not Ever Will Purloin. I think that fits better. image

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    beautiful coin!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I have come to realise that Zohar, 2K, EVP, Deigratia must all live in a world where superlatives become everyday language.

Every time one of these collectors post a coin, the only words that can be used are beautiful, wonderful, superb, glorious and so on.

So in the light of my last statment, Zohar your coin is beautiful, wonderful, superb and glorious. But man that family must have been so inbred it was almost inside out!!
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have come to realise that Zohar, 2K, EVP, Deigratia must all live in a world where superlatives become everyday language.

Every time one of these collectors post a coin, the only words that can be used are beautiful, wonderful, superb, glorious and so on.

So in the light of my last statment, Zohar your coin is beautiful, wonderful, superb and glorious. But man that family must have been so inbred it was almost inside out!! >>

That's because I only post images of my beautiful coins lol.

I keep all my ugly coins locked away in a dark cave...
  • Options
    Many years ago, a very prominent light-side dealer told me always to buy the best that my budget can afford. Through her guidance, I went through my entire silver dollar collection and got rid of everything that didn't have a 'wow' factor. With that money, I bought very nice replacement coins.

I'm still thinning out my collections, light- and dark-side. I'm slowly parting ways with my nice but otherwise ho-hum talers. I also have a nice grouping of mid-19th century talers that I may sacrifice.

EVP

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I wonder where "Z" got his avatar?
    Paul
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