Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about Mercury Dime Newp

This 1938-S is in an older smaller ANACS MS65FB slab. Do you think it has a chance to cross to PCGS? I am worried about the black toning being considered environmental damage.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it is environmental damage, but I think it makes the coin possess negative eye appeal. Moreover, why would you want to cross this coin anyway? I realize that it is hard to find with full split bands than some other dates, but the price premium isn't that great and most of the value of the coin would be consumed by grading fees and shipping.
  • Options
    P.S. PCGS will often ding coins for negative eye appeal. I don't know if the coin will cross. Maybe a quick dip in a light concentration dip will help the coin. I personally would leave it alone.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I am looking to cross this one because the case is badly cracked. It doesn't affect the viewing of the coin, but it does the lower the price that I can ask for it. If this did cross, I would easily get my money back in a sale.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That black toning would probably dip off, but I like it the way it is. And I think it will cross fine.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing about the toning....if it is old, and set in, dipping it may remove the surface and you won't have a nice looking coin (ie....you will have spots where the toning was but that look different from the rest of the coin since they will have lost the top layer of metal).

I dipped a very low value WLH once that had dark/black toning in a spot and that is what I noticed. I have also heard others say the same.

I do agree that, if a dip wouldn't harm it, then it would benefit it as that look is not a nice look.
    Rest of the coin surface looks like it has nice luster.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is 50/50. Some cross some come back .92 (cleaned) I had too many coins come back as cleaned right out of old ANACS holders.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks better than 65 and some very nice bands

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a perspective of nicks, I would say you have a 65...or maybe a 66, hard to tell from the photos and I am not sure if there is a bad nick in the middle of the nose or not. However, I have submitted a 64FB ANACS coin and had it come back as 62FB. I believe they did not like the toning on the coin. If I had your coin in hand and thought the luster was all there under the toning then I would use MS70(while wearing chemical gloves) on it via q-tip to very gently remove at least the majority of the grime then rinse thoroughly then air dry....then submit it to PCGS raw. That's what I would do.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade this coin MS 60, throw it back in the roll. The dark toning is horrible and detracting. I am not going to sugar coat this, it is an ugly low end coin and a candidate for a conversation service. If you think i am joking go start it on ebay at 99c.

The toning will only get worse as time goes on. I like coins that are brilliant, white, and PQ with exceptional luser. No spots or major marks. These coins are strong sellers.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade this coin MS 60, throw it back in the roll. The dark toning is horrible and detracting. I am not going to sugar coat this, it is an ugly low end coin and a candidate for a conversation service. If you think i am joking go start it on ebay at 99c.

I don't know what coin you're looking at, but this one is a 65 in any holder. You may not like the toning, but it is original and not dipped out to look white. There are no major marks on the face or in the fields. I would cross it. I've put together and sold many sets over the years and have handled thousands of BU Mercury dimes, so I know something about grading them. I quit selling on Ebay 7 or 8 years ago whenever the scammers put a dent in people buying coins for anything reasonable.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cougar1978 said it well... cleaning/dipping that crud/tarnish will likely result in more ugliness... Coins without environmental damage are preferred by many, tarnish hides defects.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Better than 50/50 shot IMHO.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is 50/50. Some cross some come back .92 (cleaned) I had too many coins come back as cleaned right out of old ANACS holders. >>

I just cracked an Old Small ANACS Holder that had my coin as "Cleaned", sent it in raw to PCGS, and it now resides in a problem free holder.

You just never know...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file