Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonial Connecticut Coin -- Draped Bust? newp

I don't think I've ever posted on the Lightside before.

Can anyone identify this, give their opinion of grade and condition, and maybe a value? I found this in a mixed lot of world coins, and only know that it (purports to be) is a CT coin from 1787.

Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a genuine 1787 Connecticut copper. These are quite hard to attribute in lower grade as the attribution points are very subtle differences between each variety. I will check a reference tonight and try to get an attributed die variety for you. There are over 350 die varieties in total for the series, so in some cases (minus the naked eye major varieties) it can take quite awhile to attribute.

The grade is about G4 net. It does have details of a higher grade, maybe VG, but the surfaces net the grade down a bit. Still, a cool find and a genuine colonial coin made for the state of CT.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Well, look for it on ebay if anyone is interested. I don't collect this sort, so I'll put it out there for the public to determine a value.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    Listed at just 0.99 to start, for any that are interested!
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Connecticuts, especially low grade, are not in my wheelhouse to attribute. However, you never know. I had the finest known Miller 33.39-z.20 on eBay in a lot of three coins and did not know it. It was a good thing that my images were clear and large enough.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool old colonial copper.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Connecticuts, especially low grade, are not in my wheelhouse to attribute. However, you never know. I had the finest known Miller 33.39-z.20 on eBay in a lot of three coins and did not know it. It was a good thing that my images were clear and large enough. >>

Well, the colon-to-cinqfoil relationship on this coin makes it fairly easy to attribute the obverse by plates (QDB Colonial book). And from there I just had to look through five or six reverse dies. But since it's already up for sale, I'm not going to post the attribution.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Fun Find but beautiful?
    Trime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file