Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling coins in no-name holders on eBay

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
An eBay consignment recently came in with a large number of coins graded by a no-name slabber that I'd never even heard of. A random spot-check shows that the coins aren't terribly graded, though I certainly disagree with some. I know eBay's rules on naming the company and providing numeric grades for such coins, but I'm wondering your opinion on the best way to sell these coins honestly knowing the stigma of such grading companies. Would you:

A- Provide your own grade (generic, such at UNC, not numeric, along with any problems that may exist) and make no mention of the holder the coin is in.

B- Show the holder in addition to what is done in A

C- Add a text note mentioning the coin is in a holder eBay doesn't recognize, and the grade provided is your opinion (I'm assuming that my opinion may carry some weight), along with everything in B

D- Do what's mentioned in C, but don't include a photo of the holder. The buyer will know the coin is in a holder, but not know anything about it.

E- Something else

As a buyer, I don't think I'd really care about the holder, but as a seller, my gut feeling to disclose something is due to the theory many hold that if a coin is in one of these slabs, it has a problem. When they receive their "raw" coin, perhaps they'll feel duped. On the flip side, I also don't want to give the impression that I accept this company I've never heard of as legit. Obviously, if the coins were garbage, it would be a different story, but in this case, they seem to be nice coins in the wrong holders.

Your thoughts?
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    If you aren't going to crack them out of said holders, I'd go with B/C. Basically treat the coin as raw but show a picture of the current "slab" it is in. You're pretty straight up with your opinions, so I think your bidders will respect that.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the B+C option. Even with a never-heard-of holder brand, I still think the buyer would want to see at least a pic or two of that kind of holder. Gives them more of a comfort level as to what they are buying. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck image.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A-C-D-no-B
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably treat and describe the coin as if raw, and add a "currently housed in a BSGS holder" note
    in the listing.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D. You're selling it as a raw coin, the buyer is buying it as a raw coin, the third world annotations probably don't even carry as much weight as a slice of thin crust pizza, so no need to include them. Just take an accurate picture.
  • Options
    My conscious would be clear after B; C is icing on the cupcake. Remember you want to be fair and maximize the price realized for your consignor. I think you meet the fairness threshold with B. When you starting adding C and the other stuff, I would begin to think: Why is the seller working so hard to protect himself? He already showed an image of the coin and described the problems? Are the problems worse than the photos suggest? Remember, you can overdo anything.

P.S. I would also add a generous return privilege, although, if my memory serves me correctly, you tend to do this anyway.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Less verbiage is better than more. As one poster here admitted was his approach to bidding a while back, he just wants to see the pretty pictures and doesn't want to be bothered reading a bunch of crap. Even if that crap is relevant to what he's bidding on.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provide high definition pictures and let the TRUE collectors pick and choose at will.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    The holders mean nothing. Tell the seller they would be best letting you pop them from the holders and selling the coins on their own merit.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was well known companies such as PCI or SEGs, or the really old slabs (INS, Global, ACG, etc.) I have done option "C" and just give my opinion of the grade and then say it was slabbed by a "third world" grading company. Ebay did not have a problem with that.

If it is one of those "self-slabbers" (i.e. SGS NCCS, etc.) I would either crack it out and sell raw or just state my opinion of the grade and say it is in a "self-slabber" holder.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B + C, or just crack them and sell raw. If I were selling them, I would choose B/C.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Less verbiage is better than more. As one poster here admitted was his approach to bidding a while back, he just wants to see the pretty pictures and doesn't want to be bothered reading a bunch of crap. Even if that crap is relevant to what he's bidding on. >>

this is the crowd i'm in too...image
    great coins sell themselves...get best images you can
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    show the holder as well as good pics of coins. Don't give opinion, just another justification for a return if buyer doesn't agree. If any of them are possibly money coins, I'd consider cross over.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I would show a cropped picture, treat the coin as raw (however you do that), mention the coin is in a protective holder, and include a note with the coin something like "I don't recognize this holder or grade so I have sold you the coin as raw. Please don't put any faith in the grade on the holder as it may or may not be right."

--Jerry
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I can say myself when selling the junk holders the interest level is far lower if the coins are significant. I had a few coins in such holders and had very little luck in selling them for close to there value. I cracked them out and had no issue selling the coins for what there market price is. I myself always look at the lower tier slabs with great caution since many are cleaned and over-graded , damaged and at times not even authentic. There are nice coins in bad slabs to be sure but many don't give them the benefit of the doubt. Many collectors wont even look at a slab that is not at least one of the perceived top 4 or 5 and for good reason much of the time.

I would look at the value of the coin and crack the coins that have any significant value out and either re slab them or sell them raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file