Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Current State of the Chinese Coin Market

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the current state of the Chinese coin market. It seems that prices rose dramatically for a period and then fell quite substantially. Do those of you familiar with Chinese coins feel that prices are still falling or have they stabilized at this point? Of course no one really knows for sure, but what are your thoughts on the future of the market?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated and interesting to hear.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices for high-grade Mexican 8 Reales (which, I am told, are considered "Chinese coins" by the Chinese) have fallen and stabilized.
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prices for high-grade Mexican 8 Reales (which, I am told, are considered "Chinese coins" by the Chinese) have fallen and stabilized. >>

I think you are right on this. I collected Mexico for over ten years and sold them at the wrong timeimage Interestingly, a 1823 8R "hookneck" PCGS AU58 just went up on ebay and I know the seller and he thinks it will go to China. I always thought the 1823 was much harder than the 1824. The seller will tell me where its going when it sellsimage

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curiously when I was in China I found that the materiel that was real was negotiable in price, while stuff like the fakes of American coins were usually not negotiable. Modern stuff was hot hot hot. I found some pretty nice gold commemoratives, gold was priced closer to spot than I would have thought it would be. It was a place I really didn't expect to see an active and thriving coin trade and found out quite pleasantly that the opposite was true. I could find multiple coin dealers in the cities I was in, even if they didn't speak English/Russian, we could haggle with the bit of Mandarin I know.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Question?? I read this post to mean that he was asking about the market for chinese coins-not the market for coins in china. Did I take the meaning wrong?
    olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    hold on, why are the chinese into mexican coins???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question?? I read this post to mean that he was asking about the market for chinese coins-not the market for coins in china. Did I take the meaning wrong? >>

Reread my reply. Chinese collectors consider Mexican 8Rs to be Chinese coins (because they circulated in China for a long time). I said nothing about where those Chinese collectors live.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sold quite a few Cap and Rays 8 reales and a couple of AU/MS piece to chinese buyers over the last year. There definite a market there.
    Went to check if my current auctions shipped to China and realized that I did not specify shipping, which would prevent buyers from purchasing. Updated a few high value items with free shipping and within a few hours sold a $1,500 MS pillar to Hong Kong.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mexican 8 Reales (which, I am told, are considered "Chinese coins" by the Chinese) >>

Why is that?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

<< <i>

<< <i>Mexican 8 Reales (which, I am told, are considered "Chinese coins" by the Chinese) >>

Why is that? >>

China has very little silver, so it historically relied on 8 Reales and other trade coinage. There are quite a few that circulated heavily there, as seen by numerous chopmarks on the portrait and cap and rays series of 8 Reales. In fact, if i'm not mistaken, the balance scale peso that briefly replaced the Cap and Rays design in the second half of the 19th century, was rejected by the Chinese due to smaller diameter (even though the fineness was higher) and the decrease in exporting volumes forced Mexico to change the design and fineness back to it's previous standard.
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I was refering to the original post. My question still stands.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Hi folks,

I apologize for any confusion in my initial question. I was generally asking about your thoughts on the current market for Chinese coins, though thoughts on the overall coin market in China are always interesting to hear too!
  • I was reading an interesting email yesterday or the day before about some high end Chinese gold coins , i believe some of them graded etc . It turns out they were actually struck at Philadelphia on commision or similar order by a fella who procured the dies in China some 100 years ago. It would seem we were bootlegging thier coins.
  • I collect mostly pre- Mao Empire & ROC silver coins. There are over 1.4 billion Chinese - huge potential market. Most of the silver coins have been melted or are Chopmarked, cleaned, etc etc etc.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Keep an eye on the upcoming Stacks sale: The April 2012 Hong Kong Auction
  • Also the Coin show there

at that same time

I'll be there, anyone goin?

Hong Kong Coin Convention and Antique Watch Show, April 6 – 8, 2012.
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

• << <i>Hi folks,

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the current state of the Chinese coin market. It seems that prices rose dramatically for a period and then fell quite substantially. Do those of you familiar with Chinese coins feel that prices are still falling or have they stabilized at this point? Of course no one really knows for sure, but what are your thoughts on the future of the market?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated and interesting to hear. >>

& on this

TO THE MOON ALICE!!!
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • The recent Hong Kong auctions for coins of China: Non-certified coins overall did poorly. Certified bronze and brass coins performed beyond expectations. Panda gold had mixed results. The 100 yuan 1/3 ounce gold Historical Figures sold far below retail. Very few bargains in the older certified offerings.
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I agree Mexican 8R are stable and at levels you can buy / sell safely. They are down a fair amount compared to last year.
    My take on Chinese is similar though not the same extent...peaked in 2011 then 'some' downward pressure. Now into the future looks good!
    The Hong Kong auction just concluded showed a number of strong prices...a very few brought less than expected...but reviewing the pics...there was a reason for this.
    That's my 2 cents.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Quality, quality, quality... it seems that collectors of Chinese coins have learned that damaged, cleaned, corroded and worn pieces aren't so rare, but that pristine and nice examples are quite so. Basically, junk has fallen back down while nice material has remained stable or even appreciate a slight bit.