Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Half Question/Concern

nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
I was checking out Barber Half Dollars on Ebay and saw this completed listing. I like the general look of the coin, but I assume that it has some issues (cleaned...) Does the "look" of this coin raise red flags? Is the dirt/dark areas around the stars/letters a general sign of cleaning? It also looks like there are some parallel lines/scratches on the neck and chin, but I don't see any in other locations or reverse. Would this coin grade? Any education on this woud be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The look of the coin does not raise any red flags for me. Of course, I have not seen it in-hand, either. The wear pattern and distribution of dirt are fine and the marks on the chin do not look to be major.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    looks to have had a bath but then spent some time in an album. AU50 details net down to xf45 but that all depends on luster. MA
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The coin looks perfectly natural ( from these images )
    so I wouldn't be concerned about the "dirt" accumulating
    at the peripheries ... it's perfectly normal for that to occur.

The photo has an off-white cast to it - it's not crystal clear
    so, I can not say if the image is hiding any hairlines which
    would indicate a past cleaning.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching that auction. The seller lists the coin as "slightly granular". Which to me means very light corrosion indicated by the color. I did like the coin but I think this is one that needs to be seen in hand. A strong XF possibly even AU. Will it grade? I think not but, toss a coin. JMO
    Bob
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image makes the coin look nice... and only one side is displayed here. Does not look (from those pictures) as if it had any abrasive cleaning... overall, a good looking Barber. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the reverse, sale price was $190. - Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    AU 50 the image is poor. From what I can see It appears to be a nice original coin. Its every bit its money though at 200.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that it's a metal detector find. The surfaces are slightly rough, possibly indicating micro-corrosion, and it has the look of something that was cleaned off with soap and water. It still has nice eye appeal overall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file