Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Goodwin and Co Auction T206 Honus Wagner bid surpasses 1 million!!!

Honus Wagner

Wow this baby is exploding!!! I am anxious to see how this finishes! I read the rules and this is without the buyers premium so the true current bid is $1,232,466.34!!!

The Eddie Plank card is making a very strong showing too!

Eddie Plank

Just a little more then two days to go to see how these bad boys finish.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats big news!
  • Options
    ok, I'll wait for another one....
    ==> image
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options

<< <i>ok, I'll wait for another one....
    ==> image >>

Just wait it out Rick, you'll get one cheaper....it's a dying hobby remember?

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    and they are supposed to be the "better" graders pre-war...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    This morning, after three years of looking, I finally managed to snag a 2004 Mark Fidrych Topps Fan Favorites Refractor. For $6.20, including shipping.

I'm wayyyyyy happier today than anybody with a T206 Wagner.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I am the high bidder at the moment.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    ...........on several ebay auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>I am the high bidder at the moment. >>

I hope you're not too disappointed when my snipe kicks in. image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This morning, after three years of looking, I finally managed to snag a 2004 Mark Fidrych Topps Fan Favorites Refractor. For $6.20, including shipping.

I'm wayyyyyy happier today than anybody with a T206 Wagner. >>

But you're still not as happy as Bill Goodwin
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Are Wagners all starting to push a million or is this because it's a Sweet Caporal back as opposed to (what I assume is the more common) Piedmont back?
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    This Wagner is off to a strong start, as well...REA - Honus Wagner
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are Wagners all starting to push a million or is this because it's a Sweet Caporal back as opposed to (what I assume is the more common) Piedmont back? >>

Actually, if I remember correctly, the Gretzky-McNall PSA 8 Wagner is the only Piedmont-backed Wagner in the graded population; all other Wagner's are Sweet Caporal.

Most graded Wagner's are graded PSA 2/SGC 30 or less. So this SGC 40 is actually one of the higher-graded cards to have recently gone up for bids.

According to the population reports, PSA has graded 32 Wagners as follows:

PSA Auth---5
    PSA 1-------9
    PSA 2------10
    PSA 3-------4
    PSA 4-------1
    PSA 5MC---1
    PSA 5-------1
    PSA 8-------1

SGC has graded 11 Wagners as follows:

SGC Auth---2
    SGC 10------3
    SGC 30------1
    SGC 40------4
    SGC 50------1

So, out of 43 total graded Wagner's (between SGC and PSA); I believe there's also a GAI 1 or 2-graded Wagner, and one graded BVG 1, there are only a maximum of 4 graded higher than PSA 3/SGC 40, with only 8 at the PSA 3/SGC 40 level (not counting the PSA 5MC).

Steve
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen the PSA 5 Wagner?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen the PSA 5 Wagner?
    I have, yes
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Bill Goodwin stands to get some very nice buyer's fees from this auction!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If the SGC 50 Wagner was the Dreiers it was crossed back into a PSA 4 holder.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This morning, after three years of looking, I finally managed to snag a 2004 Mark Fidrych Topps Fan Favorites Refractor. For $6.20, including shipping.

I'm wayyyyyy happier today than anybody with a T206 Wagner. >>

But you're still not as happy as Bill Goodwin >>

I'm not so sure...I'm pretty darn happy!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less then 24 hours to go.

The end will be interesting. Either no action or a ton of action.

Definitely will be watching.
  • Options
    1:21:19 to go.

I have never personally witnessed the close of an item even close to this price range. It will be very interesting to see if the major bids come at the end and drive this card much higher or if we have seen the action.

Time will tell. I am definitely watching.

• Options
    PSA 3

Already up to $1,140,000 with the buyers premium.

Interesting to see if you live in New Jersey you have to pay 7% sales tax. Ouch.

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 3

Interesting to see if you live in New Jersey you have to pay 7% sales tax. Ouch. >>

If a guy can afford over a million on the card, he can afford the tax image
    And Trenton surely hoped the winning bidder resides in Jersey

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 3

Interesting to see if you live in New Jersey you have to pay 7% sales tax. Ouch. >>

If a guy can afford over a million on the card, he can afford the tax image
    And Trenton surely hoped the winning bidder resides in Jersey >>

If it goes for 1.5 million you are talking an extra 105k. Nothing to sneeze at no matter how much dough you have.

