Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first attempt at coin photography

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a pretty good photo. How does it compare to the coin in hand?

JH
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow...what an image too...sweet lil coin too.....image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A+

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great to me. Maybe crop the sides in a little closer.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is a pretty good photo. How does it compare to the coin in hand?

JH >>

it looks the same in hand. I didnt have to tilt her to show off the toning. I still havent learned that skill.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Better than me image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin and great image!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good! The only thing I'd try to do is reposition the lights to avoid the prong shadow at 8:00 and prong glare at 4:00. Probably easier said than done, but being a non-reflective coin, this would be a good one to experiment with. The color looks a little too purple, too.

I also very much like the coin!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice photo
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me. What type of camera and lens did you use?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great photograph.. will not make any suggestions since I cannot take/post pictures. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice photo and great coin!

I'd re-angle the lighting to 10 and 2 instead of 10 and 4. That will probably help with the prong glare, as John points out.

Square crop (instead of rectangular) if you don't circle crop.

Fix the color. Too much pink, I'm guessing.
    Lance.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that coin!
    Excellent first effort for an image.
  • Options
    OK, now for those of us who have never tried to post a picture here,please give step by step instructions on how to do it.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, now for those of us who have never tried to post a picture here,please give step by step instructions on how to do it. >>

And another question no one seems to want to answer?!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    tinypic.com
    use the 2nd line down to copy from
    then paste directly into this body
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, now for those of us who have never tried to post a picture here,please give step by step instructions on how to do it. >>

And another question no one seems to want to answer?! >>

Get a free photobucket account. Upload your images there. Then mouse-over one you uploaded. A drop down menu will allow you to click on the [IMG] link. That copies the image onto your clipboard. Come back here, compose a message, and paste the image link. Do a preview to see it worked right before replying.

Very simple, really.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And another question no one seems to want to answer?! >>

I try to answer questions, but end up confusing myself.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Thats great photography, I wish I had a camera worth trying to take coin photos but I spend all my extra money on money.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! Better than me image >>

Far better then AnkurJ's! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I wish that I could take pictures of my coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Thats great photography, I wish I had a camera worth trying to take coin photos but I spend all my extra money on money. >>

I think that's a mistake. I used to feel the same. But after spending time with a decent set-up I began to appreciate my coins more (or less...image ) and it improved my eye. Plus, sharing online is fun.

Most of the time our coins live in vaults, often out of easy reach. Wouldn't nice images make that a little more palatable?
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice! Better than me image >>

Far better then AnkurJ's! imageimage >>

That was funny. Im still laughing. Best part is that he cant defend himself image Nothing but love Ankur. I hope this b/s ban is lifted soon.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent photography and an amazing result for a first effort!
    Nice coin tooimageimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Nice, Great coin too!
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats great photography, I wish I had a camera worth trying to take coin photos but I spend all my extra money on money. >>

I think that's a mistake. I used to feel the same. But after spending time with a decent set-up I began to appreciate my coins more (or less...image ) and it improved my eye. Plus, sharing online is fun.

Most of the time our coins live in vaults, often out of easy reach. Wouldn't nice images make that a little more palatable?
    Lance. >>

Yeah, I really wanna share to sometimes and have the worst digital camera for any close up pics. My problem is now I'm also scared to buy another camera because the one I have I paid Around $400 for at Costco and it worked ok at first then one day it just started getting lines in the pics and not taking clear photos and I barely used it and stored it safely. So I don't want to buy another lemon, it was a Kodak so I thought being that they have been in the camera and film business for as long as I can remember it would be a good camera. I never really been into taking pictures, but now I keep seeing all these nice coin photos here and its making me want an nice camera. I just need to really feel good about the purchase cause electronics always let me down.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    that is very very good
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice first attempt! Keep up the good work...

ABimage
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's your first attempt you've got a good eye and skill. My first attempt looked like someone handed a drunken chimpanzee a webcam and had it stand on a ladder while blindfolded.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file