Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice on which 2005/2008 sets to build?

Hi all,
Recently back on the crack, er, back into collecting after putting down the pipe in the mid 80's (AKA when the hobby Jumped the Shark)

I'm starting from scratch to build a raw set with my sons, who were born in 2005 and 2008. Which one would you recommend focusing on from each year? Deciding among 20 or whatever is daunting, seeing as how last time I was on the pipe I only had 3 to choose from. So I'm coming to the experts for efficiency. I would slightly prioritize good eye appeal over difficulty (ie long-term value potential). Don't want to break the bank since daddy's gonna build the '56 and '57 for himself image

I would probably start by buying a couple of boxes for us to rip, then go from there online/shows/card shops (if I can find any in Atlanta!)

I've started to look into Topps Heritage--the '05 would be particularly enjoyable since I just started building the '56. Boxes are hard to come by though, at least in 24 hours of searching. I did on impluse order a couple of boxes of '08 Heritage last night, but can always sell if decide to go in another direction.

Any thoughts are very welcome.
Now building '56 and '57 Topps, '05 Topps Chrome, '08 Heritage, and '12 Heritage

Comments

• Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Can't go wrong with Heritage in my opinion. Good eye appeal and fun to build. Another less expensive set is the Topps Chrome.
    Nice cards, smaller sets, and some good autos. Good luck. Welcome to the CU.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I'd say Heritage.

Runner up would be 06, or 07 Allen & Ginter.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Hard to go wrong with Heritage. I recently finished the 08 Upper Deck Goudey set it was a little challenging but not to crazy. I like the Topps Chrome sets as well and have been working on the 08 one also.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I recommend the 05 heritage - its the best heritage set in my opinion.
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards wfubob! image

There are few brick-n-mortar stores left in Atlanta as they have been closing up left and right. I am in East Cobb, and Champions in Kennesaw on Barrett Parkway is the closest for me. (Fun to bring the kids and talk about the Braves at this time of year.) I however, usually buy all of my boxes from Steve at Baseball Card Exchange. He has a bit of everything and has good prices and is 99% unsearched and unopened. Whatever you decide to purchase, it will be a great experience to do with your kids. The big stores (Target, Walmart, etc.) also have packs and blister boxes, but it is usually of current or a few year old stuff. It has usually been searched, but it will be fun for kids to open.

As far as the advice, I find that the problem with most of the sets is that there are so many chase cards and Special Print cards that it is hard to make an entire set, so I collect the basic Topps sets and have for a long time. I am doing the 2005 Topps set in all PSA 10, and have a long way to go, but it has been fun and the cards are inexpensive. I am sure the 2008 Topps set is the same quality or better than the 2005. You could get Factory sets of the 2005 & 2008 Topps, and open packs of the current year and build the set together with your kids.

Whatever you do, do it now and don't wait. My son and I did his birth year set (1990) about 8 10 years ago when he was 12, and he will graduate college next year. They certainly grow up very fast!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports