Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hannes Tulving Slabs

I just picked up this odd group of Franklins, paid about $80 for the lot. I'm not familiar with these Hannes Tulving slabs, but I figured I couldn't go wrong for the price.

Can someone enlighten me about the Tulving slabs? I'm assuming these are pre-PCGS. Should I keep these in the old slabs or crack 'em?

"Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."

Comments

• Options
    ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Link

Tulving was a bullion dealer not so long ago (2000-2005) if I remember. Can't comment on the slabs as I know nothing......NOTHING about them. Looks as if you got a good deal, though.

Editied for LINK
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Hannes Tulving Co. is still around. They were a major market maker in the 2000-2007 market runnup. They were noted to be one of PCGS best customers submitting thousands of coins every week for the modern market. I don't know their market share today since Hannes had a stroke a few years back.

Hannes Tulving created their own slab in the mid 1980's and into the early 1990's. They issued their own private buy/sell sheet for their slabbed coins. By today's standards, many of the Hannes slabs were graded conservatively and often grade higher when submitted to PCGS or NGC.

TRUTH
  • Options
    They are still active in the bullion market. I am not aware of them dealing anything but bullion currently, but I could be wrong.

merse

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Thruth's got it right. You did well getting all these for ~ $80.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I have several 1964 proof Kennedys in those slabs, and every one of them is graded PR64 just like those Frankies.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    So you paid less than melt? Seems like you can't really go wrong there.

I have a whole box of Tulving slabs, a constant reminder of my poor judgment of years ago. Maybe slab collectors down the road will bail me out. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These slabs come around every so often, but not as much as a few years ago. For a "self-slabber" the coins seemed to be accurately graded at the time they were slabbed. The hard part is finding slabs where the label is not damaged or the price has not been marked through.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am coming in late, but thought I would post my Tulving "slab". More like an early David Hall flip - sonically sealed and the coin is in a Cointain to protect it from the PVC.

imageimage

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would crack them and either put them in my own holder (with my grade and price) or submit them. Looks like you got a nice deal on them as they melt for 11.52 each or 92.13 for the group. Cant tell much from the lighting in the photo but I would wager many of them may be better than just PF 64.

Thanks for sharing - looks like a nice group of Franklin Proofs!
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Tulving was a major market maker in the 90's. After his consent decree with the Feds he paid a fine, and was supposed to pay back around $10,000,000 that he defrauded customers out of. These look from that time period although I am surprised they were graded so low. He declared bancruptcy after agreeing to the settlement to get rid of another $40 mill or so in civil suits.

He now runs a bullion business where you wire him money and then he will ship you bullion. image

Really, you can't make this stuff up.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-16/business/fi-266_1_coin-dealers
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of these. They are quite easy to "crack out". Just push those little tabs.

The Morgan I sent in was Tulving 61, PCGS saw it at 64. I may not crack any more because they are cool little slabs.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-ups. I'd leave them
    alone !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the 1961 proof half dollars to see if any of them are the valuable Double Die Reverse Variety [there are multiple varieties of 1961 DDR proof half dollars, one of which is very valuable].
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hannes Tulving Co. is still around. They were a major market maker in the 2000-2007 market runnup. They were noted to be one of PCGS best customers submitting thousands of coins every week for the modern market. I don't know their market share today since Hannes had a stroke a few years back.

Hannes Tulving created their own slab in the mid 1980's and into the early 1990's. They issued their own private buy/sell sheet for their slabbed coins. By today's standards, many of the Hannes slabs were graded conservatively and often grade higher when submitted to PCGS or NGC.

TRUTH >>

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I remember them as being a big fish in the early bullion run-up of 1979-1980. They were part of the first large group which tried to market generic Unc. coins - especially Morgan Dollars - to investors.

This was right around the time I got my GSA CC $s from the Mint, and I learned long before this not to trust entities to correctly grade the product which they were selling.

I don't know about Truth's comments re the grading of their own coins in the mid-1980s. But I am curious as to whether I am correct in my comments here and furthermore, whether such Morgans, which I think were sold in the thousands, were correctly graded.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tulving was a major market maker in the 90's. After his consent decree with the Feds he paid a fine, and was supposed to pay back around $10,000,000 that he defrauded customers out of. These look from that time period although I am surprised they were graded so low. He declared bancruptcy after agreeing to the settlement to get rid of another $40 mill or so in civil suits.

He now runs a bullion business where you wire him money and then he will ship you bullion. image

Really, you can't make this stuff up.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-16/business/fi-266_1_coin-dealers >>

his coin business went belly up in 1991, but his bullion business is thriving and has a great reputation for service and quantity bullion at great prices. I buy all of my quantity from them and highly recommend them to the quantity buyers.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them are different and it looks good on the pick ups you got there image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file