Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2012 Topps Archives Thread

Comments

• Interesting that they brought back the "Fan Favorites" tag after a few years on the shelf. Nice, clean on-card autos look amazing! I'm sold, I will be buying a few boxes.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that they brought back the "Fan Favorites" tag after a few years on the shelf. Nice, clean on-card autos look amazing! I'm sold, I will be buying a few boxes. >>

You know I just noticed that looking at the autos on Ebay. All the auto are really nice, you can tell they took their time. Not the crap that I have seen from current players in Heritage and what not. Worst one I have seen so far has been Darvish and his is better that most of the autos I pulled from Heritage.
  • I am about to go buy 3 hobby boxes tonight after work, my local shop is selling them for $95. A little more than I wanted to pay, but for some reason I am like a kid in a candy store with this release. I am primarily a hockey guy, but this set has me excited for some dumb reason.

Good luck to everyone that buys some of this, if anyone is willing to trade, I will be trying to put together at least the 1-240 set if not all of the inserts as well.
  • WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Joe. Huge pull on its own, but even better when you are a Giants fan.
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I think these types of Autos are the appeal,....

..... rather than a Chris Chambers 1952 reprint auto in Lineage 2011 (which I got in a pack AND as a "comparable" replacement to a redemption Topps couldn't fulfil, (what are the chances !?))

Nothing against Chris Chambers....I'm just not old enough to make the connection.

• << <i>I am about to go buy 3 hobby boxes tonight after work, my local shop is selling them for $95. A little more than I wanted to pay, but for some reason I am like a kid in a candy store with this release. I am primarily a hockey guy, but this set has me excited for some dumb reason.

Good luck to everyone that buys some of this, if anyone is willing to trade, I will be trying to put together at least the 1-240 set if not all of the inserts as well. >>

Well I just talked to the lady that owns my Local shop and she has an unopened case that she will sell me for $880...I am usually a low end bottom feeder, but I am going to take the plunge and buy my first ever case. Now this may lead to a divorce if my wife finds out what I paid for "stupid worthless baseball cards", but at least I should have some trade bait for my brothers in cardboard.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'll be getting a couple boxes but have to wait till Saturday cause I'm stuck at work all week till after the shop closes. My employee is on vacation and I can't get out of here. That's his last vacation I tell ya
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Joe talked himself into opening a 4th box from his case. Probably a good thing.

<< <i>Joe talked himself into opening a 4th box from his case. Probably a good thing.

image >>

Sweet pull guys! Happy day. I have 3 boxes a day early rippage to come.
  • Josephcb09Josephcb09 Posts: 286 ✭✭
    Well I think I'm done.

We opened 4 boxes and pulled 2 PC cards I wanted and would have bought on eBay. Besides the two big autographs I pulled a couple base sets and a ton of cool insert cards. I think topps did a nice job with this product. It's a lot of fun.

But Geordie couldn't convince me this was a hot case so I am going to stop here. I will most likely buy a Mays autograph on eBay and call it good.
    First box observations. The card stock is too thin, not sure if I like the reprints, the deckle cards are awsome! Over all alot of good stuff. Box 1 results below. No mini Sandberg in this box, it must be in the second one. Rippage coming.

First the Autos to very nice sigs

Second we have the deckles which are awsome.

My guess is these are foil?

The rest top are cloth, followed by 3D, then stickers I think they just used from Heritage.

Cory,

I am looking to trade any of my inserts for giants inserts I don't have yet. Are you interested in trading that mays or marichal?
    those cards are making me moist

<< <i>Cory,

I am looking to trade any of my inserts for giants inserts I don't have yet. Are you interested in trading that mays or marichal? >>

Let me get things sorted out. I plan on doing all the non auto insert sets. I am sure I will rip more than the 3 boxes I have so I will keep you in mind. Unless you just wanted to trade the Mays auto for Giants inserts straight up image
    BOX 2! Did not yield my framed mini Sandberg! But I did contain a framed mini of one of my top 5 favorite cubbies!

