Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

peanutbutter

RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok alittle over 2 years ago I came from another site about.com coin with my 70 rolls of Washington Quarters from Mom and Dad. I ran into many who got me hooked on the Type B quarters. I also fell in LOVE with the 1952 Proof Quarter Superbirds. This is when I started a registry set and received alot of help from Modcrewman(Don) in Not only acquiring These coins but learning what to look for. So the recent CherryPickers Guide comes out and I had already heard about the Engraved Tail Feathers but like everyone else without a good picture to reference it was always a fantasy. Now about a month ago while going thru Teletrades auctions I notice this one coin a 1953 Proof 63 with the Engraved Tail Feathers and it has a BEAUTIFUL Picture as a reference.teletrades auction This is another reason Coin Facts needs pictures of all varieties to help those that are searching by giving them a good picture. My hunt began in ernest on that day, two days later I was sure I found the brother to that coin and bought it for the 30 bucks off Ebay. I looked the coin over for days and was just not positive but felt good enough to send in to our hosts. The one on Teletrade was a Proof 63 and sold for 1150.This is only the second coin to be discovered and My grade just posted and here is the Truview Proof 64 Top Pop. Woohoooo I have always felt fortunate to have found this site and to watch,listen and learn. There are many coins still out there to search for and thats what makes it so much fun. But having our Host Verify it just makes me feel like Ice Cream on my Cake. Thanks to all those who have taken the time and helped me head in the right direction. I also finished up my Type B set and will start another thread with pictures wooohooooo. Enjoy tom image
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    very nice write up and very nice looking quarter
    congrats too on what sounds like a "you suck" to me...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, Tommy, congratulations; you sure are passionate about these Washingtons! image
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>very nice write up and very nice looking quarter
    congrats too on what sounds like a "you suck" to me...image >>

image Congrats and Great Jobimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a great find! You are now educating others because I certainly had no knowledge of these. Thanks for the information and congrats!
  • Options
    And now there is a nice picture of Your coin in CoinFacts for reference.
    Thank You for the great infomation on this quarter
  • Options
    I just learned something new.
    I knew my superbird had the reengraved tail feathers, but I did not know only certain ones have it..
    There are now two superbirds in the fifth edition Cherrypickers' Guide. In a latter did stage they were added. This is most interesting.

1957 D is another date that can be found with engraved tail feathers (also listed in the new CPG).
    There were no re engraved tail ferathers listed in the fourth edition.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm i guess b4 I get too exited thinking about morgan engraved feather type coins, I better learn which ones are engraved on this bird.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    Hmm i guess b4 I get too exited thinking about morgan engraved feather type coins, I better learn which ones are engraved on this bird.

>>

I don't know the variety but I think the engraving is in the tail feathers. Look at them, they're so strangely formed and jut out.
  • Options

<< <i>.

image >>

????????? i don't get it . what is this?
  • Options
    Thanks to all that replied, modcrewman you know theres nothing else but washington for me (maybe an occasional doily : } I also received a pm from another member who went and checked his 53 and found another brother to the first one. Congrats.... I own over 7 of the superbirds and have looked at hundreds of them and also the 1957 d. With these three I do believe since the dies were wore out so much that an employee engraved into the die that you will not find many if any above proof 65. They(cherrypickers) guide pictures are really hard to compare to other coins. I also have not heard of any superbirds or 1957 d engraved tail feathers that have been graded yet. I also believe these are not going to be easy to find but yes thats what make the hunt fun. TED The tail feathers are the ones below the Arrow Shaft. Two pickup points. The leaf coming up into the tail feather Normal its almost in between two feathers, but the engraved version is way to the right of that line because they added that Line. Next is go look at the picture from teletrade reverse of coin. Bring the picture up to about 70 percent, Now look at the tail feathers what do you see? The lined start at the bottom of the arrow shaft and go all the way down to the bottom of the feather, all others have some lines coming down BUT not Fully from top to bottom. Having the pictures makes it so much easier to see, and maybe someone out there with a superbird or the 57d will show up sooner or later. Enjoy Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    1952 is a powerful year for quarters.

1) Two obverse master hubs were used (as were also used in 1951). One had master hub doubling and rather sloppy details.

2) Super Bird

3) Re engraved tail feathers

4) Class III proof doubled dies (B/A)
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I better learn which ones are engraved on this bird.