Trenton is definitely hoping the winner resides in NJ. In reality most people who are buying cards in this price range have second homes in other states like Florida where we don't have a state tax so I would imagine they will find a way to avoid the 7%.

I love seeing PSA graded cards command these prices. I get it my wrestling cards will never be in the same stratosphere in price but it is nice to be able to say the same company reviewed the cards.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love seeing cards in any holder or even raw do so well. The T210 Jackson, Foto Ruth, Cobb/Cobb, 52 Mick, and others are also insane pieces.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Me and my son got to hold this one a few years ago.....

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That one got a 2 grade??
  • Options
    Some folks may be a bit confused, Florida has no state income tax, but does have a state sales tax.
  • Options

<< <i>Some folks may be a bit confused, Florida has no state income tax, but does have a state sales tax. >>

When you purchase merchandise in your own state you are supposed to pay sales tax. One of the primary reasons I would bet that PWCC moved to Oregon was because there are so many collectors in CA that were getting hit with nearly 10% tax on their purchases straight from EBAY.

If I buy from PWCC I am not asked to pay sales tax since I live in Florida.

There isn't any state that doesn't have a sales tax. That said online commerce has been able to avoid this issue for quite sometime when merchandise is sold to someone living in another state.

The auction house is based in New Jersey so if you are a resident of that state the auction house will force you to pay that tax.

The state income tax is an entirely different issue all together and deals with income not purchases. There are loads of people who own homes in multiple states and I believe the threshold is 7 months must be spent in that state to have it considered your primary residence.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current Bidding
    Minimum Bid: $300,000.00
    Final prices include buyers premium.: $1,232,466.34
    Number Bids: 14

Ok.

Who here bought it?

Enquiring minds.... image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There isn't any state that doesn't have a sales tax. That said online commerce has been able to avoid this issue for quite sometime when merchandise is sold to someone living in another state.

The auction house is based in New Jersey so if you are a resident of that state the auction house will force you to pay that tax. >>

Oregon, Delaware, Alaska, Montana, and New Hampshire do not have a state sales tax. O-D-A-M-N for those scoring at home.

If you are able to pay $1m for a baseball card and live in NJ then chances are you have a second home somewhere not in New Jersey where the card could be mailed to. Not saying it is ethical but that is how a NJ resident could avoid being charged NJ sales tax on the purchase. Notice I said "being charged". "Legally owing" is a different story.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>Some folks may be a bit confused, Florida has no state income tax, but does have a state sales tax. >>

When you purchase merchandise in your own state you are supposed to pay sales tax. One of the primary reasons I would bet that PWCC moved to Oregon was because there are so many collectors in CA that were getting hit with nearly 10% tax on their purchases straight from EBAY.

If I buy from PWCC I am not asked to pay sales tax since I live in Florida.

There isn't any state that doesn't have a sales tax. That said online commerce has been able to avoid this issue for quite sometime when merchandise is sold to someone living in another state.

The auction house is based in New Jersey so if you are a resident of that state the auction house will force you to pay that tax.

The state income tax is an entirely different issue all together and deals with income not purchases. There are loads of people who own homes in multiple states and I believe the threshold is 7 months must be spent in that state to have it considered your primary residence. >>

Oregon certainly doesn't have a sales tax- which is why Washingtonians flock there to do shopping around Christmas time.
  • Options
    You learn something new everyday.

I never would have guessed you could buy merchandise from a store and not pay tax.

Do these states have much higher property taxes or some other way to generate revenue?

Edit: Did a quick Google search 5 states

Here is a more detailed article. No sales tax
  • Options
    $1,320,000 with the buyers premium.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You learn something new everyday.

I never would have guessed you could buy merchandise from a store and not pay tax.

Do these states have much higher property taxes or some other way to generate revenue?

Edit: Did a quick Google search 5 states

Here is a more detailed article. No sales tax >>

Bingo on the property taxes in Oregon......I am close enough to make a day trip to Oregon and bring some stuff back to me to California. This is really good for electronics and home improvement items.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable