Home Metal Detecting
Options

Out of State 4/27 thru 5/1/12 - Bunch of goodies during my trip

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
I'm going to apologize in advance... long, wordy post to follow...

Got out of state to visit my buddy for a few days. The past couple times I've gone there I've hit this park...the bottle cap park as I call it. There are so many bottle cap signals, it's usually best to just go for the coin signals, unfortunately.

4/27 - Verified there were still a lot of bottle cap singals... coin signals it is.
Ended with:

1925 Merc
1921 Canada Dime
1907 & 1893 IHC
18 Wheats (1929-D, 1945, 1957-D, 1944, 1925, 1928, 1940, 1940, 1913-D, 1946, 1949, 1910, 1941, 1918, 1941, 1950-D, 1929, 1912)
I believe that ring is silver plated
gold plated owl charm
Boy Scout piece of something

4/28 - Still a lot of bottle caps. Started off with a 1961 Roosie, then a half hour later a nice 1945 Merc! It was pretty slow for a while so I moved to a different area. Now, apparently, I'm not the only one who cherry picks the coin signals... It looks like the other people who've detected there leave the nickel, foil, etc signals.
After a few minutes a 1919 Buffalo nickel pops out!
Then a V Nickel (not sure which date)
Then ANOTHER V NICKEL
AND THEN TWO MORE V NICKELS IN ONE HOLE
That's a first... never had a 4 V nickel day....but the other detectorists just bypassed them. Dates are 1903, 1897, 1900, 1890
So, in an attempt to search for some gold (inspired by PPC's 15 pieces of gold per hunt image) I start digging some low conducitivity signals. But the only keeper was an older looking gold plated pin.
Also got 5 wheats - 1924, 1958-D, 1914, 1917, 1918

4/30 (and trying to recover from my night in Canada) - Decided to try taking advantage of the others passing up foil/nickel signals (and apparently pull tab signals as well). After 15 minutes, not a thing but then got a copper lincoln signal...BUT, just under the surface is a silver pendant... try to yank it out but it's attached to something - its chain. Luckily I didn't blast through it with my shovel, but somehow, not only is the chain in tact, but it still clasped shut, that's an odd one how it got lost.
Then the lawn mower was chasing me around, and while trying to get away I get a pull tab signal at several inches - Indian Head Cent.
Then the cufflink society apparently had a disposal ceremony - I believe I have 3 cufflinks... all may have been gold plated. Man, where's the gold??
Then, out comes a gold cross! NO, gold filled.
Get another IHC too, that one's in nice shape detail wise, not planchet.
Also looks like an old earring?
Got a buffalo nickel at some point too, dateless
Also a weird pendant-like thing that has Columbus on front, but the Lords prayer on the back?? It's on the right next to the IHCs

5/1 - Today - had a couple hours before I had to leave my buddy's town. Got a 1942 Merc. Then a ring that started to open the clouds up and angels sing... it's gold! NO, it's not, it's made in India for bubble gum machines, but it sure looked good at first. Gold has certainly been elusive, but glad PPC's finding some!

Overall, a good trip with a good mix of finds. Hope you guys actually made it through this thread! HH all.

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I recognise the Boy Scout spmething in the top photo as what was used to hold the scarf or whatever it was called around your neck. The two twisted together ends were put thru it to hold it together in front like a borello(sp?).
    Great finds for one trip!
    Congrats.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... quite a trip.... a lot of great finds ... in what state were you MD'ing?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats some nice scores! Congrats
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Thats a Cub Scout neckerchief slide. The pocket knife has the Boyscout symbol on it. Cool digs.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure know how to pick a spot. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pick ups. what kind of watch is that? just curious image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments everyone! It was certainly a busy week. Was hoping some gold would show, but it wasn't to be this time.

<< <i>nice pick ups. what kind of watch is that? just curious image >>

I see "EX" so it's either a Rolex or a Timex, haha.

It's definitely a... TIMEX.

<< <i>Wow.... quite a trip.... a lot of great finds ... in what state were you MD'ing?? Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, I believe I was hovering around your state!