Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Brown's Boxing Cards: Holyfield, Lewis and Mayweather. These cards are awesome!!!

I have had my eye on these cards for a while and broke down and bought all three. These cards in hand are very cool! I love these smaller printed issues and these certainly were.

These have yet to be chased and have very low pop totals and the cards seem to be very rare.

The 1986 Evander Holyfield has a total of 18 cards graded with only six PSA 9's and no PSA 10's. This is his true rookie card and I think the boxing market is getting stronger and there are collectors chasing a Hall of Fame registry set and this could be a key card. Here are the scans. I love how simple this card is.

The 1992 Lennox Lewis card features him as a young 27 year old rising star and is the European Champ. This is a great looking card and a nice head shot of the future champ. I really like the design of this card front and back. There are only two of these cards graded with one PSA 8 and one PSA 9. I like this scenario.

The 1997 Floyd Mayweather card is sweet!!! He is just 20 years old in this photo and on his way to being a champion. If he faces Manny Pacquiao and beats him this card will skyrocket! This is a Pop 5 with one PSA 8, two PSA 9's, and two PSA 10's. This is going to be a must have for a Hall of Fame PSA Registry set.

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love those! Does PSA grade them?
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they do. Those are the PSA pop reports I quoted. I think these could be huge.

The Holyfield has terrible centering as you can see so a Gem Mint could go nuts.

The Lewis has a smudge at the bottom which makes it tough for sure and a high grade card would certainly garner some interest.

Floyd Mayweather is still on top and a current fight as I said before brings him to the mainstream again. This is a very cool card of him at 20 years old.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    It's just a matter of finding them
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I think John has one of those Money Mayweather's signed if I recall correctly.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    That sounds like a great signed auto.

John if you are reading please post a pic. Would like to see it.

• Options

<< <i>I love those! Does PSA grade them? >>

I obviously need to pay more attention to the text. Regardless, great pickups, D!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I believe the brown's set with Holyfield has a print run of only 2000; and, as mentioned, the Holyfield is usually found off-center. Nice pick-ups.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    I checked the Browns Boxing Cards site and it does say there well less then 2000 sets of each card produced.

• Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Found John's Mayweather in his thread. It is definitely a beauty..

• Options

<< <i>Found John's Mayweather in his thread. It is definitely a beauty..

image >>

That card is money!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck - agreed, I love this series too. Sent 4 holyfields and 4 whitakers to PSA this week - both rookies from series two. The Holyfield in particular is tough as it's the top card on the sealed set. For those looking for sets, Johnnie Brown (he of Brown's boxing) is a great guy, and has about 20 sealed sets left of the series two. The print run of 2,000 (or less on other series) is right, and he doesn't reprint. His mail is brownsboxingcards@hotmail.com.
  • Options
    GL with the grades and thanks for the e-mail info ...

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I hope you are right, but I don't know. Boxing is not doing well. Go back 20-30 years and the average sports fan could DEFINITELY tell you the heavyweight champ, and probably rattle off 2-5 other champions from other weight classes. I would guess that if you polled 100 sports fans at a sports bar and asked them to give you that information, no more than one or two could do it. People know Manny and Mayweather. Maybe the Klitschko brothers? I would venture to say that if you just said "Who is the Heavyweight Champion?" and didn't specify boxing, more people would give you the WWE or UFC champion than boxing, by a large margin.

Boxing has the diehard fans. Casual people don't watch it. In the 1970's, I can remember watching tons of fights with my dad on FREE television. There was a championship fight on almost every Saturday or Sunday. The average working man got to see people like Little Red Lopez, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez, Marvin Hagler, and Muhammad Ali for free on a regular basis. Now, championship fights almost never air on network television. They are Pay per view. If boxing wants to be big again, they need to follow the UFC's lead. Put the best guys on television (either network or basic cable) so that the masses can see them and become familiar with them. Then show some FREE big fights. But boxing would rather have four different organizations each have a champion and dilute the pool and have a product that loses market share every year. It's about as big as horseracing.

So, will there be an interest in guys like Holyfield in ten to twenty years if boxing is dead or on life support?
    Maybe.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Powdered - I agree to an extent. The heavyweight division is a terrible mess, with few marquee names at the moment and an awful championship metric to boot. That said, if the Manny vs. Mayweather fight would ever happen, it would be huge for boxing - even if it's only pay per view. They're the ones ruining it for everyone right now, and watching them avoid each other for years is sickening. Either way, once boxing has that once-in-a-generation figure come around again in the heavyweight division, the ship will be righted.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope you are right, but I don't know. Boxing is not doing well. Go back 20-30 years and the average sports fan could DEFINITELY tell you the heavyweight champ, and probably rattle off 2-5 other champions from other weight classes. I would guess that if you polled 100 sports fans at a sports bar and asked them to give you that information, no more than one or two could do it. People know Manny and Mayweather. Maybe the Klitschko brothers? I would venture to say that if you just said "Who is the Heavyweight Champion?" and didn't specify boxing, more people would give you the WWE or UFC champion than boxing, by a large margin.

