Home Precious Metals
Options

How can they say " INFLATION IS SUBDUED" When I am getting soaked even at Mcdonalds

I swear my local Mcdonalds has taken like 3 across the board price increases since January 1st. First, they increased the price of all the extra value meals, then they increased the price of most of the sandwiches, now another price increase. Now they have increased the price of all the EVM's again, and most of the dollar menu item.

They just raised the Sundaes from 41 to $1.69. The 2 for $1.00 apple pies are now $1.19 EACH. WTF ???? Thats a 140% PRice Increase ????
I would order the big mac EVM and a sundae and it was $7.00 in december ( 3 months ago ) and I swear its over $10 now. The Big Mac EVM here is $7.49 + tax here. It was $4.99 + tax just 3 months ago.

Mcdonalds is supposed to be the place you go to for crap food and crap service and of course panhandlers asking for money but I would go there but at least it was cheap. Not any more, it costs me $11 - $12 just for an EVM and dessert that doesnt even fill me up for 2 hours. How can anyone believe there is no inflation, when even the very monument of cheapness ( Mcdonalds ) is raising their prices drastically on a monthly basis.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny, you officially understand the problem. The last time I ordered at McDonald's, I thought they'd gotten the order wrong because the price was so much higher.

Everything is higher, not just gas.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Everything is exploding. Mcdonalds in my area has increased prices about 40% since December. i bet they are getting a lot of angry customers now that those little pies are $1.19 each. Even at 2 for $1.00 they werent a great deal. Now they are 1 for $1.19.
  • Options
    HawgstickHawgstick Posts: 240 ✭✭
    I paid $1.29 for a regular sized candy bar at 7-11. It's out of control!
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, when the gov't says there is no cost of living adjustment raises for 2 years for the gov't employees,

how do you think the Mint Employees feel when they see non-PM product prices rising?

BOGUS!

CPI = biggest on going lie our government is spreading.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing about Mcdonalds, today I brought my 5 year old niece there to get her and my other niece happy meals and myself a Ice Coffee, it rang up to around $12. The guy next to me in lines order came to $23 and I sat there thinking how insane $23 sounds for MC'ds. I remember as a kid in the late 70's the family going there for dinner and it costing way under $10 for the 4 of us.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And in the early 1960's when I first visited McD's, $1.00 bought me two plain burgers, a shake, and fries. And I was plenty full.

We certainly have price deflation out there, but not in things we routinely consume such as food, energy, services, taxes, fees, etc.
    Deflation is certainly occurring in financial assets of varying sorts as black holes get stuffed with cash, some of it leaking out into the economy.
    The two "flation's" can co-exist quite well in the current environment.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to remember who it is that is telling you that inflation is subdued. I liked in when Dr. Paul recently asked the bernanke if he did any grocery shopping.

Price inflation usually follows money supply inflation. PMs will help protect you during price inflation.

Also - you ain't seen nutin yet on the inflation front.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if some of the price increase is due to the removal of pink slime (Google it + McDonalds) from their beef patties.
    If so - it's worth it.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    stocks and metals rose today based on the belief that the bernanke hinted at more QE.

They will both drop like a rock (as soon as tomorrow?) once investors realize what he really said.

• Options

<< <i>Funny thing about Mcdonalds, today I brought my 5 year old niece there to get her and my other niece happy meals and myself a Ice Coffee, it rang up to around $12. The guy next to me in lines order came to $23 and I sat there thinking how insane $23 sounds for MC'ds. I remember as a kid in the late 70's the family going there for dinner and it costing way under $10 for the 4 of us. >>

I remember 4 of us for $5 and change, of course burgers were like 39 cents

Today, I just learned my $1 fries are now $1.19 --- 19%

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>stocks and metals rose today based on the belief that the bernanke hinted at more QE.

