Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

86 Police Marino PSA 10...1/1.... What is it worth?

Just curious what you guys think I should ask for this Marino. Only two 9's
Thanks

Link to Actual Auction
Skips PSA Exchange
Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
Tony Dorsett Master Set
1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    You could put it up for auction and see what is's really worth image
    $200 obo?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the card fits in the holder so why the mylar? I wish they
    would try and fix it...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    As a potential buyer, I would do my homework. I like police issues. I get satisfaction out of showing collectors, family and friends a card they didn't know existed. I like the 1984 Dan Marino Police RC. In PSA 10 it goes for about $65-$85 and there are pop 176 in 10. I have a few and get a kick at showing them to fish fans and make their eyes pop open wide. Actually the 176 in 10 is less than the Topps issue. But the Topps issue has a ton more overall graded. 16,000+ graded! Not exactly rare lol, but gives testiment to the strength of this industry as that topps Marino rc card in any condition will always find a buyer. Probably a lot submitted the 1984 police Marino because it is his rookie card year. The problem for a buyer of your 1986 card is, is the card truly rare, or is it that not many people have had a huge interest so not too many submitted their cards yet. My gut says probably production was similar in 1986 to 1984 of Miami Police cards. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to give you perspective. I hope the PSA Encyclopedia will shed light on some of these more obscure issues and bring them to the fore-front. Most vintage oddball stuff has been outed already and you can see them in the pop report. But I hope the encyclopedia shows some love for rarer issues of the 70,s and 80's such as Minor League, police and regional issues for all sports. I think that is where one finds the stuff that would be considered rare down the line. Most pop numbers of 1973 and older are not going to change drastically. But the jury is still out on newer stuff and a collector may need to be more astute and use tools like the PSA pop report and encyclopedia to weed them out and find them. Again, the fact that a 1990 OPC Premier Jagr RC with over 1,000 in PSA 10 and probably another 1,000 in 10 potentially exist in sets, factory and unopened wax and yet they still sell in the $40 range is a testiment to the strength of the industry. My holy grail is to find a 1983 Canadian National Juniors Mario Lemieux Pre-RC in PSA 10. None exist. It's hard with the large size, tight set shrink wrapping and the red borders that show everything. I'm trying to get the first but probably down the road if that issue ever heats up, more will submit there could end up being a dozen in PSA 10. There's one in PSA 9 for $500 on ebay now. It's 1 of 8 in PSA 9. It's a crapshoot. Buy it and then a dozen 10's come out with 50 more 9's over the next decade and it remains at best,in the $500 range. Buy it and no 10's ever come out and only a few more 9's, it could be a $5,000 card someday if that set ever gets it's true due with the first Lemieux, Yzerman and Vernon as well as a second card of future HOF'er Dave Andreychuk (I consider his 1980 Oshawa PLAY, his true RC.) Did ya know that existed? :-) Good luck and I hope you get what you ask for it.
  • Options
    You'll have to test the market. $200 BIN is way to low IMO. Put a crazy BIN on it, and see what the offers are over a few weeks or one month span. Then lower the BIN to 20% or so above the best offer you received.

Hope that helps, and if you really aren't concerned then 10 day auction tonight!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what the card might be worth, but I agree a $200 is too low considering it's a 1-of-1. Crazy high BIN with best offers option is the best way to go.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    1986 5 Dan Marino Football Police PSA 8 eBay 1 Bid $9.99 2012-01-17

This is the only data I see on any of the 1986 Police with Dan Marino. A pop 1 PSA 10 will always command a premium, but how much premium is dictated by demand and interest.

The above is taken from SlabbedCardPrices.com. Subscribe for free during April.

Keep in mind the site is going through extensive indexing this month. But I will update all Police card data by the end of the day.

Jeff
    In the big inning...
    Genesis 1:1
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Alright, I'll try that. I put what I consider a crazy amount on it. When it doesn't sell, I'll list it in an auction with a low starting bid. Any offers will give me an idea.
    Thanks for your insights.
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a potential buyer, I would do my homework. I like police issues. I get satisfaction out of showing collectors, family and friends a card they didn't know existed. I like the 1984 Dan Marino Police RC. In PSA 10 it goes for about $65-$85 and there are pop 176 in 10. I have a few and get a kick at showing them to fish fans and make their eyes pop open wide. Actually the 176 in 10 is less than the Topps issue. But the Topps issue has a ton more overall graded. 16,000+ graded! Not exactly rare lol, but gives testiment to the strength of this industry as that topps Marino rc card in any condition will always find a buyer. Probably a lot submitted the 1984 police Marino because it is his rookie card year. The problem for a buyer of your 1986 card is, is the card truly rare, or is it that not many people have had a huge interest so not too many submitted their cards yet. My gut says probably production was similar in 1986 to 1984 of Miami Police cards. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to give you perspective. I hope the PSA Encyclopedia will shed light on some of these more obscure issues and bring them to the fore-front. Most vintage oddball stuff has been outed already and you can see them in the pop report. But I hope the encyclopedia shows some love for rarer issues of the 70,s and 80's such as Minor League, police and regional issues for all sports. I think that is where one finds the stuff that would be considered rare down the line. Most pop numbers of 1973 and older are not going to change drastically. But the jury is still out on newer stuff and a collector may need to be more astute and use tools like the PSA pop report and encyclopedia to weed them out and find them. Again, the fact that a 1990 OPC Premier Jagr RC with over 1,000 in PSA 10 and probably another 1,000 in 10 potentially exist in sets, factory and unopened wax and yet they still sell in the $40 range is a testiment to the strength of the industry. My holy grail is to find a 1983 Canadian National Juniors Mario Lemieux Pre-RC in PSA 10. None exist. It's hard with the large size, tight set shrink wrapping and the red borders that show everything. I'm trying to get the first but probably down the road if that issue ever heats up, more will submit there could end up being a dozen in PSA 10. There's one in PSA 9 for $500 on ebay now. It's 1 of 8 in PSA 9. It's a crapshoot. Buy it and then a dozen 10's come out with 50 more 9's over the next decade and it remains at best,in the $500 range. Buy it and no 10's ever come out and only a few more 9's, it could be a $5,000 card someday if that set ever gets it's true due with the first Lemieux, Yzerman and Vernon as well as a second card of future HOF'er Dave Andreychuk (I consider his 1980 Oshawa PLAY, his true RC.) Did ya know that existed? :-) Good luck and I hope you get what you ask for it. >>

I'm not a hockey guy, but I found this pretty interesting. MinorLeaguer, it looks like you're relatively new here (or at least don't post much). I'd love to see some scans and stories behind some of these rarer hockey sets.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Do not put it in an auction with a low starting bid. You run the risk of having only 1 serious bidder.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    ajw, thanks for the kind words. I Just started getting back into cards after being out of it for about 8 years. My background, I'm 42 and into mostly into Baseball, Hockey and Football. Maybe I'll collect a Bird or Magic Johnson card. It's just that I never got into basketball. Anyway, 1989-1994 I used to go to shows and shops in the greater NYC area. Yes I got suckered into a lot of wax and racks in the 1987-1991 massive overproduced era. of course I was just outta college and broke so looking back maybe I spent $750 total on wax and racks of that era. I always went back to 70's stuff that my older brother and i used to rip and play with as kids. Early 1990's was pre-grading times. I did not have the purse strings to buy Mays, Mantle, Ruth, Clemente, etc. But a 1974 Rollie Fingers (or insert Jim Rice, Robin Yount, Tony Oliva, Gary Carter, Don Sutton, etc.) that seemed Mint to my eyes for $1 to $4 sounded good to me. I would take my time and go thru boxes and display cases and look at edges and corners. In hindsight, I wish I looked at surface and centering too, but cest la vie. So I'd buy 10 of those 70's stars for $1 to $5 of now HOF'ers every weekend. Then when I made a little more money, I got into $20 or so cards from the mid to late 60's and even a few lighter stars from the early 60's like Nellie Fox or Luis Aparicio. I got lucky as I when I had my stash graded, I picked up a bunch of 9's from the mid to late 60's to mid 70's including some high number HOF's. When overproduction came into play, I saw the writing on the wall and decided to stop the new stuff and kept buying what i liked and also went for stuff that wasn't at every dealer table, like minor league cards. Everyone wanted 1989 Randy Johnson. I balked and said, look at this 1986 Randy Johnson Minor League card. No dealer has them. I have a handfull of them. And other minor league cards that are still cheap. eBay and the internet were just coming alive and a lot of our friends north of the boarder were able to now interact with their neighbors to the south. For those who do not know, a 1985 Topps Mario Lemieux #9 mint RC has been exactly $150 for more than 20 years now. The needle is stuck on that figure. Always demand but a lot of supply. I wanted different stuff that i didnt see everywhere so i searched on eBay and I saw hockey product that none of the dealers at the shows had. first thing I bought was a 1984 7/11 Slurpee Disc set from canada. Has an Yzerman RC in it. I think I paid $20 + ship way back then. Then I bought a few 1982 Post hockey sets for probably $20 each. A few 1980 OPC Super sets with a 2nd year Gretzky for next to nothing. I also found it easier to get minor league sets as well on eBay. Although Im from NYC, I fell in love with the Sabres when I went to college in Buffalo so I found the 1980 PLAY Oshawa Dave Andreychuk on eBay. It's a tall card. There is a pre rookie card of Al Macinnis on the Kitchner Rangers from 1983-ish and a 1985 London Knights Brendan Shanahan Card as well. These were both PLAY cards (Play is an acronym for something like Police and Youth). But they don't get a lot of interest because many dont know they exist. yet when you show them to a hockey fan, their eyes get wide! Then I found the 1983 Canadian National Junior Set. It's Lemieux and Yzerman's first image on cardboard. But the cards are almost post-card size. I love that set and have a few loose sets and singles in addition to a few never opened sets. I actually have the only 2 cards ever graded PSA 10 for that set. They're commons but it is so tough to get them in that grade. Some stuff is quite rare while others are not rare: The 1976 Cranes/Isaly/Coca Cola discs for baseball and football, even have a Walter Payton RC but they are unfortunately plentiful. Same with the 1984 Slurpee Discs of Marino and Elway. Did you know that the first card of Elway is a 1982 TCMA Minor League baseball card? Danny Ainge is similar...Some minor league set from the mid to late 70's is his first card. He has a regular issue Topps baseball card as well. Rickey Henderson has a 1977 and a 1979 minor league card as well. You should know about the 1980 Ripken and Sandberg cards. Look at the pop report in PSA. The Hawaii Islander tony Gwynn pre-RC minor league is quite rare as well. The 1989 Oscar Meyer police RC of Barry Sanders unfortunately was way overproduced as well. For those in the Washington DC area or Notre Dame fans, I think the 1971 OPC CFL Joe Theisman RC is somewhat rare, especially in high grade. Rarer is there is a sticker book from that year, by the brand "Seargent". Only one 1971 Theisman Seargant sticker ever graded and raw they don't come up on ebay too often. There is a 1972 theisman card and sticker as well. I think that these could be rare cards for down the road. They aren't expensive now either. The juicers killed what could have been a great thing: 1986 Procards. They were never issued as a complete set, but as team sets at each local ballpark. Some are plentiful. Some are Rare. Im guessing AAA would be more plentiful than Class A sets. Thus, the Johnson and Schilling were lightly produced. The Maddux quite a bit more. But there is Palmeiro, Smoltz, Glavine, Alou, edgar martinez and quite a few first cards of possible HOF'ers in those procard sets. But use the pop report to compare apples to apples with regards to scarceness. Even the 7th inning sketch Brodeur #222 could increase. I have a suspicion it may be an SP as I ripped a lot of boxes and either I have bad luck but in about 12 boxes, I got about 40 Felix Potvin's but only 5 Brodeurs. The 1990 QLMJH boxes are around and cheap at about $9 each. Another sleeper from 7th inning sketch that 1990 year is in the OHL and WHL sets and boxes is they each have a pre-rc Scott Niedermayer and he will be HOF as well. I also like the 1988 IHL/AHL Procards Ed Belfour. Rediculously cheap for a HOF first ballot first card. Same for the 1990 Procards IHL/AHL Hasek. He has a 1991 Indianapolis Ice as well. A couple bucks each? Looks like history repeating. Take out Patrick Roy and Brodeur, hasek and Belfour may have been the best 3 netminders over the last 30 years. If you are too young, just look at any videos of the 1994 1st round playoff series of Devils/Sabres. I'm biased, but I thought that was the best series ever, even given that my team lost in 7! My suggestion is to search in ebay. These things all come up here or there. Or search under completed items as well. Unfortunately, these things dont come up in the price guide and many times not in the pop report, but they do in the master compilation list in the registry. Look at "set compilation" for a master set by player. Also, go year by year in the pop report by each sport. You'll see sets like Esso sets, McDonalds issues, etc. Have a gander, you might like what you find. Hope that wasn't too much rambling :-)
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that the War and Peace transcript? image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I stopped after the first line.

Anyway to the Marino, $.99 auction no reserve... I've never been disappointed.
  • Options
    Just a slow day at the office and using this to get me to 5pm. lol.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    $70

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I had two offers, one that nice.
    Long story short I listed it as an auction, well less than half of the best offer. Hopefully it fines a happy home.

Link to the actual auction......
    Skips PSA Exchange

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
  • Options

<< <i>Just wanted to let you guys know that I had two offers, one that nice.
    Long story short I listed it as an auction, well less than half of the best offer. Hopefully it fines a happy home.

Link to the actual auction...... >>

Good luck.