Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG 1913 Buffalo nickel... Results on first post..

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I should get the results in the next couple days. I picked it up at a Santa Clara show about 7 years ago. This one is on my first submission, basically, my 2004 proof Platinum $50 coin came back as a 69 and there's no point in GTG'ing nearly perfect proof moderns.

Also on this submission: A 1970 S Small Date Lincoln, a 1952 GWC commem with hopefully passable toning and the best out of a box of 180 2011 Army commem half $ unc.

UPDATE:The Buffalo nickel got MS65, the 70s Small date got MS64 Red and my Washington Carver got MS63-- something I'm totally ok with 'cause it's got great toning and I wanted it holdered.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    64/65 crowd on this one...moreso the 65...image
    nice buff
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58? ...not my series but I think I see rub...who knows, maybe it is a weak strike in areas? Again, not my series. I do like it though, the lack of hits is nice.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there are more MS 13P's than AU's....they must have saved a bunch of them......MS64 on this one, unless it has flashier luster than the pic indicates. If so it should 65.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think there are more MS 13P's than AU's....they must have saved a bunch of them......MS64 on this one, unless it has flashier luster than the pic indicates. If so it should 65. >>

If this buff has the luster I'll go 65, if not 64 all day....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess 63--no offense. It's a nice mint-state piece with what appears to be ordinary strike and luster. PCGS can be tough on this issue. I have a couple in 63 that disappointed me enormously until I accepted how tough PCGS really can be. When I showed those pieces raw here before submitting, the board was awash in predictions of 66. Hmph.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll guess 63--no offense. It's a nice mint-state piece with what appears to be ordinary strike and luster. PCGS can be tough on this issue. I have a couple in 63 that disappointed me enormously until I accepted how tough PCGS really can be. When I showed those pieces raw here before submitting, the board was awash in predictions of 66. Hmph. >>

I wouldnt use the word tough I would use inconsistent. I have put Buffaloes side by side in 64 and 66 holders that are exactly the same.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll guess 63--no offense. It's a nice mint-state piece with what appears to be ordinary strike and luster. PCGS can be tough on this issue. I have a couple in 63 that disappointed me enormously until I accepted how tough PCGS really can be. When I showed those pieces raw here before submitting, the board was awash in predictions of 66. Hmph. >>

I take no offense at all! It helps to learn grading on $50 coins before I try and go for the big guys. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62/63... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    TallGuyTallGuy Posts: 122 ✭✭
    "Can't never Could!"
  • Options
    63-64; I'm leaning more towards the latter.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    64. Maybe 65. Surfaces are nice and clean but the luster isn't quite there.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 64. Uneven toning and subdued luster keep it out of a 65 holder, if image is accurate. Something interesting going on between the T and the S in CENTS.
    By the way, Fraser absolutely nailed it in the Type 1 design.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 64 camp.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    bump...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file