And one of the the few White Sox I like.

Fair enough Cory.

Great second box
    Last box. Really fun rip I cant wait to get more. Off to eat and then sort this stuff.

I opened 1 box and six packs, pulled four autograph. Sid Bream, Ron Kettle, Bill Madlock and Jack Clark. Who is trading?

Here is what I have for trade. I think I might do the 3D set or the cloth set.

SP's: 221-228-238-385-214-205-295-333-244-206-164

69DE Morgan
    Stickers: Lincy-Tulo-Ian Kenn
    Golds Lincy-Heyward-Lawrie
    Hey Kevin,

Im trading for giants inserts. Interested in the Lincecum sticker. Send me what you need.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    so far I've landed 3 of the Butler autos. You guys that are still ripping, please keep me in mind if you pull the SPed Butler (#215). Topps informed me this morning that they have the giveaway boxes in hand and will be shipping mine in the next couple of days. I'll have a little trade bait.
  • So far from what I see, one maybe 2 autos per box? Kind of beats the odds on Heritage there.

Nice pulls with the Griffey and Jenkins, I am getting stoked to pick up a few boxes soon.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
    I think two autos per box (hobby) is what they are advertising
    20-25 minute round trip to the card shop from work. Wonder if they'd notice if I closed the parts department at a car dealership for a bit today

<< <i>20-25 minute round trip to the card shop from work. Wonder if they'd notice if I closed the parts department at a car dealership for a bit today >>

I worked next to a quick lube place in High School and college and the guys that worked there call the Thursdays before Memorial Day weekend "National Oil Change Day".
    I found a way to pull this off. I'm sending my delivery driver over there to pick them up for me today image
  • I bought my case last night and ripped two boxes in the bedroom with the wife (I had to make her happy first image

So far no big pulls. My four autos are Al Oliver, Bake McBride, Ray Lankford X 2 <----- so if any cardinals fans want one, let me know.

I have class tonight after work and then I will be ripping the other 8 boxes. Scans to follow once I get all this stuff sorted.
    Anyone trading yet?

Here's my want list:

Sps: 203 (x2), 207, 210, 209 (x2), 212, 215, 216, 218, 219, 220, 223, 224, 225, 227, 232, 233

Deckle edge: 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 13, 15

3D: Ruth, Kemp, Mays, Celmente

Cloth: Mccutchen, Hunter, Carpenter, Brett, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Jackson, Yount, Halladay

Stickers: Mays, Lincecum

Giants relics

Here are some of thie things I have for trade:

Autos: Bille Lee, Roger Mcdowell, Greg Luzinski, Cleon Jones, Jack Mcdowell, Jimm Wynn

Nick swisher relic

Lots of stickers, gold parallels, Topps Pennant cards

<< <i>I found a way to pull this off. I'm sending my delivery driver over there to pick them up for me today image >>

So does the Zep pull work if they are purchased and handled by someone other than Zep? image

Edit to say: Good luck!
    We'll find out in about 3 hours - He's picking them up for me right now image

• << <i>Anyone trading yet?

Here's my want list:

Sps: 203 (x2), 207, 210, 209 (x2), 212, 215, 216, 218, 219, 220, 223, 224, 225, 227, 232, 233

Cloth: Mccutchen, Hunter, Carpenter, Brett, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Jackson, Yount, Halladay

Giants relics

Autos: Bille Lee, Roger Mcdowell, Greg Luzinski, Cleon Jones, Jack Mcdowell, Jimm Wynn

Nick swisher relic

Lots of stickers, gold parallels, Topps Pennant cards >>

Joseph,

I have 8 boxes left to rip, but I know for sure that I have some stuff you may want. I have a Brian Wilson 56 Relic, I also for sure know that I have extras of Clemente 3D, Mucutheon, Brett, and Jackson Cloth. I will PM you a full list of what I have for trade once I get through these.

thanks

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone trading yet?

Here's my want list:

Giants relics

Nick swisher relic

Lots of stickers, gold parallels, Topps Pennant cards >>

Joseph,

I have 8 boxes left to rip, but I know for sure that I have some stuff you may want. I have a Brian Wilson 56 Relic, I also for sure know that I have extras of Clemente 3D, Mucutheon, Brett, and Jackson Cloth. I will PM you a full list of what I have for trade once I get through these.

thanks >>

That sounds great.

Shoot me a PM when you're ready.

Joe
    Just ripped the first box - nothing great

Steve Balboni Auto
    George Foster Auto with a razor blade line all the way across the front of it - boo

• jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I bought 8 packs and got 2 autos Mike Scott and I can't remember the other.

Bought 1 2012 Bowman Jumbo pack and got this...

4/5

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    That IS a nice hit!!!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.

<< <i>Just ripped the first box - nothing great

Steve Balboni Auto
    George Foster Auto with a razor blade line all the way across the front of it - boo >>

Big hit Zep come on now.

On a side note has anyone pulled any 1982 In-Acton inserts? I ripped 3 boxes so far and never got one.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    My 2nd Archives auto was Amis Otis
    Damn Jon - nice Bichette - come from Tom's?

Here's my stuff:

That's a great Foster.

Has anyone put together the SPs?

It looks like a bunch of random cards, not really part of a set.....

The line under Fosters signature going across the card looks like a razor blade cut image
    Nice pulls Zep. Gotta love the time these guys took sign these cards.

OT: I have been thinking about this for awhile, wasnt one of Fosters cards in the 80's one of the first art cards?

<< <i>The line under Fosters signature going across the card looks like a razor blade cut image >>

Where is the QC?

I remember about 3 or 4 Clubhouse relics in a row I opened that had four distinct "bends" on the edge where it looked like I got the top card of a bundle that was banded together.

They didn't give the collector the chance to mishandle the card like in the old days, they are doing it for you.

Still the '78 set brings back good memories.

Maybe George used a box cutter and you got the first one he signed....

<< <i>Maybe George used a box cutter and you got the first one he signed.... >>

could be LOL Llooking at it closely, I can tell he signed it after the cut cause there is ink in the slit.
  • I'm seven boxes into my case, and unless I get hot the tears are going to start flowing haha...I probably have at least 5 base sets and almost all of the insert/sp sets, I am probably missing a couple.

Autos So Far

Ray Lankford X 2
    Bake McBride
    Al Oliver
    Bill Buckner
    Amos Otis
    Luis Tiant
    Mike Scott
    Chili Davis
    Cecil Cooper
    Dick Groat
    Jack Clark
    Bill Madlock

Off the top of my head I can't remember the 14th one, but it's another one not to get excited about. Holy hell I hope I pull some big hit out of these final 3 boxes.

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe George used a box cutter and you got the first one he signed.... >>

could be LOL Llooking at it closely, I can tell he signed it after the cut cause there is ink in the slit. >>

1/1
    I'm interested in the Luis Tiant And Bill Lee auto from the set if anyone wants to trade

thanks

<< <i>I'm seven boxes into my case, and unless I get hot the tears are going to start flowing haha...I probably have at least 5 base sets and almost all of the insert/sp sets, I am probably missing a couple.

Autos So Far

Ray Lankford X 2
    Bake McBride
    Al Oliver
    Bill Buckner
    Amos Otis
    Luis Tiant
    Mike Scott
    Chili Davis
    Cecil Cooper
    Dick Groat
    Jack Clark
    Bill Madlock

Off the top of my head I can't remember the 14th one, but it's another one not to get excited about. Holy hell I hope I pull some big hit out of these final 3 boxes. >>

There is a big one in there. Most cases I have seen have 1-2 nice autographs.
  • GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I absolutely love this stuff. 7 boxes into my case break and I'm ready for a second case. Fun, fun rip in my opinion. And this helps of course...