Home Precious Metals
Options

ebay seller reminder

derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
don't forget: Effective Tuesday, ebay raises the cap on your auction style listing final valuation fee from $100 to $250, unless you have an ebay store.. Sales greater than $1,111 will see a higher FVF.

This may affect bullion listings as sellers go elsewhere, jack their starting prices or move to Buy It Now listings.

Spring seller update for those that missed it.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opening a store would only cost you $16 per month....why would they move elsewhere? You can't beat eBay's fetching price for bullion. Heck, even the non silver .999 German Silver Buffalo bars are going for $20+image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    $16/month for a store has definitely helped me keep some profit.
    This is what I sent to a friend recently to help him understand the jist of it, so I hope this helps a little to make sense of it.

$0.01-$50.00
    7.5% of the total cost to the buyer

$50.01-$1,000.00
    7.5% of the initial $50.00, plus 4.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01-$1,000.00)

$1,000.01 or more
    7.5% of the initial $50.00, plus 4.0% of the next $50.01-$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance

So let's say you sell an item for $300 and started it out at .99. Without a store, your FVF would be $27.

With a store it would be $13.75. You've almost saved your monthly fee to maintain a store in one $300 transaction.

The downside is there are no free listings...the most is $2.00 to list something starting at more than $200, not too bad. The whole month of March was free to list starting at any value though, .01 or $10000, didn't matter, no fee. So they do throw a bone every now & then.

There is no $100 maximum FVF, see the chart. So that would hurt a little bit selling items for more than $1200.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    piecesofme, thanks for explaining that..... I think I might need to open a store.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>piecesofme, thanks for explaining that..... I think I might need to open a store. >>

+1 Thanks

I don't list a whole lot, so I've just been using up my 50 free listings (with somewhat BIN prices) and then another 10-40 99 cent start auctions. But I am getting to the point where it could be cost effective to switch over to a store sometime soon.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    The store thing made sense to me, so I did it. Saved a lot on fees. Then one day I see I made power seller and top rated. whoop dee doo I thought, till my bill came and I was quite surprised. Figure the savings on that one bill alone wold pay my store front for a year. Now the requirement to have a 14 return policy on non bullion items has me miffed but I'll still do it for the extra 5% discount on top of the 20%.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    I don't mind changing to a 14 day return on non-bullion items. Coins aren't going to change that much in value over 14 days, bullion could and I think it's cool of eBay to recognize that. ( did I just give eBay a compliment???) image
    I was surpirsed at the 20% discount thing too when I became a top seller, nice little incentive.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What annoys me is the requirement to upload tracking numbers. If you print labels through paypal or ebay its automatic and thats no problem. Most of my listings are covered Sometimes you don't do that for whatever reason and then you are supposed to upload them or you can lose your status . I sell truck parts and a few coins what happens if I have 10 sales this month and 2 are local pick up or freighted? I'm only at 80% tracking upload do I lose the top rated benefits?

What about all those guys who say put a single 90% half dollar up starting at 1 cent with free shipping? The assumption is you are going to put it in an envelope with a stamp or 2 and mail it that way. It works just fine 99% of the time but If you need a tracking number suddenly your shipping cost triples because you have to send a padded envelope . What safety does a tracking number add to the transaction on a 5 to 15 dollar sale? Now the sale just isn't going to happen. If you increase the shipping cost then buyers will just take it out of the bid.

• Options

<< <i>What annoys me is the requirement to upload tracking numbers. If you print labels through paypal or ebay its automatic and thats no problem. Most of my listings are covered Sometimes you don't do that for whatever reason and then you are supposed to upload them or you can lose your status . I sell truck parts and a few coins what happens if I have 10 sales this month and 2 are local pick up or freighted? I'm only at 80% tracking upload do I lose the top rated benefits?

