Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Wrestling All Stars: Someone hit the jackpot....Bought a few and with Scans

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dug up the first Beckett that I purchased in August of 2009. I wanted to see at the time what the listed pricing was for the sets.

Because Brock Lesnar was on the front I bought it and have kept it.

I think it is pretty interesting to see the prices in print.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the sets were trending up in price back then too!
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the sets were trending up in price back then too! >>

Yep. When I looked online the only pricing I found was in a Tuff Stuff from a year earlier and they had the set for $15 and the Hogan was booking for $0.50.

I will try and find it if I can.
  • Options
    I just added these to my 1983 Wrestling All Stars sets. There are a few more cards that I may be able to upgrade but not many. There are several cards from this set I do not believe we will ever see a 10 on. Big John Studd and Matt Borne instantly come to mind.

• Options
    83 Albano PSA 9

It has been a while since one of these came up. I check completed listings everyday and just saw it had sold.

This in a 10 is one of my better cards.

I just happened to look at the date of this thread and it was nearly 2 years ago when I added it to my set. Wow time flies.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    What other sports cards from the 1980s for a PSA 9 could pull $500?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>What other sports cards from the 1980s for a PSA 9 could pull $500? >>

Bird/Magic, Jordan, Montana and now Captain Lou Albano
  • Options

<< <i>

Bird/Magic, Jordan, Montana and now Captain Lou Albano >>

The list that quickly comes to mind it pretty short.

There are a handull of cards from the three sets that in a PSA 9 could pull $500.

Andre, Hogan, Flair (sometimes), The Chrusher, Fabulous Moolah (if one ever hits), Rick Martel, and other low pop cards from Series B.

There are other sets like the Carnation Major League Wrestling where you could see a few 9's pull $500 too.

It all has to do with supply and the manner in which the cards were distributed.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bird/Magic, Jordan, Montana and now Captain Lou Albano >>

The list that quickly comes to mind it pretty short.

There are a handull of cards from the three sets that in a PSA 9 could pull $500.

Andre, Hogan, Flair (sometimes), The Chrusher, Fabulous Moolah (if one ever hits), Rick Martel, and other low pop cards from Series B.

There are other sets like the Carnation Major League Wrestling where you could see a few 9's pull $500 too.

It all has to do with supply and the manner in which the cards were distributed. >>

All of what Dpeck100 said here is very true......I agree 100%.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I think if a Junkyard Dog 10 ever hits ebay it will be over $1000. Really great set and if you haven't read the SMR interview with Dpeck I suggest you do so.
  • Options

<< <i>I think if a Junkyard Dog 10 ever hits ebay it will be over $1000. Really great set and if you haven't read the SMR interview with Dpeck I suggest you do so. >>

At this time the JYD is a Pop 1 in a PSA 10. It was one of the cards that I hit when I sent in my first submission to PSA.

I would put the Dusty Rhodes as one of the top cards in high grade. So far a Pop 3 in a 9 and a Pop 1 in a 10. I was offered $1,500 for the 10 last year.

• Options
    Wrestling All Stars lot

I am shocked that this lot has so many watchers. At one point yesterday it was up to 32.

What was also interesting was a card sold last night of D The Bruiser and the bid list had 13. It has sold for more in the past as the pop on it has risen but I am curious to see if this trend continues as more cards pop up.

• Options
    A lot of watchers on the lot! Those cards are hot and I'm happy with the sale
  • Options
    Some insane cards hit the population report today. I am almost at a loss for words that 2 PSA 10's of Big John Studd hit. Never in my wildest dreams did a I think that card could ever 10.

If a number of these cards sell on the private market there will be a change at the top of the leader board.

I am assuming these cards were sent in by the same person nailing all of the 10's of late so we shall see.

• Options
    I'll be watching the sets to see if you are removed from the top spot on the 1983s. The submitter must have a problem getting 1982s because any luck is always with the 1983 cards......
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be watching the sets to see if you are removed from the top spot on the 1983s. The submitter must have a problem getting 1982s because any luck is always with the 1983 cards...... >>

If it is who I think it is they have had some success with 82B as well.

It really amazes me the success that submitter has had with the sets. I will have to check but I think I have only hit 1 PSA 10 from the 83 set in all of my subs.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Love seeing these cards in an issue of Beckett. Do you know how far back Becket priced these?

I only watched Hogan and Andre as a child in the 80s and would like to acquire these two in low grade for my personal collection. I honestly don't know and never heard of any of the other wrestlers.
  • Options

<< <i>Love seeing these cards in an issue of Beckett. Do you know how far back Becket priced these?

I only watched Hogan and Andre as a child in the 80s and would like to acquire these two in low grade for my personal collection. I honestly don't know and never heard of any of the other wrestlers. >>

They list them in the Beckett Sports Cards Monthly when they have wrestling in there.

The first issue I ever bought was the one with Brock Lesnar on the cover when he was entering the UFC. That is how I came across the cards looking for his stuff.

Tuff Stuff had them listed when they were in business and the Set was $15 and the Hogan was $0.50.

• Options
    I have an old book and I was surprised to see the wrestling all stars in there. The set was valued at $5. I'll have to send that pic to DPeck!
  • Options
    Just to satisfy my curiosity I just went through all of my PSA submissions to see how many PSA 10's I have self submitted raw.

The only PSA 10 from the 83 set is Curt Hennig so I was correct there is only one from that set.

I have sent in 412 Wrestling All Stars and hit 15 PSA 10's or 3.64%.

This is why it is so mind blowing how many PSA 10's this dealer has gotten.

• Options
    So I got a text out of the clear blue from the dealer in CA and he sold the cards to another collector.

This guy doesn't sell stuff cheap so this is going to get very interesting.

The soap opera of the Wrestling All stars continues. LOL

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    popcorn is popping....

"let's all go the the lobby"
  • Options
    Gino PSA 10

I am not going down without a fight.

Still tied.

• Options

<< <i>I dug up the first Beckett that I purchased in August of 2009. I wanted to see at the time what the listed pricing was for the sets.

Because Brock Lesnar was on the front I bought it and have kept it.

I think it is pretty interesting to see the prices in print.

image[/URL] >>

Prices have increased a bit since this issue.

By the way, I can't remember if it's been discussed, but why wasn't a 1983 Series B set ever produced?
  • Options
    In 1983 Vince McMahon took away their press rights and started making their own magazine and programs. If you read in the magazines they were also having trouble with their deal with the publisher of Ring that they had aligned themselves with.

It is fascinating to read their reports on Titan Wrestling and you can see the bitter hatred displayed towards Vince's efforts to take over wrestling.

If I had to bet it was money problems and the reason there are so many more sealed 83 sets is that they didn't sell well and there were quite a few left over.

• Options
    Great, thanks for the bit of history!
  • Options
    Some fresh 1983's hit the pop report today. One of the stand out cards was a Matt Borne in a PSA 9 Mint. That is a very tough card and takes the total to a Pop 5. If the card hits EBAY I might have to try and do some dollar cost averaging on it to lower my overall cost. LOL

• Options
    The Matt Borne turned out to be a beautiful example and I was able to add it to my collection.

• Options
    Nice Doink.....this is a real tough one and a great addition to your collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Doink.....this is a real tough one and a great addition to your collection. >>

This is a nicer copy in my view then my other one. Less PD. I just can't imagine how this card ever 10's.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Doink.....this is a real tough one and a great addition to your collection. >>

This is a nicer copy in my view then my other one. Less PD. I just can't imagine how this card ever 10's. >>

Question, should / would this card be included if a Doink registry set was created?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is a nicer copy in my view then my other one. Less PD. I just can't imagine how this card ever 10's. >>

Question, should / would this card be included if a Doink registry set was created? >>

I checked Wiki and I believe that Matt Borne was the first wrestler to use this character. If Tabe is reading and I am wrong please let us know.

That said if I am correct, then for certain this should be the primary card in the Doink registry. This is a tough card in a PSA 8 and a great shot of Matt Borne when he was a member of the Rat Pack.