Home Sports Talk
Options

Chelsea with the greatest 10 man performance of all time - in the UCL Final!

VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
Not only was their captain and best defender red carded, but they were playing on the road against the most skilled offensive team in the world AND the world's best player...and they SCORED two goals and are going to the final. One of the greatest halves of futbol I've ever seen. GO BLUES!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Not only was their captain and best defender red carded, but they were playing on the road against the most skilled offensive team in the world AND the world's best player...and they SCORED two goals and are going to the final. One of the greatest halves of futbol I've ever seen. GO BLUES!!!!!! >>

Reasonable people can disagree, but I think Ashley Cole is their best defender with Ivanovic right behind him. Still, I know what you're getting at- and I agree that it was really an amazing performance. Let's also not forget that Cahill went off early, which means they played a man down against Barca without a single legitimate center-back.

I'm betting big on RVP or someone like Llorente heading to the Nou Camp this summer (assuming, that is, that David Villa is on his way out). We saw yesterday just how much that Barca team misses Zlatan. They can play tika-taka all they want in La Liga, but against big, physical teams in the CL eventually you just need to get your head on a corner kick and score, and that's something the Blaugrana just cannot do right now.
  • Options
    Huge game today- Will Real push through? From what I can gather, most bookies think Chelsea has a better shot against Real than against Bayern, owing largely (or maybe exclusively) to the fact that the final is in Bayern's home stadium. No matter what happens, however, I think the final is going to turn out to be one heck of a fun game to watch.
  • Options
    That was a great match. If today's provides even half as much excitement it will be a fantastic one. Unfortunately I have class at 2pm when it comes on, so I'll be missing it.
  • Options
    Chokes by Ronaldo / Kaka / Ramos. WOW. Bayern down 3 men in the Final. Chelsea down 4. Hilariously stupid.

I agree that Ashley Cole played the best for Chelsea in both legs but I still think Ivanovic is their best guy at the back. It's going to be weird starting Kalou in a European final. Shame that Ramires is disqualified. He's been phenomenal. Why do I have a weird feeling that Michael Essien and Florent Malouda are going to play important parts in that game? Scares the hell out of me. Go Blues!!
  • Options

<< <i>Chokes by Ronaldo / Kaka / Ramos. WOW. Bayern down 3 men in the Final. Chelsea down 4. Hilariously stupid.

I agree that Ashley Cole played the best for Chelsea in both legs but I still think Ivanovic is their best guy at the back. It's going to be weird starting Kalou in a European final. Shame that Ramires is disqualified. He's been phenomenal. Why do I have a weird feeling that Michael Essien and Florent Malouda are going to play important parts in that game? Scares the hell out of me. Go Blues!! >>

If I'm a Blues fan I'm thrilled at the prospect of Essien playing in that game. Even with kind of a bum knee I think he's a huge improvement over Obi.

Here's what I'm guessing the Blues trot out:

Cech

Boswinga Cahill ?(no idea here-will Luiz be back?) Cole
    Mata Essien Lampard Sturridge (?)
    Drog Kalou

What does Chelsea do with the other center-back position if Luiz is still down? This will be interesting. As will the other wing; Mata, obviously, takes one wing, but who will RDM put on the other side? Could there really be a Malouda sighting in Munich?

In any case, it should be a great game-- and a true ballbreaker for Newcastle if Chelsea win the CL and finish 5th in league!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but you really seem to enjoy it.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I thought this thread had potential when I saw the name "Chelsea" and 10-man performance....reminds of a girl I knew in college image
  • Options
    Yes, I thought they were talking about Bill's little girl.

Having said that, Bayern will most likely beat Chelsea in the final.
  • Options
    Anyone else here geeked up for the FA Cup final? My hope is that Liverpool can salvage what's been complete disaster in league. Gerrard should be back, which will help, though Chelsea shouldn't have any trouble putting their best XI out there either.

My hope for the Liverpool XI:

Reina
    Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
    Maxi Spearing Gerrard Downing
    Suarez
    Carroll

We'll see what happens. At least Charlie Adam is out for the year, so I don't need to worry about him sneaking onto the pitch. If I had to spend another five minutes watching him dog it this year I'd put my foot through the TV.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else here geeked up for the FA Cup final? My hope is that Liverpool can salvage what's been complete disaster in league. Gerrard should be back, which will help, though Chelsea shouldn't have any trouble putting their best XI out there either.

Reina
    Suarez
    Carroll

We'll see what happens. At least Charlie Adam is out for the year, so I don't need to worry about him sneaking onto the pitch. If I had to spend another five minutes watching him dog it this year I'd put my foot through the TV. >>

Sneaking onto the pitch? Pls help.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Liverpool looked decent against a very game Fulham club today. I seriously thinkj Fulham is a 3rd or 4th place club in Bundesliga and would challenge for the Erdivise title. Lpool has no chance in the FA Cup final with a performance like that though. Not with Terry, Merleis and Ramires playing for their whole season in that game.
  • Options

<< <i>Liverpool looked decent against a very game Fulham club today. I seriously thinkj Fulham is a 3rd or 4th place club in Bundesliga and would challenge for the Erdivise title. Lpool has no chance in the FA Cup final with a performance like that though. Not with Terry, Merleis and Ramires playing for their whole season in that game. >>

I couldn't agree more. If the 'Pool play against Chelsea like they did against Fulham they'll be raced off the pitch by the 20 minute mark. The one encouraging thing, however (at least from my perspective) is that the Reds tend to play Chelsea very tough. Considering that they've won three times at the Bridge in the past 16 months I like their chances at Wembley.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone else here geeked up for the FA Cup final? My hope is that Liverpool can salvage what's been complete disaster in league. Gerrard should be back, which will help, though Chelsea shouldn't have any trouble putting their best XI out there either.