Boxing has the diehard fans. Casual people don't watch it. In the 1970's, I can remember watching tons of fights with my dad on FREE television. There was a championship fight on almost every Saturday or Sunday. The average working man got to see people like Little Red Lopez, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez, Marvin Hagler, and Muhammad Ali for free on a regular basis. Now, championship fights almost never air on network television. They are Pay per view. If boxing wants to be big again, they need to follow the UFC's lead. Put the best guys on television (either network or basic cable) so that the masses can see them and become familiar with them. Then show some FREE big fights. But boxing would rather have four different organizations each have a champion and dilute the pool and have a product that loses market share every year. It's about as big as horseracing.

So, will there be an interest in guys like Holyfield in ten to twenty years if boxing is dead or on life support?
    Maybe. >>

Boxing may not have the popularity it once had, but it is far from dead. The lack of any good American heavyweights is hurting the sport, but the welterweight through super middleweight classes are doing well. There are plenty of fights shown on basic HBO, Showtime, and ESPN. There are only about 5 boxers that are PPV stars, and even then anyone not named Manny or Floyd can been seen on HBO or Showtime on occassion. Even back in the 1980's, all of the big fights were on close circuit and not free TV.

The Hispanics are huge boxing fans and the sport will grow as they become a large percentage of the population. Maybe that will convince one of the networks to put a title fight on prime time.
    Mike
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    These are great cards. It took me a while to find the mayweather card. You don't see that in on ebay very often. The quality control on the earlier sets was terrible too. The cards are all different sizes and printed on pretty low quality stock. A holyfield slabbed in an 8 or better is a great find. I'm surprised there are not more MC qualifiers on the pop report. The 97 set seems to be much better quality. The cards have a nice gloss and seem to be all the same size. I have the mayweather in a 9 and holyfield in an 8 which was a very generous grade imo. I have a raw lewis card that I've been thinking about getting slabbed. He has a 91 kayo and ring lords card though and I'm really just interested in rookie cards even though the Browns is much cooler. Glad to see dpecks interest in these sets. Hopefully it has the same affect as it did on the 82 all star cards
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    I have been looking for a Mayweather card if anyone has an extra for sell. PM me or email me at eloy100@gmail.com

Hook'em
    Hook'em
  • Options
    I remember watching early Tyson fights on HBO. Those were the last good days of boxing
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    It looks like these cards are starting to get hot!

PSA 9 Mayweather

Mayweather on EBAY

I am going to send mine in tomorrow with some other cards and see what happens. I still think this card has a lot of potential and a great boxing card to own.
  • Options
    Good luck with the sub and make sure to post your results!
    Jeff
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I think boxing died after Tyson.

-You have a diluted product.

-Increase in competition among the fight crowd (UFC).

-I think boxing was at it's most popular with great personalities. Boxing thrives on personalities. Muhammed Ali, Tyson. Look at De La Hoya's success. We're definitely at a low point in the boxing cycle.

-I think the guys from the 80's or early 90's were more relatable to the average fan. Sugar Ray Leonard. Duran. They seemed to have come from working class backgrounds and moved up the ranks.

I think boxing is so splintered now, its harder to follow a guys career.
  • Options
    I miss Friday night fights and the Tuesday night fights ...
  • Options
    I saw that sale... You used to be able to get the mayweather from the browns website for 10 bucks. Sounds kinda like the good old days of buying from wrestlingprints.com. Foolishly I only bought one for my personal collection and didn't stock up on them when I had the chance. He still has several Lenox Lewis cards still available though
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wow, that's nice to see! Just had some poppage on these too, have an extra Pernell Whitaker RC and Holyfield RC (both in PSA 8) if anyone is interested before they hit ebay.
  • Options
    Good luck with these on EBAY. I think they should do quite well. The Holyfield is a really tough card because of centering issues.

• Options
    thanks Dpeck! The top 50 all time boxers PSA set registry is launching this week too, and with both of these cards on it, there might be interest there as well.
  • Options
    So I would think that the Mike Tyson Panini has to be in there. That is the greatest modern boxing card there is.

• Options
    Anyone mind posting the checklist for the top 50 boxing card set? Or at least the top 10. Should be an interesting list. It will definately help popularize the browns cards. Hopefully some of the 60s and 70s paniini too.
  • Options
    hey guys - we're finalizing the top 50 list now - here's the list - although there's still a few variations and weighting issues to sort out, it's basically ready to go!

and Dpeck - you know the Tyson's there!
  • Options
    Is this going to be a static list or will changes be made over time?

Browns Boxing Mayweather on EBAY ends tonight

I am interested to see if we get some late action on this auction.
  • Options
    it's still being finalized, but it's basically there. Compiling this list has been a many-month process in order to find the true rookie cards of the top 50 boxers (through 1987 RCs) according to several criteria - some professional (championships, etc.) and some card-related (did a card exist during playing years, etc.). As making either list can be a very subjective endeavor, I enlisted the invaluable help of many long-time boxing collectors here, on the net54 boards, and a few other sources for player and card selection. While I believe that the compiled list is the most extensive (and complete) so far, I'm hoping that we can continue to improve it where needed! PSA is happy to assist if/when we find corrections.

Also, the odds of anyone getting 100% completion are going to be tough. There are maybe 3 Fitzsimmons cards in existence, and an equal number found of the Archie Moore.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Why a sportscaster for Sugar Ray Leonard and not Larry Holmes when they basically had cards from the same series (Sportscaster and then the 1982 Panini)? Curious. I think I would have liked to end with Floyd Mayweather but I understand how subjective this all is.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Miklia, cool list - this is the first I've seen of it. Is there a thread for this list anywhere? As you've stated - it's subjective, but there are a few cards listed as rookies in there that should be discussed.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks for the note - oddly, there hasn't been a Sportscaster Holmes for sale on Ebay for the last 6 months - I didn't know it existed, especially given the stack of Leonards available. We might need an update! Do you know if it's tougher than the Sugar Ray, or just less in demand?
  • Options
    Jeff - there's a few errors that I'm working with PSA to get corrected, and once they are completed I'm planning on updating the other threads where we've talked about the list to get some comments. Thanks again to you for your great help on this!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that there were fewer sportscaster produced as the numbers got higher as eventually there was just less demand for them. The lower the numbers the easier they are to get. I do not really know the absolute numbers on the series though that were the breaking point. I like to collect the Dan Gable card from series 80 and it is fairly tough to acquire.

I think that some collectors generally just hate the oversize cards. I believe most collectors would prefer to have the 1982 Panini's of Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard. Those are tough calls as the desirability of Sportscasters is uneven at best.

I think this is great for boxing collectors to attempt. I started a set of 19th century wrestlers and it is a lot of fun. I do not know if anyone else will attempt to do what I am doing but at least it is out there for all to see and increase visibility to the cards of a non-typical collecting sport.

Good luck!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Very cool list. I'm always interested in these types of sets. I'm sure you have already discussed the checklist in great lengths.. So my 2 cents isn't intended to derail the work that already been done... Just throwing it out there.. This seems to more along the lines of a master set. Some of the rookies are their first card but very rare and would be very difficult to complete if there are several people working it. That is fine. Its great to have challenging sets. I just think it would get more interest if the "popular" generally accepted rookie cards are part of it.. Such as 1922 champions Dempsy, 48 leaf sugar ray, and 1982 panini sugar ray
  • Options
    Hey Eagles. You touch upon a number of points that we've been debating as well, and they're good ones. Traditionally, boxing card guys have gone for the 'best' card over a RC, for several different reasons. So, when we started working on the list, the goal was first to make one that was acceptable to all, if not perfect to anyone. A few of the key tiebreaker considerations were:

1) Card demand and proximity to true RC. This was perhaps the biggest sticking point, as many felt that if we were going to make a RC list, then the RC is the RC, no exceptions. However, several couldn't make the list then because of logistics (early Exhibit cards). This is also why the 1920 Dempsey was chosen over the 1922, and the Sugar Ray Robinson was picked. However, as you rightly note it might not be the most popular of the player's 'rookie' cards - and some true RCs are near-impossible. Made some judgement calls, but happy to entertain considerations.

2) Variety. Given the much more international nature of boxing, we tried to make a list that was not only accurate, but also illustrated how many different types of card issues there were out there. Swedish, Argentinian, Italian, UK, and USA releases are included among others. There are cards from classic sets (A&G, 1948 Leaf, 1951 Ringside), random one-offs that seem to be extremely popular now (the Hemmets Ali), as well as the more traditional Panini and Browns singles. This is why the Sportscaster Leonard was included. I'm happy to also consider the Holmes sportscaster, especially as there is a lot of Panini representation already - although demand for the Panini is certainly greater.

3) Fun. As the first of its kind, we wanted to make a list that people would enjoy collecting. In that sense, the first 25% or so are easy, the middle 50% are trickier but attainable, and the last 25% are for the hardcore. We wanted to make some challenging and some on the easier side (where applicable) to perhaps generate some new interest in a sport where prices are still depressed maybe 40-50% from 5 years ago, even on the pre-1950 stuff. Right now, boxing is cheap.

Hope this clears it up a bit!
  • Options
    All good points. I can certainly appreciate a true rookie card list. It makes the checklist the least subjective. The only reasons why I brought up the more popular cards was I thought it might generate more interest with collectors who don't focus an boxing cards.. Also I wanted to see the Lampo ali on a psa rookie for selfish reasons since I own it image.
  • Options
    I think this is a exciting news for boxing collectors.

I only have an interest in a few of the modern cards but I have to think this will increase interest in the genre and could drive prices higher for many boxing cards.

This is certainly not bad news for my Tyson collection!

• Options

<< <i>Hey Eagles. You touch upon a number of points that we've been debating as well, and they're good ones. Traditionally, boxing card guys have gone for the 'best' card over a RC, for several different reasons. So, when we started working on the list, the goal was first to make one that was acceptable to all, if not perfect to anyone. A few of the key tiebreaker considerations were:

1) Card demand and proximity to true RC. This was perhaps the biggest sticking point, as many felt that if we were going to make a RC list, then the RC is the RC, no exceptions. However, several couldn't make the list then because of logistics (early Exhibit cards). This is also why the 1920 Dempsey was chosen over the 1922, and the Sugar Ray Robinson was picked. However, as you rightly note it might not be the most popular of the player's 'rookie' cards - and some true RCs are near-impossible. Made some judgement calls, but happy to entertain considerations.

2) Variety. Given the much more international nature of boxing, we tried to make a list that was not only accurate, but also illustrated how many different types of card issues there were out there. Swedish, Argentinian, Italian, UK, and USA releases are included among others. There are cards from classic sets (A&G, 1948 Leaf, 1951 Ringside), random one-offs that seem to be extremely popular now (the Hemmets Ali), as well as the more traditional Panini and Browns singles. This is why the Sportscaster Leonard was included. I'm happy to also consider the Holmes sportscaster, especially as there is a lot of Panini representation already - although demand for the Panini is certainly greater.

3) Fun. As the first of its kind, we wanted to make a list that people would enjoy collecting. In that sense, the first 25% or so are easy, the middle 50% are trickier but attainable, and the last 25% are for the hardcore. We wanted to make some challenging and some on the easier side (where applicable) to perhaps generate some new interest in a sport where prices are still depressed maybe 40-50% from 5 years ago, even on the pre-1950 stuff. Right now, boxing is cheap.

Hope this clears it up a bit! >>

While I differ in opinion on a few of the cards selected to represent rookies - I LOVE that you have put this list together. There's a lot of knowledgeable boxing collectors out there - and I'm sure a ton of thought and work went into this list. I'm also very happy several modern fighters (like Tyson) are included, as I feel like modern boxing cards are way under-appreciated. Great work Miklia!
    Jeff
  • Options
    PSA 9 Mayweather on EBAY sold

This just ended for $200 plus the $19 international shipping cost.

Nice price!

• Options
    Wow... Great to see these kind of prices. A psa 10 sold for about 50 bucks a few months ago. The quality of the 97 set is so much better than the earlier sets. The holyfield is printed on thin stock with zero gloss.. And cut in all different sizes. The 97 set seems to be much higher quality and has nice gloss. I like to see interest in cards outside of the big 4 sports
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>PSA 9 Mayweather on EBAY sold

This just ended for $200 plus the $19 international shipping cost.

Nice price! >>

Damn. That card flipped fast. It is the same one that I was the underbidder at $125 a month ago. I was hoping he would put it back up for auction instead of the $279 OBO it was listed at.

Hook'em
  • Options
    Dose anyone know about the 1997 question of sport mayweather rookie. Is it rare?

jesse6131414
  • Options
    A dealer I know told me that the card in question is mislabeled by Beckett and is much newer then the slab says and I believe it from 2007.

2007 Question of Sport

I just did a search before I posted this and here is a link to another card and yes it states it is from 2007. The year on the card I believe is just the trademark date.

This is by no means his rookie card and I would believe that if the market realized it was just a few years old it would carry much less value.

If you are collecting it as another rookie card and do care about the value I would sell it now before more collectors realize the true age of the card.

If you just want to have all of his cards then keep it and just be prepared for the value of it to decline at some point.
  • Options
    There is one that looks the same but it has a green back that's the newer one. The one with the red back is from 1997. It is a pic of him from is first pro fight on the card.
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Just got this one back from PSA. It is oversized.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    I like it!!
  • Options
    Big fight tonight for Mayweather.

Here is the card from the first post.