Home Precious Metals

GREAT Tech Earnings, but

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
but 1st look at Q1 GDP - a disappointing 2.2%

Are you sure we're going to grow our way out of debt?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For an economy as large as the USA and the constraints currently placed upon it by bureaucracy, 2.2% is pretty darn good IMO. Europe will be lucky to positive growth this year. There should be no question why the dollar is relatively strong vs its peers.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody knows the only way to get rid of debt is to spend more. Sheesh. Haven't you learned anything from DC.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but 1st look at Q1 GDP - a disappointing 2.2%

Are you sure we're going to grow our way out of debt? >>

Imagine how disappointing that GDP would be if the deflator were accurately calculated. And if you remove govt handouts it would be much lower. Printing = GDP
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Roadrunner... figures lie, and liars figure.....Cheers, RickO
    Mish and others have estimated that the latest GDP growth would have been essentially zero if a proper deflator were used. Using the BLS CPI-U in place of the deflator would
    result in essentially 0% growth. The "deflator" uses tricks that even the CPI doesn't dare mess with.

Link

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This economy is nothing more than a house of cards... and hurricane season is upon us. Cheers, RickO
    You guys really need to get out more and look around.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying "the US Economy" is like saying "the US Weather"

where? when?

Like "the Real Estate Market", everything is local and temporal

Averages are stupid mathematical constructs. Don't worry about the Average, worry about You and Yours

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>You guys really need to get out more and look around. >>

The increasing number of for sale signs in my area and state, the growing number of failing businesses and shuttered stores & strip malls tells me more than enough of what is
    happening. Every town and state can't be Baleyville. If not for all the new pawn shops and Cash4Gold stores, the numbers would be much worse. Major retailers continue to
    consolidate and close stores, not expand. One by one I see some of my favorite stores drop off leaving behind an empty building. But I do watch Pawn Stars, auction hunters,
    storage wars, and Hardcore Pawn and all those guys appear to be doing great. If mobile phone and Tech stores can bring back the economy on their own, then we're in good shape.
    First its Spring. There are always more 4-sale signs.
    Second, it obvious many areas got overbought and overbuilt. Business fail even in great economic times.

The major mall in my area is undergoing a MAJOR expansiom.. And my local city that hasnt grown in population in 50 years--so by no means would be considered a "growth area". Business and industry is changing--just as it should.

I think many people still thing the 1985-2005 timeframe is what the economy is supposed to be like. Its not. the economy is simply reverting to a mean. That by no means is the end of the world or forcast of major economic downward spiral.

People need to get out and away from their little 50 mile circles of existance and see what is really happening in this country. Sure you will see lots of dispair, but with open eye will also see growth and potential as many people are.