Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 19, 2012: Finally got a Barber! But it's not a dime...or a quarter...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
I've found Barber dimes, and a few quarters, but never a Barber half...until today! I was actually just thinking recently how one of these has never showed up. And Pocketpiececommens (PPC) was just asking through PM where the Barber dime was. It's no dime, but it'll do! image

Got out today to one of my favorite fields to see what could come up. After wandering aimlessly for a good hour and a half I decide to go to a section I know I've never hit before. Within 5 minutes I get a loud signal...almost like a soda can. However, it pinpointed several inches and the numbers indicated a quarter...hmmmm. Took a shovel full of dirt, and on the top of one of the clumps was a big silver coin...a 1907-D Barber half.

Now, I tried taking a video with my phone, but apparently I need a little practice, haha. You can try watching anyway.

I don't know why it's sooo.... thin...but here you go Video Here

Not sure why my finger looks like it hasn't seen moisture in 15 years... but that's how it came out! It's a little beat up, but still my first barber half ever!

Comments

• Options
    Very nice!
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your pics it looks like your out in a corn field. Nice find.imageimage
  • Options
    Nice half. It took me about 10 or 15 years to get my first. Seemed like everyone else was digging them. I got my first ,a 1903s, in golden gate park.what a thrill! I can totally imagine how you must have felt. So whats next on your list?
  • Options

<< <i>From your pics it looks like your out in a corn field. Nice find. >>

Thanks PPC! You are correct, it is a corn field.

<< <i>Nice half. It took me about 10 or 15 years to get my first. Seemed like everyone else was digging them. I got my first ,a 1903s, in golden gate park.what a thrill! I can totally imagine how you must have felt. So whats next on your list? >>

Hey Demo, good hearing from you! It was a huge thrill digging it. Not much can beat big silver in the plug. How many barber halves do you have?

haha, as in the next on the list... I'll have to think for a bit on what's next on the "wish list". Would love to find a silver cob, but that's not a reality in this part of the state.

• Options
    edited to remove double post...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super find.... what a nice coin... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I think I've dug 7 or 8 barber halves. I've always wanted to dig a large cent or bust silver. I've seen it done here, but its rare.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a way cool find. congrats on the find image
  • Options
    GREAT FIND!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Awesome!

My first Barber half came with a Barber quarter from the same hole.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage