Home Precious Metals
Options

Must cash out soon...do it now or later?

I have a very small stash of gold/silver (around ~$1K current value) that I will have to cash out to help with moving expenses this summer.

Not doing it is not an option, so I wanted opinions on whether you expect PMs to be higher now or in August?

I am leaning toward doing half now and half then just to mitigate the little risk involved.
Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    U answered your own question. Do it in 2 or 3 batches and average the risk IMO.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it on the BST. What do you have for sale?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check with Silvertowne, Scotsman, Tulving, and a local guy if you have a reasonable one. Also, like Perry Hall suggests - BST since you have some time to work with.

Your biggest risk is doing it in a rush at the last minute. I don't think anyone knows what the market will be doing, but we are coming up on what is traditionally a slack time for precious metals. These days, that doesn't necessarily apply.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I am leaning toward doing half now and half then just to mitigate the little risk involved. >>

For the amounts involved, that seems like a reasonable course of action.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    If you definitely need $1,000 and your PMs are worth that currently, I would sell all of it now. If they tank before you sell them, you'll be stuck.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

<< <i>Put it on the BST. What do you have for sale?image >>

16 ASE, mixed dates, 1 panda, 1 maple leaf, 6 total morgan/peace, ~0.12oz gold weight jewelry, couple dollars loose 90%.

I was probably going to use the BST when the time came Other than buying 2 ASEs from one of them when silver was $17, I have no relationship with the local BMs other once years ago, I asked a different one whether the mid50's NGC-PF68 dime and nickel I had bought in the early 90s (I was 12 then, early 20s when I asked) were worth much. He laughed and asked why in the world would I buy those.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short term predictions or advice regarding PM's is like flipping a coin.

That's what I'd recommend doing.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you definitely need $1,000 and your PMs are worth that currently, I would sell all of it now. If they tank before you sell them, you'll be stuck. >>

+1
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope ya make plenty
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    make the metal savings withdrawal, that's what it's there for.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chances are you can get someone to buy all the silver with one lot to help you save on shipping costs.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no advice to offer, save to admire your avatar. image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no advice to offer, save to admire your avatar. image >>

excellent
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    sell when you have to, and when you have to, do it on the bst, no fees
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.