Home Metal Detecting

18th Century Jaw Harp

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Found something the other day that was a first for me. It's a Jew's/Jaw/Mouth (whatever you want to call it) harp and it apparently dates from the late 18th century or early 19th century. Usually with finding relics like buttons, they're neat, but I haven't really reflected on the history, how they were lost, etc. But with this find, it just brought images of someone in the 1790s working on the farm, probably with the surroundings as quiet as can be and barely a visitor.... after a hard day's work he sits back and plays this for a spell to relax.

I think the homeowner deserves this piece to perserve the history of his property. Very cool! There was a second piece that's now missing. That's what provides the "twang" sound in the video.

Here's a Youtube Link to someone playing one: Link

Comments

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I have never heard of this instrument... nor have I heard of the "nose flute", both seem limited and odd to me but hey to each his own.

What tells you this one is so old?

Thanks for sharing,
    Ray
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    The sound ranges are certainly limited for this thing, but you can get a little tune going...enough to stay entertained for a few minutes, haha. I asked some members on the Treasurenet site how old they thought it was and they indicated that age. I've seen some images online of similarly designed ones that are also from around the late 1700s/early 1800s.
  • morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    You know, I could never have ever guessed what that thing was until you said so, and now I'm going to buy one and try it out. So BA!

Thanks for the info brother.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People made music in many ways in the past.... always been a part of human society. Cheers, RickO
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I learned to play one of those passably well when I was a kid. That's really cool to see one so old. I think they've been around for many centuries. I don't know that I'd have wanted to play one in the age before dentistry, though. It's easy to chip a tooth if you mess up.