Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you ship and insure a card valued over $50k+.

How do you ship and insure a card valued over $50k+. I know the USPS will only insure up to $25,000. Is there a way to purchase additional insurance?

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Deliver it in person and make a vacation out of it image
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    If no other options exist you can always cut it in half and send
    each half in a separate USPS box insured for $25k each. ;-)

Seriously, at that value I would consider hand delivering it

Dave
  • Options
    Hand deliver.

I agree.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Deliver it in person and make a vacation out of it. image >>

+1
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Hand delivery would be best but that's not always doable. I'm positive there are companies that offer additional insurance but I don't know of any off the top of my head. I've never had to (nor will I ever) have to worry about that. LOL
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    courier services will do it, for a much higher rate than USPS. Is the item paid for?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I sold off my complete PCGS graded set of 1965-date Roosevelt dimes, I inquired about this very question. Although my set did not exceed quite $25K, it was close.

I was told by a USPS teller that when something that expensive needs to be sent, it is usually assigned a single courier and that they are solely responsible for said package. They of course do not "Hand deliver" the package, but as it travels, they assign it to another Courier and it has to be "Signed for" throughout the USPS process until it is delivered to your door. Not quite sure if this is true, but the service has to be there. Not everyone can just up and travel to deliver a single package 3,000 miles from where they are at.

I had about 90 dimes, so I broke it up into 4 smaller, less weight packages and did not send out the next package until the previous one had been delivered. When I sold my dimes, I had considered flying from Chicago to San Diego.

Good question.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... I just looked on the UPS website.

Sending a 6"x6"x6" one pound package from Long Island to California, insured at $50,000.00 with Delivery Confirmation and an adult signature would run about Five Hundred Dollars.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    PWE & a 1st Class Stamp

Let it ride!
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Plane Ticket
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I sold off my complete PCGS graded set of 1965-date Roosevelt dimes, I inquired about this very question. Although my set did not exceed quite $25K, it was close.

I was told by a USPS teller that when something that expensive needs to be sent, it is usually assigned a single courier and that they are solely responsible for said package. They of course do not "Hand deliver" the package, but as it travels, they assign it to another Courier and it has to be "Signed for" throughout the USPS process until it is delivered to your door. Not quite sure if this is true, but the service has to be there. Not everyone can just up and travel to deliver a single package 3,000 miles from where they are at. >>

I believe the above is registered mail, which is how most expensive packages should travel.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PWE & a 1st Class Stamp

Let it ride! >>

postage due is always the classy move for a piece like this.
  • Options

<< <i>PWE & a 1st Class Stamp

Let it ride! >>

Beat me to it!
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • Options
    This thread has me envisioning the next Steven Seagal film... "The Courier"
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has me envisioning the next Steven Seagal film... "The Courier" >>

I believe it's a Jason Statham film
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I would PM Rick, he has probably shipped items of that value before.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options

<< <i>Deliver it in person and make a vacation out of it image >>

I did this several months ago for 3 items (2 graded cards + 1 x auto baseball) valued at a total of $7k. I had tons of airline miles, so I burned them for the transit. I flew from Lincoln, NE to Atlanta, GA following a bank to bank wire transfer (hand carried on the plane; no way would I check these items). I also got tickets to the Falcons vs Packers NFL game (huge Pack fan here). I hand delivered the card about 4 hrs prior to the game at a restaurant near the dome, saw the game, slept off a hang over, and flew home the next day. 29 productive hours. Meatloaf
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread has me envisioning the next Steven Seagal film... "The Courier" >>

I believe it's a Jason Statham film >>

Good call - I actually enjoyed that flick.

The Seagal version involves: Baltimore, the National, Canadian organized crime, Quebec separatists, T206 Honus Wagner, the USS Consitution and John Lithgow as Dr. James Beckett.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    How would in person delivery be covered by PayPal? (serious question as it is a potential option on somethings I sold)
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Have them pay in-person (unless it's too late for that).
  • Options

<< <i>How would in person delivery be covered by PayPal? (serious question as it is a potential option on somethings I sold) >>

good question.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How would in person delivery be covered by PayPal? (serious question as it is a potential option on somethings I sold) >>

good question. >>

The answer:

It wouldn't be covered.

Tabe
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

good question. >>

The answer:

It wouldn't be covered.

Tabe >>

That's what I figured the answer may have been. I just mailed the items.
  • Options
    cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I've shipped several packages of similar value over the years. Overnight fedEX is without question the best. You can track it every step of the way.

By the way...shipping insurance for collectibles is a scam. You can insure anything for $50k, but that doesn't mean they will pay out that amount on a claim. You need to prove the value of an item....and a check or paypal payment doesn't count. Graded cards are eaier to prove, but rare memorabilia and autographs are nearly impossible.

Mark
  • Options
    Send it USPS REGISTERED, RESTRICTED DELIVERY, RETURN RECEIPT REQUEST. This is the _uckin best !!!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've shipped several packages of similar value over the years. Overnight fedEX is without question the best. You can track it every step of the way.

By the way...shipping insurance for collectibles is a scam. You can insure anything for $50k, but that doesn't mean they will pay out that amount on a claim. You need to prove the value of an item....and a check or paypal payment doesn't count. Graded cards are eaier to prove, but rare memorabilia and autographs are nearly impossible.

Mark >>

You take a BIG risk using Fedex because they will only cover $500 insurance. I do agree though that it is the best as far as being able to track it. I also would say if using Fedex,
    to ship protected using Fedex envelope because those get sorted seperate from all the boxes and heavy stuff. All envelopes get bagged up and sorted away from all the other freight.
    This helps from the item being damaged and odds are it wont if its sent in a Fedex envelope (you can still wrap the card/cards for protection and stick it in the envelope)
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook