Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Wrestling All Stars: Someone hit the jackpot....Bought a few and with Scans

I check the pop reports every day for the cards to see what may be coming online and to see where they are at for each card.

This morning I see that someone hit the jackpot on this set.

A PSA 10 Lou Albano which is a Pop 1, Tully Blanchard that is now a Pop 2, Salvatore Bellomo Pop 1, and quite a few other PSA 10's.

Many of my Pop 1's are no longer now on this set.

Other major pulls are Austin Idol PSA 9, Hacksaw Duggan PSA 9, Rocky Johnson PSA 9 and another Matt Borne PSA 9. I am glad I waited it out on the first one.

I am not sure if these came from a recent sealed set or not but this submission is gold.

Hopefully a few of these cards make there way to EBAY.

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    that will be a fun watch.......1983 is where most of the new graded cards will come from as there still is sealed sets out there although the risk is high as you may buy a set with dinged corners without even really knowing it......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Somesone's trying to make a run at the KING!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    That Albano in a PSA 10 will be a real fun watch if that comes to auction...he obviously had a lot of appeal with his endeavors in music videos and TV. I do think that if DPeck is caught in any of his all star sets it will be the 1983 set before the 1982 A and 1982 B sets. I have a hard time believing he will be caught in those since he was much more progressive and bought up the cards before the prices skyrocketed. Although I think that the 1983 set could be the set where someone could make a good run it will be quite expensive as there are multiple buyers plus DPeck now to deal with.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These grades that hit today have seriously increased the chances of someone getting alot closer to my 83 set.

If all of these cards end up in the next closest collectors hands I will only have 8 cards left from this set that could seperate us. In terms of the GPA on that I have not spent anytime looking at it.

The other two sets are a much different story.

A few of these cards if they hit EBAY will go nuts.
  • Options
    Even though I think the 1983 set is the most vulnerable and then the 1982 B and then the most prized set of the 1982 A, I see that DPeck still has 22 of the 36 in PSA 10 so it is not as though it would be an easy hurdle by any means. I just know that there are quite a few 1983 still sealed in comparison to the 1982 sets and a few nice rips and subs can close the distance. I think it is to DPeck's benefit that someone is attempting to get the set in high grade as it just makes his collection that much more desireable.
  • Options
    I felt like I had no choice but to snag these cards. I did a little detective work and found out who got the cards and paid up for these rare pieces.

At this moment I now how every card from the 1983 Wrestling All Stars in the top grade available.

PSA 10 Gem Mint Lou Albano Pop 1

PSA 10 Gem Mint Salvatore Bellomo Pop 1

PSA 9 Mint Matt Borne Pop 2

PSA 9 Mint Rocky Johnson Pop 4

I am really excited about adding these to the collection and just love this Lou Albano card. What a beautiful card and a tremendous card in Gem Mint.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Wrastlin' cards, lol
  • Options
    miconelegacymiconelegacy Posts: 3,052
    Awesome D! I'm always messing with you that someone is chasing your sets, buts that's because your stuff is untouchable!!

I'm just jealous as I've learned to love that set. I have about 20 cards I'm subbing from that set I bought, if I get any low pops you need we'll make a deal before they go to market.

Great pickups buddy!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    David- Do you think it was PD that kept the last two from making 10 (Born, Johnson) ? From the scans, the corners, surface, centering, and edges look good enough for 10.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    One of the ways that DPeck can keep his lead is that he has connections in getting the cards before they even ever hit the market. Very well done!
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Nice work dpeck. Capt Lou PSA 10 is awesome. Yellow borders are toughest?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats D. Wishing you the best of luck in improving your sets.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    McAdams, yes I would say the PD was the issue for sure on the Johnson. This is the cleanest one I have ever seen and the white print dot below the O in his name has to keep it from a PSA 10.

The Matt Borne is a total blazer and is off a hair top to bottom and has some very small dots near the top right corner. This has better centering in my opinion then the first one that sold for $745.

The yellow cards are extremely tough because of centering issues and little circles all over the card. This is by far one of my favorite cards.

The other Yellow cards are The Grand Wizard and Freddie Blassie. The highest graded so far is a PSA 9 of Blassie and I have very few of those even graded as the corners are constantly damaged on that card and the centering top to bottom can be brutal and it too is plagued with printing issues.

I am down to 4 cards from all three sets that I do not have in their top grade available and one of those is The Chrusher. I think that card is locked away in a collection where the owner either has no clue of the value or does not care. I can't tell you how tough that card is in Mint condition. I have tried everything up to this point to track one down. All three of the cards from the 82 A from that color are super tough. There is a Dick Murdoch on EBAY now that is attracting serious bids and is well worth it.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Albano and others! That is a major card.
  • Options
    Thanks bro!

It is getting more costly to participate in the high grade market for these for sure. To get the seller to forgo EBAY wasn't cheap.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed lots of these graded cards on ebay. This is just the initial boom and everyone either graded all of their raw cards they had or were buying up and also got graded those selaed sets we saw. After these sell they will get even more expensive as there won't be as many available and new people will discover these too. I can't see too many more high grade cards getting graded in the future.
  • Options
    There is another wave of supply coming here soon but after that these are going to dry up.

Other then the sealed sets there have been very few raw cards showing up and of those very few have a chance at a strong grade.

• Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    Dpeck, pretty nice condition cards, they all like 10's! Can I ask you who you purchased them from and does he have anymore?
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dpeck, pretty nice condition cards, they all like 10's! Can I ask you who you purchased them from and does he have anymore? >>

Is that Jesus holding a monitor lizard?
  • Options

waverlee

Tuesday August 17, 2010 5:34 PM

Just got back from my meeting with my financial advisor and he was very interested in these wrestling cards and the recent surge in prices.

He read through this thread and thinks that Dpeck100 is a genius for being able to identify an underpriced and relatively tough item to find. He mentioned that the higher Dpeck pays on these cards at this point, the more he will wind up making in the long run because he has acquired so many of them at a cheaper price point. For example, lets say that he has 8 Hogan's that he has paid an average price of $100 per card on, and then buys the next one at $1000, his average cost per card would only be $200 at that point, leaving him with a profit of $800 per card. The interesting thing that he mentioned though was that the lesser known wrestlers will yield a greater return on your money at this time as the cards of the guys like Adrian Adonis, Lou Albano, Bam Bam Bigelow, Dory Funk, Flash Funk, Bob Backlund, Junkyard Dog, Leaping Lanny Poffo, Hillbilly Jim, etc.... will increase in price along with the Hogan, Andre, and Flair cards. As the key cards will increase in price, the commons will go up exponentially more. The same happened with 1952 Topps as the Mantle card rose in price, the commons followed and now cost at least $200 for a common.

The financial analyst said that he was in the same position as Dpeck was in 1985 with everyone laughing at him for buying a stock that others felt was overpriced and had already gone up too soon, too fast. He still went ahead and bought while everyone thought he was crazy, that stock happened to be none other than BRKA, he paid $1800 per share and he said he recently sold some at $120,000 per share. Maybe Dpeck will have the last laugh here. Only time will tell.

I am not sure if Waverlee was joking at the time but this statement was spot on about the lesser known wrestlers will yield the greatest return.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>waverlee

Tuesday August 17, 2010 5:34 PM

Just got back from my meeting with my financial advisor and he was very interested in these wrestling cards and the recent surge in prices.

He read through this thread and thinks that Dpeck100 is a genius for being able to identify an underpriced and relatively tough item to find. He mentioned that the higher Dpeck pays on these cards at this point, the more he will wind up making in the long run because he has acquired so many of them at a cheaper price point. For example, lets say that he has 8 Hogan's that he has paid an average price of $100 per card on, and then buys the next one at $1000, his average cost per card would only be $200 at that point, leaving him with a profit of $800 per card. The interesting thing that he mentioned though was that the lesser known wrestlers will yield a greater return on your money at this time as the cards of the guys like Adrian Adonis, Lou Albano, Bam Bam Bigelow, Dory Funk, Flash Funk, Bob Backlund, Junkyard Dog, Leaping Lanny Poffo, Hillbilly Jim, etc.... will increase in price along with the Hogan, Andre, and Flair cards. As the key cards will increase in price, the commons will go up exponentially more. The same happened with 1952 Topps as the Mantle card rose in price, the commons followed and now cost at least $200 for a common.

The financial analyst said that he was in the same position as Dpeck was in 1985 with everyone laughing at him for buying a stock that others felt was overpriced and had already gone up too soon, too fast. He still went ahead and bought while everyone thought he was crazy, that stock happened to be none other than BRKA, he paid $1800 per share and he said he recently sold some at $120,000 per share. Maybe Dpeck will have the last laugh here. Only time will tell.

I am not sure if Waverlee was joking at the time but this statement was spot on about the lesser known wrestlers will yield the greatest return. >>

Yeah anything that clown says on here is a joke. Besides, I don't think BRK ever sold that low
  • Options
    Hammered you are correct, BRK/A came public in 1990 at the price of $8,200 a share.

• Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    is wrestling still a good investment today?
  • Options
    Of course...I sure hope so!
  • Options

<< <i>I felt like I had no choice but to snag these cards. I did a little detective work and found out who got the cards and paid up for these rare pieces.

At this moment I now how every card from the 1983 Wrestling All Stars in the top grade available.

PSA 10 Gem Mint Lou Albano Pop 1

PSA 10 Gem Mint Salvatore Bellomo Pop 1

PSA 9 Mint Matt Borne Pop 2

PSA 9 Mint Rocky Johnson Pop 4

I am really excited about adding these to the collection and just love this Lou Albano card. What a beautiful card and a tremendous card in Gem Mint. >>

Matt Borne passed away yesterday. RIP.
  • Options
    Matthew "Matt" Wade Osborne[1] (July 27, 1957 – June 28, 2013) was an American professional wrestler. Osborne was a second generation wrestler, being son of "Tough" Tony Borne,[3] and is best known as being the first and longest-running wrestler to portray the character of Doink the Clown.

On June 28, 2013, Osborne was found dead by his girlfriend in their Texas residence. No cause of death was given. Though no weapons were found near his body, and police initially thought that the death was accidental, they have launched a homicide investigation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wrestlemania

Matt Borne was in the very first Wrestlemania in MSG and wrestled against Ricky Steamboat.

I get the feeling it was drug related. I went to high school with a guy who works the independent wrestling circuit and he had shot a little shoot video a year or two ago ripping on Matt Borne for being out of control at a show he worked.

I just bought tickets to a little show that will be running next month up the street from me at the Ferncreek Armory and Matt Borne was booked to wrestle.

• Options
    Tully Blanchard

This card is ending in just a few hours and the collector who is right on my heels in the registry for the 1983 Wrestling All Stars set needs it and if he wins will come within .05 of me.

I got my copy a few years ago for $75 and the next one went for $790.

One of the cards I need hit EBAY a few hours ago and he looks to be making a run at it too so we will see how that turns out. It is pretty wild how far his sets have come for this series.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I see he/she has the auction mislabeled his auction as 1982 too. Or maybe on purpose.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Matthew Osborne

Osborne was found dead on June 28, 2013, in the Plano, Texas house he shared with his business partner.[14] Though no weapons were found near his body, and police have said the death appears accidental, they launched a precautionary homicide investigation.[15] The autopsy revealed Osborne had died of an accidental overdose of morphine and hydrocodone. He also suffered from heart disease, which had been a contributing factor in his death.[16]
  • Options

<< <i>I see he/she has the auction mislabeled his auction as 1982 too. Or maybe on purpose. >>

It is funny you mentioned that. I noticed it a few minutes ago too. I doubt anyone mislabeled it on purpose. I am surprised that the description didn't mention it was a Pop 3 although the top bidders already know that.

