Home Precious Metals
Options

Safe way to store your PM's

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone using this service from APMEX?
Anyone seen this facility in OK?
Does the Gov't have access to the ones storing their PM's there?

Citadel
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My preference is a safe deposit box where it takes a key in my possession to get to it and I like the fact that no one at the credit union knows what is in the box. Problem with a company holding it is the assets of that company being frozen in bankruptcy or during a criminal investigation or worse yet, theft. If a bank fails at least the FDIC moves in and secures another bank to take over operations, usually over a weekend with no interruption in banking services. If during normal banking hours, I'm only 20 minutes away from resuming possession.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I keep mine in a SDB. I feel it is the safest method.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep mine at Ricko's house if he let me. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>My preference is a safe deposit box where it takes a key in my possession to get to it and I like the fact that no one at the credit union knows what is in the box. >>

My bank has extra levels of security as the teller's have trouble finding the bank key for my box, they merged the SDBs of several branches.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Safe deposit box in local bank 2 minutes from my house.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Safe deposit box in local bank 2 minutes from my house. >>

Ditto.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    I still keep mine in a van down by the river
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJ, I will store your PM's anytime...image What's one more mother lode in the citadel?? image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still keep mine in a van down by the river

lol, I hadn't thought of that!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    10 feet deep, within rifle range. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this morning, I was just trying to find some DVD cases in my desk and what did I find? If you guessed a 100 oz Engelhard bar, you would be right! I visited the bank today. The bar is now secure. image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ, I will store your PM's anytime...image What's one more mother lode in the citadel?? image Cheers, RickO >>

TexasNationals is plan B

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MJ... same plan B as I have...image In fact, he may be the only one I know with better security... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ, I will store your PM's anytime...image What's one more mother lode in the citadel?? image Cheers, RickO >>

I know that you are kidding but there is no way that I would want to be responsible for storing someone elses PM's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

I know that you are kidding but there is no way that I would want to be responsible for storing someone elses PM's. >>

Oh come on now, The Fed, Central Bank, Government, they all store someone elses PM's, why not join that honest group. Ok, I've also got some futures in cattle, corn, wheat, would you be a storing house for those futures? Wait, wait, I'm going with M F Global cause they are so honest.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    My SDB is fine

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my pocket, next to my .45 !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Well I will add myself to the list of posters who did not answer the posters questions. He didnt ask if this was better or worse than an SDB. Read his original question. I have opinions on SDB's also but he didnt ask for that did he? image
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Buried in 6 ft of depth out in the local lake. Only I know the GPS coordinates. image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I love Apmex. BUT NOT THAT MUCH! Or any other holding company.

Only having to read a bad story or two over the last couple months has convinced me against it.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Well I will add myself to the list of posters who did not answer the posters questions. He didnt ask if this was better or worse than an SDB. Read his original question. I have opinions on SDB's also but he didnt ask for that did he? image >>

For the OP:
    No
    No
    Don't know

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I will add myself to the list of posters who did not answer the posters questions. He didnt ask if this was better or worse than an SDB. Read his original question. I have opinions on SDB's also but he didnt ask for that did he? image >>

For the OP:
    No
    No
    Don't know >>

Thanks Derry!
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, during the gold confiscation era I am told that the government had people stationed at banks that had to be there when you opened your SDB so they could take any gold that was in there.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI, during the gold confiscation era I am told that the government had people stationed at banks that had to be there when you opened your SDB so they could take any gold that was in there. >>

A SDB is pretty safe from everything except the government.

Most members:

I don't trust the Fed - Bernanke
    I don't trust the Treasury - Geithner
    I don't trust the Government - Obama

So I'm going to put my money in a Safe Deposit Box controlled by the FED, Treasury & Government.

Private storage is not controlled by banking regulations, but it does have a different set of risks.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    If you are not in control of your assets, you are out of control. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Kd5ddoKd5ddo Posts: 208
    I have not used their service, but it seems similar to bulliondirect.com and their portfolio service. I've had no issues with BDs, it's a decent way to slowly stack, not worry about sales tax, and take delivery when you want saving on shipping costs. It helps to lower the 'real' price you pay when it is all said and done.

As for govt access, BD is privately owned and held and is not a bank. I don't know where the laws come in on that one. Apmex I believe is structured the same, and yield the same benifits, but at a higher starting point and incremental buy values.

Just my 2c...
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    If paying someone else to store your physical why not just play the paper and make money with quick ins and outs. Low expenses and plenty of trading vehicles to choose from (ETFs). Trade at the push of the button with an online broker with no delivery, storage concerns. I do this and keep my physical in hand.

PM ETFs