What about all those guys who say put a single 90% half dollar up starting at 1 cent with free shipping? The assumption is you are going to put it in an envelope with a stamp or 2 and mail it that way. It works just fine 99% of the time but If you need a tracking number suddenly your shipping cost triples because you have to send a padded envelope . What safety does a tracking number add to the transaction on a 5 to 15 dollar sale? Now the sale just isn't going to happen. If you increase the shipping cost then buyers will just take it out of the bid. >>

The secret is: don't list individual COIN items worth $10 or less. List 2, 3 or more x $10 items in one auction. I avoid listing individual coins or PM's worth less than $50 BTW..It costs the same for USPS generated labels through eBay on a padded envelopes up to 3 oz total weight or 2 oz worth of coins or PM.
  • Options

If you avoid listing items under $50 then you won't be a powerseller unless you spend a lot more time on ebay. You need 100 transactions in a year to qualify . If you don't then you can't reach power seller status or top rated either so you can't get a discount at all . All this does is remove the discounts for half the top rated sellers eventually or make the ones that want to keep the discounts jump through twice as many hoops. The next step is no discounts at all so why not stop the bleeding right now

• Options

<< <i>If you avoid listing items under $50 then you won't be a powerseller unless you spend a lot more time on ebay. You need 100 transactions in a year to qualify . If you don't then you can't reach power seller status or top rated either so you can't get a discount at all . All this does is remove the discounts for half the top rated sellers eventually or make the ones that want to keep the discounts jump through twice as many hoops. The next step is no discounts at all so why not stop the bleeding right now >>

Anyone who can't list at least 9 items a month, has no business being a "power seller."
  • Options

You don't need to list 9 items a month you need to sell 9 items a month, you probably need to list 50.

Part of this is just a backhanded way to force delivery confirmation to put money in ebays pocket

Ebay is going to mandate delivery confirmation for everything at somepoint. When they do you will get the choice to print labels through them and get it cheap or free or pay it in full at the post office. Adding 70 cents to the shipping cost incidentally adds 6 or 7 cents to your final value fees if its passed on to the buyer , if it isn't passed on then I guess you eat the cost out of your bottom line. Once you have no choice and are required to use confirmation what is the chance they will continue to give you a break on it?

Since ebay offers printing of labels then it stands to reason they have negotiated a lower rate with the post office and are making money on postage at the same time as charging you a final value fee on it. They steer more people to use thier label printing to increase thier cut.

How does the seller benefit? A scam buyer will just final a SNAD claim instead of an INR it just shifts the scam

How does it benefit the buyer? If the seller raises his prices the buyer pays more, if a seller leaves ebay then there are things that won't get listed that maybe I liked to look for.

• Options
    All part of doing business on the worlds most well known auction site. I too wish there was some more actual competition, but the ones that try to just don't have the traffic looking at it from the sellers point of view.
    I think anywhere would hold a seller to higher standards to be able to capture the discounts...it's called motivation. Without motivation, you're left to (try) sell on sites that just don't cut it.
    I just wish they were as strict on buyers as they are sellers, but we all know that ain't gonna happen, because the BUYER generates their revenue by making actual purchases.
    A seller can list all they want to, but until something is actually purchased...that's when eBay makes their real money, not on listing fees.
  • Options

<< <i>You don't need to list 9 items a month you need to sell 9 items a month, you probably need to list 50.

Part of this is just a backhanded way to force delivery confirmation to put money in ebays pocket

Ebay is going to mandate delivery confirmation for everything at somepoint. When they do you will get the choice to print labels through them and get it cheap or free or pay it in full at the post office. Adding 70 cents to the shipping cost incidentally adds 6 or 7 cents to your final value fees if its passed on to the buyer , if it isn't passed on then I guess you eat the cost out of your bottom line. Once you have no choice and are required to use confirmation what is the chance they will continue to give you a break on it?

Since ebay offers printing of labels then it stands to reason they have negotiated a lower rate with the post office and are making money on postage at the same time as charging you a final value fee on it. They steer more people to use thier label printing to increase thier cut.

How does the seller benefit? A scam buyer will just final a SNAD claim instead of an INR it just shifts the scam

How does it benefit the buyer? If the seller raises his prices the buyer pays more, if a seller leaves ebay then there are things that won't get listed that maybe I liked to look for. >>

Don't mean to beat a dead horse to death, but if you list 9 coin related items starting at $.99, chances are good that they'll sell. On the other hand if you're like some Coin or PM sellers with over priced Fixed Item listings, it probably would require 90 listings or more to meet the quota. I for one, avoid them. FYI Delivery Confirmation is free with eBay generated labels and I suspect eBay pays Pitney Bowes a royalty for using their label software which of course gets passed on. That's just good business practice.