Home Precious Metals

Diamond Jubilee

Expensive silver coin up for sale at the Royal Mint, the price is approx $208. My order has been placed.

Diamond Jubilee

Denomination £5
Issue Limit 3,250
Alloy .925 Sterling Silver
Weight 56.56g
Diameter 38.61mm
Reverse Designer Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
Obverse Designer Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
Edge Inscription A VOW MADE GOOD
Quality Proof

THe Queen's Diamond Jubilee Coin

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee UK CoinThe importance of this silver Piedfort coin struck by The Royal Mint cannot be overestimated, as collectors hurry to add this prestigious coin to their collection. It is also a tasteful and long-lasting keepsake of the Diamond Jubilee that will be treasured forever.

The eyes of the world will be on Britain in June 2012 when Her Majesty The Queen celebrates 60 years on the throne. Only one other monarch has reached this momentous milestone, her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, making it one of the most significant events in the history of the monarchy. To have reigned with such dignity and devotion to duty for such a long time is a wonderful achievement and The Royal Mint is proud to mark this once-in-a-lifetime occasion with an official UK £5 coin.

Minted in sterling silver on double thickness blanks to the highest Proof quality and with a maximum mintage of just 3,250 pieces, the UK silver Piedfort coin features two new portraits of The Queen created especially for the Diamond Jubilee. Each coin is beautifully presented within a bespoke case and accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.

The word ‘Piedfort’ comes from the French and can be translated ‘heavy measure’ and, indeed, Piedfort coins, double the thickness of their standard counterpart, can be traced back to twelfth-century France where they were used by the King as presentation pieces.

During the reign of Queen Elizabeth II the first Piedfort coin struck especially for collectors came in 1982 with the introduction of the 20p coin. Today, they are among the most popular coins issued each year.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood

Comments

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I bought one too.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my idea of a Jubilee coin. Actually cost less than the new silver one.

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin.

monarchy===== my ancestor were thugs. The idea of royally makes me sick.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.. will have to look at that coin...I have a few British coins. Will there be a gold issue?? Cheers, RickO
  • I managed to procure a handfull of the 125th Double Florin anniversary sets which were limited to 125 sets worldwide.
  • I tried for the 125th Double Florin however I was too late, nice pick up.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool.. will have to look at that coin...I have a few British coins. Will there be a gold issue?? Cheers, RickO >>

Yes i believe there is a Gold one right now Ricko. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    RM raised the price from yesterday, was 120 pounds, today, it's 145 pounds, that's like 40 bucks more since yesterday.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Piedfort coin is really nice....Cheers, RickO
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I don't like the portrait of the old Queen.
    I think I will get just the BU coin in cupro-nickel.

Though, the Australian one in gold is pretty nice!

In the meantime I bought the full set of bullion Sovereigns with the new design for the jubilee.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
    My piedfort DJ QE has arrived.

Looking to flip, once sell out occurs. 3250 total mintage.

Waiting for the RM to sell out. What's up with that? VAT? Longest sell out I've seen.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1897 Diamond Jubilee

imageimage

3,725 minted with 2.75 oz of gold
    19,498 minted with .3772 oz of gold

Beautiful, but they sell for melt.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medals!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    The DJ piedfort is no longer on the RM website, an inquiry to cust. service reveals "No longer available - Sold Out"

Took about two and a half weeks for the sell out by my reckoning.