Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2012 Topps Archives Thread

This product looks loaded.

Product Info Link

Checklist Link

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
- 2 Fan Favorites Autographs Per Hobby Box!
- 1956 Topps Relic Cards featuring 55 players on the classic 1956 design
- Inserts include 1967 Topps Stickers, 1968 Topps 3D, 1969 Topps Deckle Edge, 1977 Topps Cloth, Topps Reprints & Insert Printing Plates
- Base Cards featuring Retired Stars, Veterans and Top Rookies on the 1954, 1971, 1980 and 1984 designs

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

200 BASE CARDS
- Featuring Retired Stars, Veterans and Top Rookies on the 1954, 1971, 1980 and 1984 designs. Also includes 40 Fan Favorites High-Numbered short prints found 1:4 packs.

Parallels
- Archives Gold parallel. (1:12)
- Base Card Printing Plates 1 of 1 HOBBY ONLY

Fan Favorites Autographs
- The beloved Fan Favorites Autographs are back! These on-card beauties feature baseball's truly Fan Favorites such as Dave Kingman, Andy Van Slyke and Will Clark on designs from their era, but with an all-new photo. There are up to 75 different players in all!

Topps Autographed Originals
- 10 retired stars sign their original Topps card. Sequentially #'d to 5. HOBBY ONLY

Framed Autographed 1983 Minis
- 25 players sign mini versions of 1983 Topps #'d to 25. HOBBY ONLY

1956 Topps Relic Cards
- Featuring 55 players on the classic 1956 design.

INSERTS
Before the insert card craze of the 1990s, Topps was experimenting and testing new technologies 30 years prior. Topps pays tribute to 4 classic insert sets featuring active and retired stars.
- 1967 Topps Stickers (25 subjects) (1:8)
- 1968 Topps 3D (15 subjects) (1:8)
- 1969 Topps Deckle Edge (15 subjects) (1:12)
- 1977 Topps Cloth (25 subjects) (1:6)
- Topps Reprints 50 different cards featuring Hall Of Fames on classic Topps Reprints (1:4)
- Insert Printing Plates (130 subjects) (1 of 1) HOBBY ONLY

Topps is not only going out onto the secondary market and buying back unopened packs for this special release, but it's opening the door to its Vault to offer collectors unique and one of a kind items!

Topps Originals
- Topps buybacks foil stamped with the Archives logo.

Topps Originals Redemption
- 100 redemptions good for for an original vintage pack, set or card!

Topps Vault Redemption
- 20 redemptions good for items from our Vault!

Comments

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Those look pretty cool. Im curious what they will cost?
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Looks like pre-sale on Hobby is about $90/box.

I probably won't buy many packs, but I'll buy the 77 Cloth subset.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • I would like to see the entire 161-200 portion of the checklist. I've always liked adding these to my Braves teamset collection.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I wonder what all the valut redemptions are? I have been waiting for Topps to do this for awhile. Instead of cut up a jersey into 1,000 pieces, give away the entire jersey. I know of 2 uncut sheets 1968 and 1971 and Mantle Woolworth signed contract.

<< <i>I wonder what all the valut redemptions are? I have been waiting for Topps to do this for awhile. Instead of cut up a jersey into 1,000 pieces, give away the entire jersey. I know of 2 uncut sheets 1968 and 1971 and Mantle Woolworth signed contract. >>

NVM answered my own question, its on the checklist.

Topps Vault Items

1985 Topps Woolworth's Willie Mays Autograph Contract
    1985 Topps Woolworth's Ted Williams Autograph Contract
    1985 Topps Woolworth's Mickey Mantle Autograph Contract
    1991 Topps Nolan Ryan Autograph Contract Extension
    1981 Topps Mike Schmidt Autograph Contract Extension
    1953 Tommy LaSorda Autograph Contract Extension
    1953 Tommy Ladorda Autograph Cancelled Check
    1968 Topps Un-Cut Half Proof Sheet With Nolan Ryan RC Card
    1979 Topps Un-Cut Finished Full Sheet With Ozzie Smith RC Card
    1971 Topps Un-Cut Finished Full Sheet
    1978 Topps Un-Cut Finished Full Sheet
    1975 Topps Un-Cut Half Proof Sheet
    1975 Topps Un-Cut Half Proof Sheet
    1983 Topps Un-Cut Half Proof Sheet
    1970 Topps Display Box Proof Sheet
    1964 Topps Stand-Up #1 Hank Aaron
    1970 Topps Super Set Baseball Binder
    Unpublished Topps Chicle Original Art
  • Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Only hope Topps uses the original card stock, and not the ultra thin.

Also keeps the card backs the same, I was excited for lineage last year but disappointed once I started opening a few packs. (the backs had no stats)

Look promising.....

<< <i>Only hope Topps uses the original card stock, and not the ultra thin.

Also keeps the card backs the same, I was excited for lineage last year but disappointed once I started opening a few packs. (the backs had no stats)

Look promising..... >>

I am hoping for the original card stock too. Just like Topps All Time Fan Favorites.

I must have

Before the insert card craze of the 1990s, Topps was experimenting and testing new technologies 30 years prior. Topps pays tribute to 4 classic
    insert sets featuring active and retired stars.

Interesting promotion, considering they were a big part of the "insert card craze", and this set has about 15 inserts.....
  • GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    So cool...can't wait to open this stuff!

<< <i>So cool...can't wait to open this stuff! >>

Me too. I went through my dupes and autos of 2004 and 2005 Topps ATFF and it brought back alot of good memories. Good oncard autos too! I love my Sy Berger auto as well as Eric Gregg too.
  • I haven't ripped a case in many a year but this one looks fun!
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I like this stuff. Whay are all the Topps hits retro? That black border 1971 Pujols will be tuff for a PSA 10. I like it, looks great.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets

<< <i>I like this stuff. Whay are all the Topps hits retro? That black border 1971 Pujols will be tuff for a PSA 10. I like it, looks great. >>

Because most of Topps high dollar stuff is so bland (Exclude 2012 Tripple Threads)
    Wonder if Topps will do an Archive set for Football. I have been looking for some packs to open in the fall.

It seemed like the tried the retro football just on and off.
    More cool stuff from archives. Check out the oversized Jr. hand print card. Not sure about the Karate Kid. Cant believe they got Harper into the product in such a short amount of time.

More from Archives

Check the set break down and auto list. Some heavy hitters in this one. Getting very excited.

2012 Topps Archives Baseball Checklist

Also on Topps twitter page they are adding in even more contracts.
    I agree these look pretty cool. I'm not that familar with the Archive Sets. Do the base cards look and feel like the originals, with the same backs and card stock?

$80-90 per box with two autos doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully retail hits the stores on Wednesday as well.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is breaking boxes/cases, I'll be looking for multiple copies of the Butler auto. My plan is to take them down to Fresno the next time the Reno Aces are in town and have him add a different inscription to a few of 'em - create my own parallels.

<< <i>I agree these look pretty cool. I'm not that familar with the Archive Sets. Do the base cards look and feel like the originals, with the same backs and card stock?

$80-90 per box with two autos doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully retail hits the stores on Wednesday as well. >>

I am wondering about the quality of these as well. I was organizing recently and came across 2004 and 2005 Topps All Time Fan Favorites dupes. That was a great card stock, much better compared to this years Topps Heritage for instance.

Just wondering how many boxes to complete the base set. I think some of the insert sets could be tough.
    The high number SPs will make the base set tougher.

They always need to get everyone to buy more. If you get 6 SPs per box (hobby) you need at least 7 boxes (2 dupes).

That is the best case- 40 out of the 160 are SPs.

$870 a case (of ten) for a 160 card set, that is a tough one to justify....

Especially at best you could get one complete set (if I'm reading the numbers right)

Also interesting that they showcase a '65 Mays buyback Auto, but on the Facebook link it a 90's Frank Robinson manager card (not as cool).... along with Karate Kid cards ???? where did they come from....

Gary Carter - 1975 (Sticker auto)

Like Heritage, nearly every hobby pack should have an SP or insert. And these inserts look a lot more interesting than "Then and Now" or "Flashbacks".

Wonder why on the uncut sheet, the 1971 cards are blue...

<< <i>Wonder why on the uncut sheet, the 1971 cards are blue... >>

Noticed that too. Well I think I am going to start with 3 boxes and see if the price drops in a few weeks. Of course I am sure I will be buying the occasional blaster. FCB looks like there are some collectors that are going after it so hopefully trades will be a plenty.
    I learned yesterday that I won a box of this from a contest that Topps ran on Facebook. Responders were asked to share about their favorite "classic" Topps card in their collection. My entry gave some details about the day my '55 Koufax showed up.

Pretty stoked to get some of this product.

<< <i>I learned yesterday that I won a box of this from a contest that Topps ran on Facebook. Responders were asked to share about their favorite "classic" Topps card in their collection. My entry gave some details about the day my '55 Koufax showed up.

Pretty stoked to get some of this product. >>

Congrats! Send me your hits image
  • Has anyone bought any of this yet? My local walmart had blasters and packs on Saturday night, but I didn't pick any up since I don't do a lot of baseball. I might grab a blaster of it at lunch today if I get the itch to rip something.

<< <i>Has anyone bought any of this yet? My local walmart had blasters and packs on Saturday night, but I didn't pick any up since I don't do a lot of baseball. I might grab a blaster of it at lunch today if I get the itch to rip something. >>

Wow thats a very early sighting, thanks for the heads up.

Also feel free to share you pickups image
    Thirteen hundred seems a little steep.....
    This auction is for a single Autographed card from the 2012 Panini Century Collection set of Yu Darvish. It is not serial numbered. The odds of pulling this card in retail is 1:32,850 packs! Very rare card!!

Now this is confusing....

OK, the set is 240 cards, they are not listing the whole set or the 40 SPs, I thought the set was the 160, I guess I'm not reading close enough.
    so it appears that Butler is in the high-numbered Fan Favorites part of the set (201-240). However, those high numbers do not have foil variations or printing plates - I went from a "woo-hoo!" feeling to feeling somewhat bummed.

<< <i>so it appears that Butler is in the high-numbered Fan Favorites part of the set (201-240). However, those high numbers do not have foil variations or printing plates - I went from a "woo-hoo!" feeling to feeling somewhat bummed. >>

Here you go Butler Auto
    thanks, Cory - I saw that same auction around 15 minutes ago. I've got it on my watchlist, but most likely won't be going after it. It's the first one out - I'll wait for the prices to come down.

edit: someone hit the BIN
    They are already selling hot packs and I haven't even seen a pack out yet????

2012 Archives Topps Hot Pack Auto/Jersey/Relic 1956/Fan Favorites/Yu Darvish?

You are bidding on an unopened HOT pack of 2012 Topps Archives. This pack is guaranteed to have an Autograph or a jersey/relic insert card. You will pull either a Fan Favorites Autograph, Yu Darvish Autograph, or a 1956 Topps Relic. Also look for Topps Originals Buyback, Topps Originals Redemption, Topps Vault Redemption, 1958 Classics Combos, 1982 in Action, and more in the same pack. All packs are still factory sealed and never opened.

Order today and don't delay. Put your bid in now so that you don’t miss this great item! Bid early and bid often.

Thanks and good luck,
    Tivoli Sniagrab

This one is only $6.17, all packs are still factory sealed and never opened.....but this one has the golden ticket in it.....I just get a laugh out of that everytime.
  • I ended up buying 2 blasters, 3 retail packs, and a rack pack...It's a cool set I like it. I am going to pick up a couple hobby boxes tomorrow and see what I get. My best pull so far was a Brian Wilson relic card, nothing special just your ordinary run of the mill jersey card. I do like the inserts though, the 77 Cloth and the Deckle Edge are really cool.

<< <i>They are already selling hot packs and I haven't even seen a pack out yet????

2012 Archives Topps Hot Pack Auto/Jersey/Relic 1956/Fan Favorites/Yu Darvish?

You are bidding on an unopened HOT pack of 2012 Topps Archives. This pack is guaranteed to have an Autograph or a jersey/relic insert card. You will pull either a Fan Favorites Autograph, Yu Darvish Autograph, or a 1956 Topps Relic. Also look for Topps Originals Buyback, Topps Originals Redemption, Topps Vault Redemption, 1958 Classics Combos, 1982 in Action, and more in the same pack. All packs are still factory sealed and never opened.

Order today and don't delay. Put your bid in now so that you don’t miss this great item! Bid early and bid often.

Thanks and good luck,
    Tivoli Sniagrab

This one is only $6.17, all packs are still factory sealed and never opened.....but this one has the golden ticket in it.....I just get a laugh out of that everytime. >>

I see alot of those too. I bet it was the jerk I saw at Walmart feeling all the packs up like a virgin on prom night. I dont say anything but he was wrecking all the hanging packs pinching the sides of each one.

My boxes should be here on Thursday if anyone is up for trading.
  • PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    I'm looking for Catfish Hunter cards from this set.
    Topps did a great job with the reproduction features.... however they printed them on the ultra thin stock, which was what I was hoping against.

I guess just Heritage has the look AND the feel of the old cards.

Other than that, they are pretty cool

<< <i>Some early ink on ebay. I dont get my boxes until Thursday.

2012 Topps Archives Yu Darvish Fan Favorites Auto RARE SP >>

The BIN hit on this one. I cant believe how some people jump on the first auto out of the gate when you know the prices will drop. One more day until I get to rip some. Cant wait!

<< <i>

<< <i>Some early ink on ebay. I dont get my boxes until Thursday.

2012 Topps Archives Yu Darvish Fan Favorites Auto RARE SP >>

The BIN hit on this one. I cant believe how some people jump on the first auto out of the gate when you know the prices will drop. One more day until I get to rip some. Cant wait! >>

It looked like there was one bid that was declined.....but I haven't purchased anything off ebay so I'm not that proficient on the process.

There is no way someone paid that for that............is there ???

<< <i>I love the 66 design. This card is sweet.

1966 Bobby Richardson

This Willie too!

1966 Willie >>

Yeah...I do also, the next few years for Heritage are getting into my favorite designs....just hope Topps doesn't decide to F it up.
    So the hobby only stuff is just the crazy 1 of 1, 1 of 5 and 1 of 25 cards?

Everything else can be found in retail, does a retail box contain 2 autos as well?

Just wondering if hobby is a better buy.
  • WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    the easiest autos to pull in retail are 1:138 packs. If you want to pull ink stay away from retail.
    Thanks...what a difference from 1 in 12.

I guess that explains the premium on the hobby boxes. Wonder what shop owners are charging per pack?
  • WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    There's the thing, there isn't a premium on hobby boxes. 40 dollars roughly gets you half a hobby box and with it one autograph. You would have to spend 288 dollars
    on retail to guarantee you and auto there. Topps has made the autograph odds VERY tough on their last two retail sets. Almost to the point of laughing in your face
    the value is so low.

Retail boxes are for guys who can't wait and must open product now. Hobby is the only way to go if you have that option or it isn't midnight and you need a fix.

I was looking at a per pack price, retail is at best, is it, $2.50 for a blaster, maybe $3.18 (I think for a normal pack)

At $85 a box (current best price on-line(?)), its $3.54 per pack

Walk into a hobby store, which I haven't in a while, I would guess they might be trying to squeeze $95- $100 per box.

About $4.00 a pack

I guess also they assign value to the box loader.

Just to get a bunch of cards with the remote chance of an auto isn't very appealing. I have leaned towards hobby mainly because they tend to be consistent.

<< <i>I was looking at a per pack price, retail is at best, is it, $2.50 for a blaster, maybe $3.18 (I think for a normal pack)

At $85 a box (current best price on-line(?)), its $3.54 per pack

Walk into a hobby store, which I haven't in a while, I would guess they might be trying to squeeze $95- $100 per box.

About $4.00 a pack

I guess also they assign value to the box loader.

Just to get a bunch of cards with the remote chance of an auto isn't very appealing. I have leaned towards hobby mainly because they tend to be consistent. >>

I agree. I was the guy that goes to Target and buys 5 blasters when Heritage pops only to kick myself just a few days later when hobby comes. I stopped doing that. I can take that money and put into a hobby box that I know will contain some auto's.

As far as retail boxes go (Not blasters) I think the hits are few and far between.
    Two boxes into a case break with Joe (josephcb09).

Loving the deckle edge, cloth and 3D cards. Really, really nice looking.

The autos this far: Cleon Jones, Jack McDowell, Jim Wynn and...

To say Joe is stoked would be an understatement. As soon as he saw the card slide from the pack I was opening he took a tour around his living room pumping his fist. I mean, how often do you open product and pull one of the cards you really wanted for your own collection? Very cool