<< <i>
    ????????? i don't get it . what is this? >>

is my question a bit too vague? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to all that replied, modcrewman you know theres nothing else but washington for me (maybe an occasional doily : } I also received a pm from another member who went and checked his 53 and found another brother to the first one. Congrats.... I own over 7 of the superbirds and have looked at hundreds of them and also the 1957 d. With these three I do believe since the dies were wore out so much that an employee engraved into the die that you will not find many if any above proof 65. They(cherrypickers) guide pictures are really hard to compare to other coins. I also have not heard of any superbirds or 1957 d engraved tail feathers that have been graded yet. >>

I checked the pop reports the other day and there are two Superbird FS-902 coins attributed by PCGS so far. A PR63 and a PR65. I was looking because I found a superbird in an old rattler slab recently and looked it up in the cherrypicker's guide to make sure. Saw that there were two superbird varieties and noticed I had the one with the hand engraved tail feathers... pretty neat, but I don't think it would make sense to lose the rattler to get it attributed. If they require the FS-902 in the Registry sets, then maybe demand will be there, but until that time, I'm sure only the really hard core collectors will ever want these. We'll see...

• Options
    I checked the pop reports the other day and there are two Superbird FS-902 coins attributed by PCGS so far. A PR63 and a PR65. I was looking because I found a superbird in an old rattler slab recently and looked it up in the cherrypicker's guide to make sure. Saw that there were two superbird varieties and noticed I had the one with the hand engraved tail feathers... pretty neat, but I don't think it would make sense to lose the rattler to get it attributed. If they require the FS-902 in the Registry sets, then maybe demand will be there, but until that time, I'm sure only the really hard core collectors will ever want these. We'll see... >>

Excellant thanks for the info and congrats on finding that 52 sure would love to see a picture of that one. And I agree no point in cracking out Just like the Price guide on the 1952 proof quarters, They list the 67 cameo REGULAR at 1000 and YET they show the 67 cameo Superbird at 800? So Untill they change there price guide it makes no sense to get these attributed when there worth More not. Which is kinda crazy to me since there are WAY less of the Superbirds than the regular. Thanks for the info wll have to keep the search on........... Enjoy image Also wanted to ask Proofartworksoncirs what is this and where can I find more info on this? 4) Class III proof doubled dies (B/A) thanks

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rest of us will respond shortly ...We are busy checking our proof Quarters!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I have a 1953 PR25C with our host right now. Thanks for the insightful post and contribution. Looking forward to getting the quarter back to take a peak! Congratulations on the top pop. image
  • Options
    <<Also wanted to ask Proofartworksoncirs what is this and where can I find more info on this? 4) Class III proof doubled dies (B/A) thanks>>

See the CONECA master variety listing:

http://varietyvista.com/Variety Master Listings/washington doubled dies 1951-1959.htm

1952 DDR-001 PR-1-R-III
    1952 DDR-002 PR-2-R-III
    1952 D DDR-001 1-R-III

I suspect that there are more than 2 doubled dies for the 1952 proofs. THe D mint is probably a type A over type B rather than B/A.
    I discovered my first 1952 proof doubled die when I saw the ES gap was filled. This holds true on only a few of the these doubled dies though. Perhaps I can post more later.
  • Options
    I am beginning to think that the re-engraved tail feathers of the super bird come from an entirely separate die. See the picture of a proof 68 in referenced this thread:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=611805see
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1952 is a powerful year for quarters.

1) Two obverse master hubs were used (as were also used in 1951). One had master hub doubling and rather sloppy details.

2) Super Bird

3) Re engraved tail feathers

4) Class III proof doubled dies (B/A) >>

Also, the 1952-D Huge D.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Well, the PF64 went for $3,100!!!!!! Check it out here. A NICE score for a $30 purchase!!! I think it deserves a 'you suck', so, 'You Suck', Tom! Nice score, and perfect timing, regardless of how many come out. Gonna be interesting to see what the next highest grades bring.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I have a 66 & 67 unattributed. The guy who dished out $3K+ for a 64 is gonna feel pretty sheepish pretty soon.
  • Options
    They all have such a bad strike I didn’t think any would grade above a 65.

The tail feathers all almost completely gone. I guessed wrong.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The guy who dished out $3K+ for a 64 is gonna feel pretty sheepish pretty soon. >>

I would second this sentiment, and also second the "You Suck" award for Tommy on this, excellent market timing for certain!

Well played. image
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely! Hats off to 1tommy.
    Getting the 1st top pop to market is crucial.
  • Options
    -deleted-
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file