Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need some advice - Bazooka Panel Hand Cut. UPDATE - POPPAGE!

I picked this up on ebay, as I need it for my set, and they are pretty hard to find. 1961 Bazooka Panel Donovan/Mathews/Lemon

The more I think about it now, the more I want to try and cut this panel to get it in a bit more presentable appearance. I would also like to get it in a better grade, if possible.

Here's what I picked up:

Here's what a 9 looks like:

And here's an example of my 10:

I normally don't condone physically altering cards, but what is the concensus on cutting cards that are meant to be hand cut (i.e. cards that come off boxes)?

Thanks for the input!

Justin

Comments

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    for better eye appeal, Id cut it,
    but I would cut it about 1/16th" around the dotted line, where the rough cut is closet to the line (aprox 1/16th" from dotted line, upper left corner), and I would leave the CUT ON DOTTED LINE as well. The more card the better

the 3rd card (single Mathews) was cut to purposely sacrifice the other 2 cards borders to get that pseudo 10 grade.

No HAND Cut card should ever receive a number grade, period! It just encorages people to trim all their original cuts

and PSA needs to get educated on cards as well, they list some machine cut cards as Hand Cut on the flips, when they have never been handcut ever ie W575-2 cards
  • Options
    I'd break it out and cut the panel since it's already cut out of the full box. I'd personally keep as much white border as possible and keep it uniform around the card.
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options
    Meant to be cut. Leave all of dotted line visible and make sure your cuts are square. Depending on the surface condition you could improve at least 3 full points.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>for better eye appeal, Id cut it,
    but I would cut it about 1/16th" around the dotted line, where the rough cut is closet to the line (aprox 1/16th" from dotted line, upper left corner), and I would leave the CUT ON DOTTED LINE as well. The more card the better >>

Agreed...

<< <i>the 3rd card (single Mathews) was cut to purposely sacrifice the other 2 cards borders to get that pseudo 10 grade. >>

Sacrificed? Not necessarily.

<< <i>No HAND Cut card should ever receive a number grade, period! It just encorages people to trim all their original cuts

and PSA needs to get educated on cards as well, they list some machine cut cards as Hand Cut on the flips, when they have never been handcut ever ie W575-2 cards >>

Interesting opinion, but it is just that . . . an opinion. Yes, PSA has some inconsistencies, but there are many cards that are available in both hand-cut and machine cut. To categorically make such blanket statements with such wide ranging implications demonstrates a bit of recklessness and hobby insecurity.

Now, I await the wrath to be thrown down from Mt. Kilauea...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be surprised if your panel comes back with the same grade! image

Although not "perfectly" cut this panel appears to be better than a 5! I would trim yours for better eye appeal and any increase in grade would be gravy.

Good luck.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>image

Although not "perfectly" cut this panel appears to be better than a 5! >>

It sure does! image Such a nice looking set too.
  • Options
    It's those stinkin' wrinkles or oft times a factory crimp on the outer egde (right and/or left side).
  • Options
    otw you feel like you need to single me out.... why?.... I dont even know who you are.... or wtf you collect ??? lol
    what is your name? mine is Frank Ward, feel free to introduce yourself... Since you seem to be infatuated with my post(s) or my neighbouring very tame volcano.

PS. I know for a fact I know more about PreWar cards (identification, history, etc.) than anyone who works or has ever worked for PSA, and maybe SGC... W575-2 was my example, do you even know what one looks like w/o googling it?? They were sold as a boxed set put out by the Kromo Gravure Photo Co. of Detroit. machine cut and sold in a small box, thats all facts fool.....

now sorry to slightly side track this thread. Obviously every comment on this bias plastic-collector board is going to be an opinion, but many opinions are based of pure fact, so in reality is not an opinion anymore.

serious Q... whats your name OTW? I like to know who my fans are..... aloha image
  • Options

<< <i>otw you feel like you need to single me out.... why?.... I dont even know who you are.... or wtf you collect ??? lol
    what is your name? mine is Frank Ward, feel free to introduce yourself... Since you seem to be infatuated with my post(s) or my neighbouring very tame volcano.

PS. I know for a fact I know more about PreWar cards (identification, history, etc.) than anyone who works or has ever worked for PSA, and maybe SGC... W575-2 was my example, do you even know what one looks like w/o googling it?? They were sold as a boxed set put out by the Kromo Gravure Photo Co. of Detroit. machine cut and sold in a small box, thats all facts fool.....

now sorry to slightly side track this thread. Obviously every comment on this bias plastic-collector board is going to be an opinion, but many opinions are based of pure fact, so in reality is not an opinion anymore.

serious Q... whats your name OTW? I like to know who my fans are..... aloha image >>

Frank: My name is Scott and I'm a card-a-holic, albeit you decided to call me a "fool." Not to hurt your ego, but I don't have an infatuation with you, but rather wanted to point out the misapplication of your opinion to the modern card in question. You obviously fancy yourself as the end-all know-all with regard to pre-war issues. And there's nothing wrong with that, but before you attempt to belittle my credentials or diminish my hobby knowledge, including pre-war, you might want to familiarize yourself with your target just a little. Suggesting I might need to look up a specific pre-war W issue demonstrates your implied superiority or contempt for my hobby knowledge.

I will admit this, you come off far too often as an elitist (almost Dorskind-like) with regard to what you collect while belittling most everything that doesn't fall into your collecting focus as well as admonishing those that collect modern or graded issues. Opinions are perfectly acceptable while generalizations applied as if they're fact cease being opinions. Being a pompous azz about how and what others collect comes off as demeaning and childish. So, if the shoe (or sandal) fits, wear it... And that's all I have to say on the matter. The next and last word is yours.
  • Options
    Scott who??
    (at least give me your Net54 name)
    come on, I know many Scotts in the hobby. last name please, dont be shy...

OK 4 things I dont like..... I may not like all the attention Mickey Charles Mantle gets, thats obvious from my past posts.... Ive felt that way for 35+ years. Im an Aaron Mays Clemente fan and always will be. I dont like the Yankees, but do like Berra, Ruth Gehrig and DiMaggio.... I also dont like 3rd party grading, especially PSA, many dont...., Im here for the (older) cards, not the hype .......... I may not like the new cards, but Im not the only one that doesnt care much for them, try to find a post where I rip them here w/o giving my reasons or was asked my opinion (Ive posted 1500+ times on this board in 4 years, 1 per day ave). If I come down on something I usually back it up w/ my reasons... Yes, I do state my opinion, its only an opinion....

My noting about W575-2 cards being machine cut is NOT an opinion its fact, find me an image of one that handcut, and if you google "W575-2 card" you will see that 95+% of the PSA slabs say "HAND CUT" on the flip, exactly same thing with the W574, W502, W503, W554, etc. cards, PSA flips note them as "HAND CUT" as well .......they were ALL originally machine cut too, and issued with candy (W554 as a premium), not in a strip form... this is not new info, its well known...
    imageimageimageimageimageimage etc.

you Scott (last name here) ........on the other hand started this by singling me out, quoting my post, and make a slight threat (again). I dont take that too kindly...
    its not uncommon for THIS board though, so I dont really care... it comes with the territory, almost everyone that posts here has at one time had someone rub them the wrong way
    todays your day, youre on my radar now Scott... now be a brave cardaholic and give me your last name... email me if you need to... its only fair so I know who I am writing to....

aloha

PS Dorskind lol, give me a break image

• Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Was a bit absent for a couple of days. Did want to get back and thank each one of you that gave input. I'm going to attempt the cut when I'm not drinking image...possibly tomorrow night! Will post back the result after it's done!

Joe, that is a really great panel, I love the color on the Kilebrew.

Frank and Scott, you guys are both ok in my book. image

Justin

• Options
    Thanks Justin. I like your panel as well. Please post a scan when you have trimmed it. Interesting (to me anyway) both of our panels have wonderful sluggers that played together; Killebrew and Lemon. Both were known for being great people as well as great players.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Ok guys, I cut the panel. Was a little nervous while I was doing it. Was following the guide that is in the 9 specimen whilst trying to adhere to the good advice from you guys.

Here's how it turned out:

I like it, but not to sure how it will regrade, thoughts?

I'd love a 6, if possible.

Justin
  • Options
    Looks a lot nicer, Although you seemed to wander a little on the bottom edge.

BTW Where's the mark that gave it a qualifier. On the back I would assume.

Good luck!

Joe
  • Options
    Here's the back of the panel:

IMO it may bring it down a grade, but I don't think it should be given a (MK). I'm going to request NQ. My guess is it's staining from what was in the box, kind of like a wax stain that cards receive. I don't have many (MK) cards, but the ones that do were written on at some point, not due to staining.

Justin
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I love the panel. I hope that right side has enough perforation showing to allow a number grade. I liked the idea of leaving some white around the edges, but what's done is done. Good luck!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Guys, the update on this is (and I just about fell out of my chair):

1 19873356 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 BAZOOKA PANEL HAND CUT DONOVAN/MATHEWS/LEMON Card

Woohoo!!

Justin
  • Options
    FANTASTIC! image

Maybe I should crack out all mine and trim 'em up!

Joe
  • Options
    Might be a good idea! If you can find a high grade example and follow it as a guideline.

To go from 4(MK) (The MK I'm still stumped on...) to an 8 - effectively increasing 6 full grades, is going to bring me into very close range of Rank 1 in the Mathews Master set.

I'm totally happy with this decision!

Justin
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice job
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Just looking up old Bazooka threads and saw this victory.

Thanks for sharing the journey on these tough Bazooka panels.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Great thread!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...