Home Metal Detecting

March 24, 2012: First Large Cent of the year! Plus 2 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Always looking for places to detect... For over 15 years it never occurred to me to ask my neighbor to detect around his yard. I believe his house dates to sometime in the first half of the 1800s. He grows some produce, etc for a farm stand so I wanted to try his small farm-area before he plants. Now it seems small when driving by, but when detecting it's a different story, haha. I probably got about 20% of the area done and boy is there a lot of junk. It's rare for me to have to empty my junk pouch during a hunt - but I had to do it 3 times in the three or so hours I was there.

Within 20 minutes or so I got a dime signal (12-45 for you e-trac users). Thinking it was more trash... or a dime I dig down about 4 or so inches, but to my surprise it was a large cent!! It's a Matron head, and it might be 1828 but not 100% sure.

A few minutes later a piece of silver came up... At first I thought it was a mangled ring, but my neighbor thinks it could have been some piece for horse memorabilia. It may have been straight to begin with. What do you guys think?

In the last few minutes a small button shows up, and then a 1936 Merc!!

Going back tomorrow for a full day session there. Need to finish up before he starts planting.

HH all!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... great finds... that certainly looks like a mangled ring, although the edges where it should have been joined look clean as opposed to 'cut'....I have seen rings that have a design similar to that one. That field sure has potential, good luck.
    Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with ricko, that field does have some potential by the looks of it. keep us posted if you would on any more finds happy hunting
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Excellent finds, thanks for sharing. There are a lot of farm lands around here, sadly I do not know any of them. Someday I will knock on doors and request permission to detect their land.

What's the weight of that silver ring?

Ray
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent finds, thanks for sharing. There are a lot of farm lands around here, sadly I do not know any of them. Someday I will knock on doors and request permission to detect their land.

What's the weight of that silver ring?

Ray >>

Hey Ray, thanks for the comments! Private properties can be great places to find good stuff. Definitely keep them on your radar and ask when you feel it's time. It's always a little uncomfortable asking, but the worst that'll happen is they'll say no, but some do say YES!

The "ring" weighs 3.4 grams. Still not sure if it's a ring, or some kind of decorative piece. As Ricko pointed out, the ends are pretty clean, so they might not have ever been connected.

Happy Hunting all!