Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Obscure Non-Signers

Anybody Collect the 1972 and 1973 Dolphins ,Forget Jake Scott and Larry Csonka the real tough autograph is Linebacker Doug Swift. I have tried this guy 3 Times and nothing. He isn't even at the Shows like the Collectors Showcase Show. I have been trying to get a 1973 Topps Doug Swift for a Couple Years now. I lost out on one Ebay.

I also collect the Buffalo Bills the hardest guy to get for me is Dave Behrman. I sent 1964 Topps and 1966 Topps to his addresses in Michigan twice the second time with $10 and nothing. He is the only living one from the 1964 Topps Bills I don't have. The 1964 Topps Bills sent is almost impossible because John Tracey died in the 1970's , Tom Sestak in 1980's, and Sid Youngelman in 1990's plus you got Jack Kemp and the Nearly Impossible Cookie Gilchrist. I have never seen a 1964 Topps Cookie Gilchrist signed. I do own a 1965 Topps Gilchrist with Denver it is one of the lightest signatures in my collection.

Dave Behrman and Doug Swift are the Pain in the Butt Non-Signers and neither one was a great player let alone a semistar. Can anybody think of other obscure non-signers.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Send Shawn (scashaggy) a PM. In addition to being the resident "Ali" auto expert, he collects autographed Dolphins cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I have twice sent to Walt Sweeney and both times nothing back.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I don't know if he posts anymore, but AFLfan had tons of signed AFL cards. He almost had the complete Topps run if I recall.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if he posts anymore, but AFLfan had tons of signed AFL cards. He almost had the complete Topps run if I recall. >>

I have not seen Todd on these boards in over 1.5 years.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Todd's around, had dinner with him a few months ago. I"ll send him a link to this thread.
    He's got an amazing collection of signed cards.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys...

Thanks for the heads up, Griffins.

I only collect AFL-era stuff, so unfortunately I can't comment on your Dolphins. As for the '64Bills, Behrman is definitely the toughest of the still-living members to get. I have his singed '66 Topps card that I got in a trade with another collector, but not the '64. Behrman only signed "DB" on the card, and the collector that I got it from said that he repeatedly called Behrman on the phone to get him to sign the two '66s that he sent. I am also missing the '64 Youngelman, but I have the others - Sestak, Tracey, Kemp, Gilchrist, etc. I got my '64 Gilchrist done in the last signing that Cookie ever did. his more recent signature is very different from his vintage signature. I have all of the Gilchrist cards signed, and have him on a few other items as well.

Walt Sweeney is a very nice person, but it quite flaky. Not sure what address you sent to, but he is no longer at the Lake Tahoe address. Walt's wife passed away last week after years of MS and a more recent battle with cancer. He will understandably be dissheveled for a while, but I am sure will be back to signing in a while. I could probably help you out with him, in fact.

I collect autographed AFL card sets from the 1960s, and I am down to needing about 60 cards to be complete for the decade. Of the still-living players, I still need Don Allen (1960 Fleer), Dave Behrman (1964 Topps), Sid Blanks (1966 Topps), Ronnie Cain (1960 Fleer), George Fleming (1962 Fleer), Jim Harris (1967 Topps, Charlie Jackson (1960 Fleer), Marv Lasater (1960 Fleer, Richie Lucas (1960 Fleer), Eddie Macon (1961 Topps), Buddy Mayfield (1960 Fleer), John Sklopan (1964 Topps), James Smith (1961 Fleer), Jeff Ware (1964 Topps) and Jack Work (1960 Fleer). I'm not positive that Cain, Jackson, Lasater, Mayfield and Ware are still living, but until I find proof otherwise, I will keep trying to find them.
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I love it-seeing members here help each other out. Way to go.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Todd ... nice to hear from you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys-

I recently posted scans of all of the signed regular issue cards in my AFL collection to my blog, Tales from the American Football Leagu. You can see them here:

Tales from the American Football League

Enjoy!
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    Todd ... PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug