Home Metal Detecting
Options

Mowing the grass in April in Upstate NY leads to first silver find of the year for me!

Never in my nearly 45 years of being on this planet have I had to mow the grass in April in upstate NY- that was until this past Saturday, but it did lead to a good find tonight! I noticed while mowing that over the winter at the corner of our lot- which is at a street intersection in a small town in between a bank and gas station- alot of cars/trucks had jumped whats left of the old curb and dug into the grass bank which is on a pretty steep incline at this location. Well tonight I got the detector out and made a few passes- first signal was of course a crushed bottle cap- second signal was a surprise when this popped out:

imageimage

First silver of the year for me (heck I've only been out twice prior anyways) and a great way to start! - and I do believe it is my oldest US silver coin to date as well surpasses my 1899 barber dime found a few years back.Only thing better would to have seen a nice "O" or "S" mint mark- looks like solid VF/XF details- being so close to road no doubt the salt helped eat it up a little. A sweep of the rest of the exposed ground yielded 27 cents more in modern coins, but looks like I've found a spot close to home to keep an eye on ever spring.HH

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that you were going to say that you found it in a bare spot when you were mowing which would be a great eyeball find. Spotting little places to hunt is a sign of good metal detectorist.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice finding silver close to home! Nice old barber too.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find Kevin... and I understand about April mowing.. I mowed twice.. unbelievable... (In NYS also).... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I needed to mow the last week of February, but put it off 'till March. image

Only about 8-10 days of real "south Ga" winter weather down here this season. Maybe it's saving up and it'll come during July and August. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Cool find... I wish you many more to come