Home Precious Metals
Options

Help with these art bars.

I got these off my LCS the other week and I love them, but I cannot find who made them or even locate any information on these exact bars. The content is on the side of the bar very small so I cannot get a photo, but it says "24K GOLD/1 OZ .999 SILVER." No mention of manufacturer.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold plated silver bars are not my forte... I believe the makers hallmark may be on the lower right on the reverse. But I can't make it out....... Madison Mint?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Those gold-plated silver art bars where minted by the Columbia Mint. The "Lexington and Concord" bar was minted in 1975 and the "Williamsburg Powder Magazine" bar was also minted in 1975 according to one of my Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebooks. The guidebook also mentions that each gold-plated silver bar had a mintage of 5,000 while the non-gold-plated version of this bar had a mintage of 10,000 for each bar.

In my personal experience and observation, I have seen a few of the non-gold-plated ones at past coin shows and at the local dealers. Given the high mintage number of 5,000 for the gold-plated version, these are common bars. These are as common as the Hamilton Mint regular version silver and the gold-plated version silver art bars that were produced during the 1970's. The theme of these Columbus Mint bars is good in that it gives a brief history of historic events.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I am going to look into getting more of them and complete a set.