They will both drop like a rock (as soon as tomorrow) once investors realize what he really said. >>

I agree that what he said today was no sign of easing in anything.

their policy has been "accomodative" for months now and all he signalled was "accomodative." I don't see that to mean a change from anything they are currently doing.

Wall St. can't be this stupid.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>stocks and metals rose today based on the belief that the bernanke hinted at more QE.

They will both drop like a rock (as soon as tomorrow?) once investors realize what he really said. >>

their policy has been "accomodative" for months now and all he signalled was "accomodative." I don't see that to mean a change from anything they are currently doing.

Wall St. can't be this stupid. >>

He isn't trying to fool wall street, he't trying to fool the buyers of wall street's products.

• Options
    As long as they don't run out of Soylent Green, we are fine. The other Soylent products are too expensive.
  • Options
    about time for a few of our experts to remind us we are making more money than we were when a McD hamburger was nineteen cents and nothing has really changed.

• Options

<< <i>As long as they don't run out of Soylent Green, we are fine. The other Soylent products are too expensive. >>

true.

I hear the largest cost for soylent green input costs is the transportation.

PS: Growing algae for food, nutrients, biodiesel, animal feed or use in cosmetics is extremely rewarding Although I'd like to build the soylent corp. plants near population centers so we can feed the hungry faster.

• Options

<< <i>about time for a few of our experts to remind us we are making more money than we were when a McD hamburger was nineteen cents and nothing has really changed. >>

Inflation adjusted, even using their numbers, we definitely are making less than when I was the kid in the family.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    You guys just don't understand how to measure inflation. There is the Producer Price Index (PPI), Consumer Price Index (CPI), And the Ben Benanke Index (BBI). The government uses the BBI for all their adjustments. The wonderful thing about the BBI is that you don't have to go to all the trouble to measure and track things, you get to just make up any number you want.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    McDonald's still has some "loss leaders" which are a good deal. McDouble is $1.29 and large Coke is $1.00 (this is Chicago). Of course, you can easily spend $7+ on a "Value Meal."

What's surprised me is the rapid price jump of some foods. Used to buy organic eggs at Target's grocery for $3.69/dozen just a few months ago. Now $4.49 and they're the same price at Trader Joe's, etc. That's a 20% jump literally overnight.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also - you ain't seen nutin yet on the inflation front.

That's also what I'm sensing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully, a dozen eggs is still $2.69 here, but about two months ago peanut butter went up overnight (yes, overnight) approximately 60%.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Screw McDonalds! Support your neighbors - eat at local independent restaurants and shop farmers markets. I get farm fresh eggs for $2.00 a dozen. Plant a garden.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Butter milk was $3.48 today and $3.92 a week agoimage Seen off brand Bologna for $.75 cents a pound~think I know where "pink slim" is goingimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked at a Mickey D's in the Spring of 1967. Hamburgers were 15 cents. Cheeseburgers 19 cents. Fries (one size only) a dime. Small coke 10 cents, large 15 cents. Think the milkshakes were 19 cents.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I worked at a Mickey D's in the Spring of 1967. Hamburgers were 15 cents. Cheeseburgers 19 cents. Fries (one size only) a dime. Small coke 10 cents, large 15 cents. Think the milkshakes were 19 cents. >>

do you still smell like fries?
  • Options
    stop stop stop

when is gold hyperinflation coming?

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

They will both drop like a rock (as soon as tomorrow) once investors realize what he really said. >>

He isn't trying to fool wall street, he't trying to fool the buyers of wall street's products. >>

Exactly, he's making the environment cozy for the sheeple, aka future bagholders.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if some of the price increase is due to the removal of pink slime (Google it + McDonalds) from their beef patties.
    If so - it's worth it. >>

Why add the + McDonalds when looking up the pink slime ? It's been in all USDA ground beef for years , the supermarkets have been selling it to you all along.The funny part of it all is pink slime is just lean beef seperated by extreme heat from fat , it's then treated to a chemical/ammonia bath to kill any bacteria.Some supermarkets are jumping on the bandwagon saying they will cease to sell the ground beef with the pink slime but you'll notice they avoid comment on the chemical bath part.Any and all ground beef patties in the US are and will be continued to be processed this way.In a huge way nothing has changed other than people are getting even less beef than before.Gotta love how they play the average consumers , if you are not getting your meat from a local trusted butcher your not getting what you think you are getting.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I worked at a Mickey D's in the Spring of 1967. Hamburgers were 15 cents. Cheeseburgers 19 cents. Fries (one size only) a dime. Small coke 10 cents, large 15 cents. Think the milkshakes were 19 cents. >>

I remember burgers for $.10 and couldn't believe it when the price went up to $.12. My economic model as an 8 year old kid was bottle returns, so I needed six bottles instead of five to get a burger. Outrageous! LOL
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I saw where the FDA approved this. What inflation, we're putting in things that shouldn't be in our food to keep cost down and inflation at bay?

Why You Should Avoid Fast Food at All Costs Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/why-you-should-avoid-fast-food-at-all-costs/#ixzz1qJUmLWUH

Most recently it was uncovered that these $1 cheeseburgers, along with the rest of McDonald’s’ beef and chicken, were actually harnessing ‘pink slime’ scrap meat covered with ammonium hydroxide. Not only does this fake meat provide no nutritional value at all, but it is chemically contaminated from ammonia, the toxic cleaning agent found under the sink. The meat is actually fat trimmings and connective tissue that are separated from the bone – scrap meat that is not fit for human consumption. The ammonia treatment is in response to the danger of contamination from salmonella or E. coli, but the scrap meats themselves are more likely to contain pathogens. Despite the chemical treatment, the meat is still in the line of fire for contamination. Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/why-you-should-avoid-fast-food-at-all-costs/#ixzz1qJVKc1yC
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Solyent Green is People

After the pink slime fiasco I can no longer eat hamburger. Saying they don't put it their food is different than actually getting rid of it. Don't believe them. Pink slime is made of left over body parts you would never imagine eating. Saying they are no longer using pink slime is a ploy to increase their prices without actually getting rid of it.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It really boils down to the same thing as I said about gasoline. As long as polls keep coming out saying that people aren't going to be discouraged to take their expensive Summer vacations driving all over just because gas is high, that's music to the oil companies ears.
    Same thing at McD's, they are testing just how high they can take it before they notice a slight drop off in sales.
    As long as people are willing to pay the price, it will continue to go up. This statement is across the board on everything.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. I remember buying a 12 oz Pepsi from a machine around 1960 for a nickel. It was in a glass bottle and there was a rack on the side of the machine to return the bottle. I remember buying my first car---a brand new Pontiac Firebird with a V8 engine and turbohydromatic transmission---for $3000 out the door. Anyone who has been around for awhile has witnessed the erosion of the value of their money. I really feel sorry those who are on fixed incomes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I swear my local Mcdonalds has taken like 3 across the board price increases since January 1st. First, they increased the price of all the extra value meals, then they increased the price of most of the sandwiches, now another price increase. Now they have increased the price of all the EVM's again, and most of the dollar menu item.

They just raised the Sundaes from 41 to $1.69. The 2 for $1.00 apple pies are now $1.19 EACH. WTF ???? Thats a 140% PRice Increase ????
    I would order the big mac EVM and a sundae and it was $7.00 in december ( 3 months ago ) and I swear its over $10 now. The Big Mac EVM here is $7.49 + tax here. It was $4.99 + tax just 3 months ago.

Mcdonalds is supposed to be the place you go to for crap food and crap service and of course panhandlers asking for money but I would go there but at least it was cheap. Not any more, it costs me $11 - $12 just for an EVM and dessert that doesnt even fill me up for 2 hours. How can anyone believe there is no inflation, when even the very monument of cheapness ( Mcdonalds ) is raising their prices drastically on a monthly basis. >>

Prices will continue to rise as long as people are willing to pay. Again, just like in the case of gasoline prices, the American consumer sets the prices, not the businesses.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing prices just hit a ten year low.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Housing prices just hit a ten year low.

