Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

skyman's 16 merc...great image...proof or not???...poll too

take a deep serious study of these images and honestly give opinion as in could this truly be a proof under the radar here???
take in the date...numbers are very flat and square even look pebbled
those rims...wide,crispy sharp and very flat too
the fields...very flat all the way to the wall of the rims...there's no round ramping up in the corner
the reverse too shows very minute sharpness of detail
look at those ribbon ends and detail
the branches even have detail in them i've never seen
so yeah...
comment away but seriously study these images first

<< <i>image
image >>

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Don't be silly, of course it isn't. What you are seeing is that the 16 issues were struck in a higher relief than the rest of the series. There is 0 chance that is a Proof.... Sorry
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an average business strike... The reverse die is a bit misaligned, not proof wire rims.

I voted lasvegasteddy is on catnip yet again imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just an average business strike... The reverse die is a bit misaligned, not proof wire rims.

I voted lasvegasteddy is on catnip yet again imageimage >>

puff-puff my brother...could be a bad batch is all...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>Just an average business strike... The reverse die is a bit misaligned, not proof wire rims.

I voted lasvegasteddy is on catnip yet again imageimage >>

I voted it was only because I did frOm my phone and mis clicked. I don't know what some collectors are smoking but I wish I had some
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a proof
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a proof.. but a nice Merc indeed..well, except for the tarnish...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another view of SkyMan's 1916. Not a proof, but is a beauty.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    You can see chloroplasts in the leaves!

image You gotta love a nice 16!
  • Options
    It should also be noted that there is no such thing as a Proof 1916 Merc dime
  • Options

<< <i>It should also be noted that there is no such thing as a Proof 1916 Merc dime >>

This is the one obvious point that I am surprised that no one else mentioned; moreover, even if a few trial strikes were struck this coin would clearly not be one of them. Look at the rims: They scream business strike. The coin has a nice strike, but not the nicest I have seen on a 1916 Mercury Dime.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It should also be noted that there is no such thing as a Proof 1916 Merc dime >>

so noted as a stance and all who agree

not my stance though

personally i've never sat and reasearched at national archives to disprove validity of someone who has...
    researched at national archives and presented us this overview

archival research article

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

so noted as a stance and all who agree

not my stance though

personally i've never sat and reasearched at national archives to disprove validity of someone who has...
    researched at national archives and presented us this overview
    archival research article >>

As someone else noted in a previous thread on this topic this "paper" has been online for years and is just a supplement to some eBay dealer trying to sell his coin as a proof.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can see chloroplasts in the leaves!

image You gotta love a nice 16! >>

And fascists in the fasces! image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Not a proof, as others have said, and I read the article you linked before and also agree its inaccurate. If such was true I'm sure someone more notable would of stated chance of such proofs being possible. Also who the hell is Seymour Wampum anyway to write such an article and post it online and expect that people should believe it.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    No way, no how that's a proof! I was a bit surprised by the question to be honest...
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a proof but here are photos of a satin finish proof

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Fresh dies makes for many nice strikes with lots of details. I sit in the camp that says no 1916 Merc proofs were minted.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I really love the look of 1916 dimes and this is one of those.image Many seem to be nicely toned too.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>Not a proof but here are photos of a satin finish proof

>>

That's not a proof either but since were at it I am going to call this coin a proof because it kind of sort of looks like one!!! If a coin has an attribute that is similar to a period proof coin that makes it a proof, right???
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a proof. Not really close to being a proof. But a very nice looking coin!
    I like it.

Too bad there's no "D" on the reverse, eh? image
    (as a mintmark that is )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file