Home U.S. Coin Forum

Battle of Two Twentieth Century Numismatic Titans

Here is an interesting face-off between two Twentieth Century numismatic luminaries, Louis Eliasberg and Amon Carter, featuring competing 1849-D gold dollars from the collection of Yours Truly. These were not ordinary numismatists: as a benchmark of their achievements, both once owned the mysterious and legendary 1933 Double Eagle. I want to emphasize that this "contest" is only one data point and shouldn't be viewed as conclusive. The numismatic photography is by BluCC.

"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coooool
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I'd take either one of those two beauties, but some folks want to be greedy and own them both.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    judging the pictures, i like the earlier die state AU50 for the obverse and the cleaner, unimpaired MS62 for the reverse. you are one lucky so-and-so to able to own what is the best of both coins at the same.image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    le crowd i'm in here...image

is there a true difference in these middle stars???
    one almost touches the rim
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gold coins...Yep. I would go with door number one... Cheers, RickO
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>judging the pictures, i like the earlier die state AU50 for the obverse and the cleaner, unimpaired MS62 for the reverse. you are one lucky so-and-so to able to own what is the best of both coins at the same.image >>

Clearly the answer is to the plane both coins and mate them like an electrotype image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Those are both gorgeous!image

I like #2.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Those are both gorgeous!image

I like #2. >>

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are wonderful! If I had to choose to own just one, my choice would the Carter. It has more character.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a comparison from a series I am familiar with. I have the Amon Carter specimen, and a good friend owns the Eliasberg specimen.

I will admit I may be biased, but I give the nod on this round to Amon Carter. image

-- Cardinal
    Portraits of Liberty large cents
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>le crowd i'm in here...image

image >>

Same die. Think the holder is obscuring a part of the rim.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>judging the pictures, i like the earlier die state AU50 for the obverse and the cleaner, unimpaired MS62 for the reverse. you are one lucky so-and-so to able to own what is the best of both coins at the same.image >>

I like the AU-58 Eliasberg obverse better......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd take either one of those two beauties, but some folks want to be greedy and own them both.

Ron

image >>

I see nothing stopping you from making an offer.
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭

<< <i>Here is a comparison from a series I am familiar with. I have the Amon Carter specimen, and a good friend owns the Eliasberg specimen.

I will admit I may be biased, but I give the nod on this round to Amon Carter. image

-- Cardinal
    Portraits of Liberty large cents >>

Very cool. I'm amazed that another Carter-Eliasberg face-off was out there, waiting to be posted. I'm sure that the "winner" would toggle back and forth, depending on the coins involved.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a comparison from a series I am familiar with. I have the Amon Carter specimen, and a good friend owns the Eliasberg specimen.

-- Cardinal
    Portraits of Liberty large cents >>

Omg. WOW!!! That SP66 is absolutely amazing. I love the serial number PCGS gave it too! image

-Paul
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭

<< <i>le crowd i'm in here...image

image >>

I'll check the next time I go to the bank...
    "Clamorous for Coin"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file