MJ >>

will continue dropping until they reach their true, unadulterated martket value. image

• Options
    IIRC, previous home RE trends were like 3% a year before the bubble and in at least in my location prices here are still well over that 3% trend from before the bubble.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

He isn't trying to fool wall street, he't trying to fool the buyers of wall street's products. >>

Exactly, he's making the environment cozy for the sheeple, aka future bagholders. >>

Actually, thinking about it, the concept could be a good conspiracy theory for sucking the retail investors in.

Wall St. can't be this dumb.

• Options

<< <i>Prices will continue to rise as long as people are willing to pay. Again, just like in the case of gasoline prices, the American consumer sets the prices, not the businesses. >>

very true.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I swear my local Mcdonalds has taken like 3 across the board price increases since January 1st. First, they increased the price of all the extra value meals, then they increased the price of most of the sandwiches, now another price increase. Now they have increased the price of all the EVM's again, and most of the dollar menu item.

Mcdonalds is supposed to be the place you go to for crap food and crap service and of course panhandlers asking for money but I would go there but at least it was cheap. Not any more, it costs me $11 - $12 just for an EVM and dessert that doesnt even fill me up for 2 hours. How can anyone believe there is no inflation, when even the very monument of cheapness ( Mcdonalds ) is raising their prices drastically on a monthly basis. >>

Where do you live? Haven't noticed here in SW Missouri any crazy price hikes.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ >>

Me smells opportunity.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    here's one graph
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Eggs- $1.28-1.45/dozen (getting some chickens today so won't have to pay for eggs anymore and can sell some to offset feed costs)
    Milk- $3.28/gallon
    Bread- $1.89/loaf
    Gas- $3.84/gallon (jumped from $3.60 the last 2 weeks)
    MCD's dollar menu items- still a dollar (but extremely bad for your health)

Life is good in south Ga.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Case-Shiller Index

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

MJ >>

Me smells opportunity.image >>

Sounds like to me your a decade or two too late. Everyone and their brother have several houses making million off renting houses. There's way too many on the market, you can only live in one unless you think the US is due for a population explosion your not going to make much money in the future in most areas IMO. And being in a family that owned a half dozen there's a lot of work that comes with this model.
  • Options

<< <i>

MJ >>

will continue dropping until they reach their true, unadulterated martket value. image >>

So we're not at the bottom of housing?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my daughter gets a Capri Sun juice in her lunch daily. They were $1.99 per box of ten about two months ago. Noticed today that the price went up by more than 25% to $2.49.

I think the truthfulness of "official statistics" is laughable.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

will continue dropping until they reach their true, unadulterated martket value. image >>

So we're not at the bottom of housing? >>

not in my unprofessional opinion

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are in DEFLATION!

The only rises we are seeing are in COSTS! Inflation (which is the ONLY operable scenario for a fiat currency) depends on rising ASSET prices.

What you are paying for NEEDS is up. What you OWN is down.

Price rises for NEEDS comes at the cost of purchasing power for discretionary things.

This is a recipe for economic COLLAPSE. Due to lack of revenue. And the revenue will keep falling so long as CHEAP FOREIGN LABOR restricts American WAGES!

Gold's primary purpose now is not to "keep up with"...inflation.... but to be an insurance against the collapse of a debt laden economy.

THAT will happen.

Guaranteed.
  • Options
    Price increases in the costs of my needs and increases in the overall money supply are not deflation. They are price inflation and money supply inflation by definition.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That definition only works on the assumption that the increased money supply is being distributed for purchases of things risign in value.
    That enormous debt is being held by busted banks to shore up their balance sheet to cover the yet undisclosed TRUE measure of how badly their conventional assets are overvalued.