Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought another really sharp '71 baseball set

Set averages NM with a lot of NM/MT. Will be subbing around 50 of these. Most of the commons I'll sub are in the 8 possible 9 range. The only drawback is that PSA is so backlogged. I have another 109 '71's as part of a sub that is on business day 32 right now.

Comments

• Options
    NICE! How are the Munson and Nettles?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hows the Rose?
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NICE! How are the Munson and Nettles? >>

Munson 6 'ish and Nettles 8 'ish, but OC. Might bring a straight 7.
  • Options
    Rose 6 - 6.5
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    We created a MONSTER in Charlotte! Congrats Tommy.
  • Options
    All trimmed!!

JK. Great pickup Tommy, this one looks better than the one in Charlotte.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the looks of these better than the first set you showed us. Good luck with this sub.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    maybe it's the scans but some of those look miscut
  • Options

<< <i>All trimmed!!

JK. Great pickup Tommy, this one looks better than the one in Charlotte. >>

It's probably around the same condition overall. The Charlotte one had more submittable cards but I gave less for this one than the one in Charlotte. The Mays card needs to be upgraded in this set.
  • Options
    I don't get it. That 1971 set is one of my all time favorites, but I wouldn't buy a set after seeing the Nolan off center card. It would have turned me off. The Aaron though would have got me even though also OC. Why buy a set like this with the bankroll you have ? What will a PSA 6 OC 71 Ryan bring besides hassle of selling ?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards! If these are representative of the set as a whole, it's really nice. Congrats!
    Daniel
  • Options

<< <i>I don't get it. That 1971 set is one of my all time favorites, but I wouldn't buy a set after seeing the Nolan off center card. It would have turned me off. The Aaron though would have got me even though also OC. Why buy a set like this with the bankroll you have ? What will a PSA 6 OC 71 Ryan bring besides hassle of selling ? >>

Lol, what don't you get? I paid $1500 for the set. I'm grading around 50 of them, of which I'll sell the 9's and low pop 8's and keep the 7 and 8 stars with the set. I'll then have around $1200 in the set or less and I'll sell it for $2500. Game over

The Ryan is a straight 7 or 8 OC by the way
  • Options
    ok epawn guy. I get it. Boner buy without brain to hold off. 1500 hundred ? That set sucks it looks like.
  • Options

<< <i>ok epawn guy. I get it. Boner buy without brain to hold off. 1500 hundred ? That set sucks it looks like. >>

Says the guy who just joined and whose forum name means $hit in Spanish, lol.
  • Options
    Love the set. #1 in my book. Hardest to find from the 1970s unless you are an#l and want a perfect 1979 set centered.
    Black boarders all around are a great part of this hobby!!
    Nice pick up!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ok epawn guy. I get it. Boner buy without brain to hold off. 1500 hundred ? That set sucks it looks like. >>

Says the guy who just joined and whose forum name means $hit in Spanish, lol. >>

Lol! Please don't feed the alt's!
  • Options

<< <i>

Says the guy who just joined and whose forum name means $hit in Spanish, lol. >>

Almost every post from Cucka has been ignorant, negative, or degrading..

I think he uses IND's. Probably an Alt.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck with the numbers your crunching, I dont have any experience with 71's but I got to admit ( however in a much different way of saying it ) I agree with KaKa, the Star cards shown are way off center and have tilts save the Oliva and Niekro. No way that Ryan gets a straight 7 in my opinion.

Either way I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the set.

On a side note KaKa, share your opinion ofcourse but try to be a little more respectful maybe?
  • Options
    I was being conservative with those numbers. If I happen to hit a couple of homeruns with a low pop 9 or two then I could score really big. I have a formula for buying sets and flipping that have made me a ton over the last few years. I also have a formula for building sets that makes money but it's more work and a little less profit margin. I'm really liking these '71 sets. I made $1700 on the last one I bought and resold.

I don't submit anything that the bottom line won't increase by being graded. The exception are low pop commons that will fetch a premium that can be replaced with NM examples that don't downgrade the set. All part of the formula
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was being conservative with those numbers. If I happen to hit a couple of homeruns with a low pop 9 or two then I could score really big. I have a formula for buying sets and flipping that have made me a ton over the last few years. I also have a formula for building sets that makes money but it's more work and a little less profit margin. I'm really liking these '71 sets. I made $1700 on the last one I bought and resold.

I don't submit anything that the bottom line won't increase by being graded. The exception are low pop commons that will fetch a premium that can be replaced with NM examples that don't downgrade the set. All part of the formula >>

Understood, I wasnt taking in consideration the low pop possibilities that Im sure would be very profitable if you land a few.

I know you know what your doing and again I wish you the best of luck!
  • Options
    I'll post a few tomorrow before I send them off.
  • Options
    Booo. What are you doing now. PICS!!
    I want to see some gems!!
  • Options

<< <i>Booo. What are you doing now. PICS!!
    I want to see some gems!! >>

Laying on the couch, lol
  • Options
    That is an unfortunate tilt on the Hank. Because that card is a blazer otherwise.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    alright you had your 5 min alone time on the couch. How about some pics.
  • Options
    and I dont want to see pics of what you did on that couch.
    1971 Topps Please.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think Tommy could be lazy, take the scans he already has, put the set on ebay, and still make a profit. Not a bad buy at all.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Booo. What are you doing now. PICS!!
    I want to see some gems!! >>

Laying on the couch, lol >>

Are you off the couch yet?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up best of luck to you...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I wish I could find a 71 set in that condition raw, I'm always skeptical on ebay, especially with raw 71's, that's a great find sir!
  • Options
    Here are a few more scans before I package these up. Again, no I don't think all of them are 9 worthy, but as part of the formula 7's and 8's enhance the set and low pop 8's or 9's do really well individually and can be replaced at a fraction of the cost with NM examples to fill in the set. The Buckner has no shot at a 9, but I really like the card.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    That appears to be a sweet set.Good luck with it.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice cards. Good luck image
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Another nice pick up Tommy. The 71 set is one of my favorites and it is tough finding minty centered cards. Good luck.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    nice stuff!
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Would love to hear a few more details on the formulaimage
  • Options

<< <i>Would love to hear a few more details on the formulaimage >>

You know first hand how good the other one works. The reverse formula is even better with much less time and work.
  • Options
    thanks to everyone for all the good luck, sent 42 of these off to be graded today along with some more '73's from another set I picked up. I paid the extra 75 cents per card for the 20 day service. Hopefully PSA will come out of their backlog. I miss the time of 3 day poppage on 45 day specials.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Great looking 71s, good luck on the grades tommy.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    McNertney and Uehlander look like 9s to me
    Maybe May and Russell as well

Nice pickup
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with flipping it. The 71 set has enough upside in it to do well with it, especially at that price point. I've handled for or five raw sets myself and always did well on them. Getting 9s is a real crapshoot though. I just sent in the nicest 8 from the graded set I've been breaking and they only bumped it to 8.5. It's the Schaal card, not a toughie. I seriously can't find a flaw with it, not even a surface bump. I'm batting about .005 in terms of getting 9s from my own subs. Even a cello pack I opened a number of years ago yielded no 9s.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Scanners always make any dark boardered card look worse. They always look better in person.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

<< <i>Scanners always make any dark boardered card look worse. They always look better in person. >>

Yeah, and a blacklight makes them look even worse than a scanner. Loupe the edges and corners and see how you feel.
  • Options

<< <i>.

On a side note KaKa, share your opinion ofcourse but try to be a little more respectful maybe? >>

Got it, quick learner here. One can't be talking here like he's known folks for ever or like at the office. I got it and will take your advice. Please excuse the too blunt input above.