Reina
    Suarez
    Carroll

We'll see what happens. At least Charlie Adam is out for the year, so I don't need to worry about him sneaking onto the pitch. If I had to spend another five minutes watching him dog it this year I'd put my foot through the TV. >>

Sneaking onto the pitch? Pls help. >>

Since Adam is hurt, he won't be coming on as a sub. Which to my eye is fantastic news, since he's a big part of the reason why the Liverpool league season was all but over by February.

• Options
    BTW, have you heard this talk about Cheski putting in a 22m bid for Fellaini? Or a possible return by Robben to the Bridge? How can Abromovich possibly be thinking about rebuilding this team when he doesn't even yet have a permanent manager in place?
  • Options
    I think the Robben thing is a mind game before the CL Final. They need to get younger. They should be raiding Portugal and Brazil - not going nuts on high priced guys.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Robben thing is a mind game before the CL Final. They need to get younger. They should be raiding Portugal and Brazil - not going nuts on high priced guys. >>

It should be an interesting offseason for the Blues. Hulk seems like a done deal, and I think Modric will be right behind him. The Robben thing is probably just noise, but I have to say they'd look pretty good with Robben and Mata on the wings.
  • Options
    They'll be looking pretty good with them on the wings playing only in England. I think even despite the money, Roman tells Di Matteo to throw the last two games. Nobody wants to play in the Europa League. They'd rather compete for the domestic trophies and get back to Europe the following year.

Aside from my team though, you have to say that this is the deepest EPL in years. I know the Manchester sides exited the Champions League early but of the 20 best teams in Europe, 7 and MAYBE even 8 play in England right now. pretty crazy. I just hope Juventus loses Serie A w/o a loss. That's the best story ever if it were to happen.
  • Options
    Well, so much for that, Mike. Robben just inked another two years with BM, so that's out. I'm starting to think that the two players Chelsea need are Hazard and Modric. If they can get these two then they're back in the hunt for the PL title next year. If not, then I'm not so confident. Of course, as a fan of the completely dysfunctional Liverpool Reds I hope you acquire the services of neither, but I suspect that Abromovich will find a way to make it happen.

FA Cup final is less than two days away. Should be a fantastic game!
  • Options
    And away we go! Huge day tomorrow; like all Liverpool fans I'll be rooting full-on for City to destroy QPR and thereby deny MU a 20th title. The Bolton/Stoke game should also be fascinating.

Edict- Mike, I thought you might like my most recent Ebay Purchase. . I am no fan of the Blues, and I'll be pulling for Bayern in the CL final, but Essien is one of my five favorite players in the world.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I have no idea which game I'll be watching tomorrow... I'm bummed Newcastle is on the Internet of all places.
  • Options
    QPR almost had the greatest 10 man performance ever there for about 92 minutes. Not a United fan but even further from a City supporter.
  • Options

<< <i>QPR almost had the greatest 10 man performance ever there for about 92 minutes. Not a United fan but even further from a City supporter. >>

Pretty insane morning across the pond. Don't get me wrong, it was a spectacular finish, but being down to a 10 man QPR at home in a title clincher was embarrassing. Yes they were relegation threatened but if you're trying to clinch a title, you beat a weakling team 8-1 like Chelsea did to Wigan two years ago. I'm just glad United didn't win the league.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad QPR stayed up. It was a fantastic match.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>QPR almost had the greatest 10 man performance ever there for about 92 minutes. Not a United fan but even further from a City supporter. >>

I don't like the 'concept' of City, but I like most of the guys on the team. I cannot stand anything about MU, however (save Vidic), so I was thrilled to see them lose it.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought Joe Hart was a great Keeper. Can't stand Balotelli.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't like the 'concept' of City, but I like most of the guys on the team. I cannot stand anything about MU, however (save Vidic), so I was thrilled to see them lose it. >>

Yeah, that "concept" is where they lose me.

And Ajaan, I'm happy QPR stayed up as well. There's something about that little club that I like.
  • Options
    Here we go! Bayern are favored, but as we all know anything can happen. Personally, I'll be rooting for Bayern; I like Mario Gomez, and I would rather see Spurs in the CL than Chelsea next season. However, I am a huge Drogba fan, and I would like to see him hoist the European Cup at least once before he retires.

In any event, tomorrow should give us a terrific game. Let's get it on!
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    What a terrific match! image #Chelsea FC
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    I'm nearly catatonic with joy. #CFC
  • Options

<< <i>I'm nearly catatonic with joy. #CFC >>

Man, that was just a fantastic game. The Drog will never again have to buy a drink in London. Even at 34 he has a way of taking over a game that nobody else does.

Terrible, terrible penalty by Robben. Who's brilliant idea was it to let a Dutchman take a critical PK?