Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sellers of fake coins arrested

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
This article was in today's Buffalo News. They mention Amherst which is the town where I teach.

Fake coin sellers arrested.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Good news is the authorities in Amherst are cooperating with the Secret Service with at the least an attempt to prosecute. Normally many jurisdictions refuse to go forward with similar type cases.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    kool
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lock 'em up, throw away the key, and forget about 'em. The world will be a better place.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757
    Great job to the dealer who took the time to help others and call it in.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, no photos of the perps? How else can I make sweeping generalizations?!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it.

But one gets arrested, 2 more will take their place :/
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What, no photos of the perps? How else can I make sweeping generalizations?! >>

Agree. If they were wearing hoodies they must have been victims of profiling. The perps should have sold their coins on eBay where it's unlikely they would have been caught.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article in the paper had photos. It seems these guys have been doing this is other states I would think the FBI might get involved also.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    So, who/whom was/is their supplier?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Hang 'em high!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news article
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    >>According to police records and the Coin World Internet site, Jenkins is under investigation for the sale of counterfeit silver dollars in Alabama, Maryland, West Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Connecticut and New Jersey.<<

Jenkins is "under investigation" in seven states "for the sale of counterfeit silver dollars".

It takes seven states to arrest this guy? The threshold for arrest seems a bit obscure, MHO.

No wonder Chinese fakes are imported. It takes seven states to get arrested.

Perp shoulda stayed in six states. D***A**.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, who/whom was/is their supplier? >>

Probably bought quantities from a supplier in China.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good.
    Some guys think I'm stupid for sending certain coins to PCGS, only to end up in "genuine" holders , but I rather risk my money for the benefit of the hobby than my reputation because of such nonsense in an otherwise enjoyable endeavor.

The last time I got good news from Buffalo was when the police called me after the Secret Service listed me in the interpol trying to find the guy who stole my identification, to say "we got your man". He ruined my credit history and life for 7 years. I still remember (RIP) my parents calling me and asking me why I was charging up jewelry and motel expenses and having the bills sent to their address . image

I just told my dad it wasn't easy being me. Funny, I hadn't left the state but my license was revoked in Ohio. What a mess. I won't mention names because I take threats seriously.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report ajaan. I got a call from a local proprietor of an antique co-op in a nearby suburb of Rochester on Tuesday. He was reporting that he had been scammed for 10 counterfeit Peace dollars that day. Seems too coincidental to not be the same operation.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good.

The perps are so lucky they are here in the wimpy US of A.

If they got caught doing what they did in Saudi, they'd be up for losing their hands - maybe worse.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    this is a perfect example of if it sounds to good to be true it is
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to hear this. And my hat is off to the "Wehrle Drive merchant" who made the effort and turned them in.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news... I hope more victims come forward, it will help with the prosecution. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All business is difficult. Money just happens to be the dirtiest of them to deal with. Who wants to buy a coin shop ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file