• Options

<< <i>Matthew Osborne >>

And like MANY wrestlers, he died very young. He was 55. And these damn baseball players STILL take steroids!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>It is pretty wild how far his sets have come for this series. >>

I'm still amazed when I see the pop report for these sets. They sure have come a long ways.
  • Options
    At $810 with over an hr left. Wow! Fun to watch. Unbelievable how far wrestling has gone? Any guess how high this one will go?lots of snipes at the end?
  • Options

<< <i>At $810 with over an hr left. Wow! Fun to watch. Unbelievable how far wrestling has gone? Any guess how high this one will go?lots of snipes at the end? >>

There won't be a lot of snipes at this price. There may be one or two others out there but not many potential new buyers at this level.

The buyer will certainly go higher on this card so it will take a few hundred more at least to win I would bet.

I just always find it interesting to reflect back on what has transpired and I remember passing on a bunch of PSA 10's in 2010 that I ended up buying for more in 2011 and one of them was the first PSA 10 Tully Blanchard. That grouping of cards turned out to be a good buy.

• Options

<< <i>At $810 with over an hr left. Wow! Fun to watch. Unbelievable how far wrestling has gone? Any guess how high this one will go?lots of snipes at the end? >>

Double stacked and wins the card to pull that much closer to our DPeck. DPeck may need a card to close the distance with this high end collector. He is coming after me on the 1973 annual wrestling cards but he will have a tough time on the 1973s. The 1982 A set is the monster where DPeck crushes the competition.
  • Options
    The cards are out there for him to catch me. There is a Gino Hernandez PSA 10 that hit the pop report that has never found its way to EBAY and a few others that he needs. In the past few months there have not been many cards graded from any of the sets but if some of my Pop 1's become Pop 2's it could realistically happen.

The 1982 A is a completely different animal for a couple of reasons but primarily the cards in many cases are much harder to find in high grade. There are numerous cards with just a few 9's and the Fabulous Moolah with the top grade being an 8. At this time there are only 45 PSA 10's from the set and I own 28 of them so you will need there to be a huge find of amazing raw cards to really make any progress in this set.

I know for certain that the same collector has been accumulating lots of the cards from the 1982 B and it will be interesting to see how it affects the pop reports when he finally sends them in. I would assume there would be some shake up but I am doubtful it will be as extreme as the change in the 1983 population report over the past two years. There are 47 PSA 10's and I own 23 of them so this will obviously be a road block but the larger issue is the low Pop 9's are super tough cards. I have 7 Pop 1's and three more cards with Pop 2's that I own both and many of these are the toughest cards in the set.

The big card that could be coming is the PSA 10 Ric Flair that just hit the pop report in the past week. I have to think that card does well as it has been two years since one sold and Flair has cross over buyers from other sports who would love to have a Gem Mint copy of the Nature Boy. I am not sure if it will sell for as much as the first one I bought which was in the stratosphere for wrestling cards at the time in 2010 but we shall see. The great thing that came from the run of 10's I bought at the time was the Dusty Rhodes and Superstar Graham. Those two are very good cards and the prices were very reasonable at the time and are easily two of my best cards.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dpeck and WCK,

I have always liked reading your threads. I grew up watching wrestling in the late 70's and early 80's and saw many matches at the Capitol Center in Landover MD. My favorite live match was Snuka vs. Backlund in the cage. Snuka let fly from midway or maybe the top of the cage, can't really remember now, unfortunately Backlund put his knees up at the last second and pinned Snuka while Snuka was rolling around in the ring holding his stomach in obvious pain. I always thought Snuka, should have been the next champ. Thanks for the flashback.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>Dpeck and WCK,

I have always liked reading your threads. I grew up watching wrestling in the late 70's and early 80's and saw many matches at the Capitol Center in Landover MD. My favorite live match was Snuka vs. Backlund in the cage. Snuka let fly from midway or maybe the top of the cage, can't really remember now, unfortunately Backlund put his knees up at the last second and pinned Snuka while Snuka was rolling around in the ring holding his stomach in obvious pain. I always thought Snuka, should have been the next champ. Thanks for the flashback.

Snuka Vs Backlund
  • Options

<< <i>Dpeck and WCK,

I have always liked reading your threads. I grew up watching wrestling in the late 70's and early 80's and saw many matches at the Capitol Center in Landover MD. My favorite live match was Snuka vs. Backlund in the cage. Snuka let fly from midway or maybe the top of the cage, can't really remember now, unfortunately Backlund put his knees up at the last second and pinned Snuka while Snuka was rolling around in the ring holding his stomach in obvious pain. I always thought Snuka, should have been the next champ. Thanks for the flashback. >>

I appreciate the compliment Cakes....my best to you!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "My favorite live match was Snuka vs. Backlund in the cage. Snuka let fly from midway or maybe the top of the cage, can't really remember now, unfortunately Backlund put his knees up at the last second and pinned Snuka while Snuka was rolling around in the ring holding his stomach in obvious pain. I always thought Snuka, should have been the next champ. Thanks for the flashback. "

I think this is fake.
    signed,
    John Stossel

Video
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    David Schultz

I have never seen this card for sale but here is a card from 1979 that was distributed through Rax Roast Beef. That clip never gets old! There is quite a bit of behind the scenes controversy on why he did it.

• Options

<< <i>David Schultz

I have never seen this card for sale but here is a card from 1979 that was distributed through Rax Roast Beef. That clip never gets old! There is quite a bit of behind the scenes controversy on why he did it. >>

Nice Schultz card, never seen that one before either.
  • Options

<< <i>That clip never gets old! There is quite a bit of behind the scenes controversy on why he did it. >>

Man, that clip is awesome! Where can I read about the controversy?
  • Options
    Rax Roast Beef

Here is a link to a picture of some other cards in the set. You will see a Robert Gibson card and this would have to be considered his first card. I did quite a bit of searching online with no luck finding much additional information on the cards.

Sale from 2009

This the only listing that comes up if you do a Google search. If a set of these came for sale on EBAY and was listed properly they would do pretty well I think. There is not a lot of star power in the set but they are almost impossible to find so the rarity would drive the price. I think the Schultz card would be sweet.

• Options
    Dr D

There are all kinds of funny clips of him.

Dr D search results

This one is great!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That clip never gets old! There is quite a bit of behind the scenes controversy on why he did it. >>

Man, that clip is awesome! Where can I read about the controversy?

>>

Dr D

I have read it on various sites before but a quick search I didn't find them. In his wiki pages it references the incident and the fallout. He essentially pins it on Vince McMahon and suggests it was his idea. Once the heat came down Vince fired him and said he acted on his own. There are various accounts from other wrestlers who were in the hall. I believe Schultz is pretty bitter about it because he was a top heal and his career essentially went down the tubes after that.
  • Options
    WOW

If a promo like this was cut today every news organization in the world would be calling for the shut down of the WWE. WOW this one is nuts. I would imagine it made Tony Atlas and Rocky Johnson a little uncomfortable at a minimum.
  • Options

<< <i>Rax Roast Beef

Here is a link to a picture of some other cards in the set. You will see a Robert Gibson card and this would have to be considered his first card. I did quite a bit of searching online with no luck finding much additional information on the cards.

Sale from 2009

This the only listing that comes up if you do a Google search. If a set of these came for sale on EBAY and was listed properly they would do pretty well I think. There is not a lot of star power in the set but they are almost impossible to find so the rarity would drive the price. I think the Schultz card would be sweet. >>

What a bargain on that sale I imagine......that would go for big money if there were a lot of eyeballs on that auction now.
  • Options
    That was a pretty intense promo. I'm surprised that even flew in the early 1980s.