Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How close are you to a Lincoln cent set?

I got bored tonight so I went through my book to see how close I was to a complete Lincoln set.

For the regular issues I need 16 more coins.
and for as the modern San Fran mints I need 34 of those.

So I wonder how close others are to the same set and turn the question to you.
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much done.

I have a gem+ red set of wheaties in PCGS plastic with a few RB's and 64's I might upgrade. And a VF/XF Dansco that's complete through 2009.

Old stuff I enjoy but am not very focused on anymore.
    Lance.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close on the pre 64 stuff, not so much on the newer yrs
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped in about 1970. Don't have a 09svdb or a 14d. Still looking.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Been there, done that, moved on. I sold my lincoln set a couple a year or two ago. I really only had money tied up into a handful of them, and I was wanting to spend that money on early quarters. So they vanished. Now I've got a Whitman folder of late date wheaties and a few handfuls of loose coins, that's all.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missing the s-vdb, 14-d, 22 no mint and a couple of modern P mints- they're really tough to find in circulation on the west coast.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << How close are you to a Lincoln cent set? >>

About 30 feet away at the moment, but it varies. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1909-2012. Every mint, every proof ... I'm far away.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post 1930, I need one or 2 dates for a nice red unc set. Pre 1930, I only have 5 or 6 dates, and they are not in high grade red. In high grade, this is a difficult set to complete, and I'm pretty sure I will never geet it done.

Tom

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had a complete set of lincolns, by the time I could afford one, I had lost intrest in set collecting and only purchased specific dates in various grades. Actually dont have a single date in my personal collection, have a few in shop inventory but thats it.

If I were to add one for myself, i would either get a 14-d in 63-64 rb or a 22 no d in 62 Bn

FIO: I have never had a complete set of lincolns come in the shop either, several almost complete , but was missing at least something.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have everything up the late 1960s, minus the 1922 Plain. This is my "boyhood set" which I finished in 1983 at the ripe age of 34 with a 1909-S-VDB which had ANACS papers. As an adult collector, Lincoln cents don't do that much for me so I have not kept up the collection.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Should the set include all the satin issues.
    They would be real easy to obtain. Just wondering
    figglehorn
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I've got several high grade Lincolns. But never liked them enough to want to assemble a set. I did have a Whitman folder as a kid, that I didn't complete.

Then a little over a year ago I decided to assemble a 1959-2008 set. A few months ago I started a 1934-1958 RB set. I'm finding the RB set the most fun and difficult.

So I guess you could say I've got quite a way to go yet.

Dan
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0% complete.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Had a complete UNC set that I sold last year. From 1909 to 1933 they were red/brown; from 1934 to date they were all bright red. I'm still sorry I sold them but not enough to do it over again.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>0% complete. >>

I could open my desk drawer and get to 2% image
  • Options

I have been going at it for many years. Buying and selling along the way. Still have a long way to go.

Jack

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just missing the 22 Plain
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>0% complete. >>

I could open my desk drawer and get to 2% image >>

image Love it !
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i need the s vdb and the 22 no mint mark
  • Options
    I think I had more fun with the raw ones than the PCGS stuff.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set of Lincolns Lance image
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I think I had more fun with the raw ones than the PCGS stuff

Something to say about being able to see/touch your coins.

That said, for preservation you have to respect the tombs.

Nice set Lance!
    Dan
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seven coins shy of a complete set 1909-2008. I could fill all of those holes except the 09-S VDB if I combined my old circulated Dansco book and my clipped date set.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>I think I had more fun with the raw ones than the PCGS stuff.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage >>

It's liesurely and not expensive. (save for a few).
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that Dansco set is awesome Lance.

<< <i>How close are you to a Lincoln cent set? >>

I'm working on a wheat cent set in PCGS plastic (44.29% complete).
    Long way to go but it's not a race and I am having fun.

one of my fun pieces in 65BN.

imageimage
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I don't collect copper but I had a set when I was a little kid missing only the 09s VDB and my 22 plain wasn't the strong Rev die pair but I didn't know that at the time. The coins were xf-unc with the early S & D mints in G-VF, It was part of a complete save the 56 small cent collection.
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Swampboy - Love the '56 Lincoln. Don't get too hooked on those lovely toners image.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have been assembling a set with my sons (8, 10 yrs) strictly from coins found in circulation or change hoards from friends and relatives. we don't have any of the keys (09-s vbd, 55 ddo, etc.) but, we are pretty close to being complete. the bulk we are missing are early s mints and an 82-d large date zinc.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Been there, done that, moved on. I sold my lincoln set a couple a year or two ago. I really only had money tied up into a handful of them, and I was wanting to spend that money on early quarters. So they vanished. Now I've got a Whitman folder of late date wheaties and a few handfuls of loose coins, that's all. >>

Ditto (except for the stuff about quarters) image
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    Very nice set, Lance!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I probably have 150-200 dates/mm although I've not put any focus on them in 11 years. Sold my S-VDB about 7 years ago. Never owned a 14-D. Still have all of the post depression dates/mm.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Great set Lance. What's the story behind your coins going from brown to red in 1941?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need 25.35% of the Wheats and I guess about 75% of the non-Wheats. Been looking for many years for the right ones.
  • Options

<< <i>Great set Lance. What's the story behind your coins going from brown to red in 1941? >>

Good eye, Shamika. I figured I'd have to transition. Had to start with brown and end up red. So I drew a line at 1940. It was actually a little difficult to come up with all brown, pre 41. You can see some borderline ones. Many sat on a windowsill for a long while. Funny how long it took to some to turn brown.
    Lance.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Done, except for error coins. Now I'm selectively upgrading.

I'm missing the 2 major DDOs (and other less dramatic errors). I also don't have any off-metal issues. Maybe someday....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice set of Lincolns Lance image >>

in this crowd too...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Swampboy - Love the '56 Lincoln. Don't get too hooked on those lovely toners image. >>

+1

I'm not 50% complete and that's after 20 years.
    Coppercolor
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Lance, that is by far and above the nicest raw set I have ever seen. Congrats buddy !!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missing the 1909 S VDB, the 1922 D and the post 2008 Lincolns circulation strike coins. My collection is in a Dansco Album. 1936 forward is MS, mostly Red. From 1909 to 1935 all of the Philly coins except a couple are MS, mostly toned. The 1909-1935 D and S coins are mostly circulated, though I do have an MS 1909S.

As for the proofs, I have no MPL, have a 1940 and 1942 that are brilliant and have 1950-1975 proof and SMS in Cameo or DCAM.

I have few, if any, varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file