Home Metal Detecting
Options

Whats the $ price range of good equip for a newbie

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Hi,

Me and wife both interested, but I'm thinking I should get the best unit. I'm assuming the top of the line stuff does the best job.
What is the $ range of the best grades out there?
COA

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    A quick thought, with 95% of any and all products in the world, the "Most expensive" doesn't mean the "Best product".

Here is how I see it:

Level 1: New to the hobby (Anything), there are base models to catch the younger crowd, the poor crowd and the "I want to try it but not sure if I like it" crowd. Let's say $50 - $199, with 3-5 models available.

Level 2: This is actually the largest level, where most of the people buy. There is usually a wider selection and a larger footprint for money, let's say $200 - $2,999.

Level 3: This level is for two types, 1) "I have to have the best and I will pay anything to get it". These models $3,000 - (no ceiling) are made with a bunch of bells and whistles and usually to much "stuff" so that the manufacturers can charge whatever they want. or 2) Specialty items. This area covers those that want something specific in a general area.

For example:

Level 1: Toyota CamryL 2012 starts at $21,955. This is the base model with little to no extras and less available add-ons.

level 2: Toyota CamryLE 2012 starts at $22,500. This is a little better and let's face it, if you are going to buy the little better model, you are going to buy some "Extra's" to go with it so they have more options available for this option.

level 3: Toyota CamrySE 2012 starts at $23,000. This is their best model, if you are going to spring for the best, they have everything available and will charge you nicely for installing them.

I went with the Camry because I like the vehicle and I did not want to sway your decision with the MD types. I do not own a Camry.

That said, I own a Garrett AT Pro, thus far, I love it but I have not been out that much. I hear a lot of good things... actually, I heard nothing bad about the White's line but they bring you over the $1,000 mark.

I hope all that made sense,
    Ray
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray has posted good information. In addition, it would help to know what kind of detecting you intend to pursue... beach, water, parks, nugget hunting, relic hunting etc.. This information will help to recommend equipment. In addition, there are accessories.. such as a pinpointer, digging tool, etc.... Give us more information and we can help. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I guess I want to fit in the 2-better level, and all around hunting. Being a newbie, I'm forced into being a generalist.

From woods, to abandoned areas to park and the beaches. I know that is pretty broad range right now.

Would of course be looking for prizes, instead of say bullets. And both still sound like fun, and enjoyment of it too of course.

I want to be up that 2-'better' range because I want the equipment that will find the stuff, and not be limited by ability. I can live without the whistles and bells, except would want the functions that do the job. I'd like to start off with the equipment that can do the job, rather that have to upgrade. The $1000 or so line, is about what I expected, but not as high as the $2000 level.

Do you get different heads to switch back and forth, those kinds of things too?

thanks much!
    COA
  • Options
    Well.. that is a great range.. well above the beginner level, so you will get bells and whistles. However, on good equipment, they are not frills.. they are functional and serve the user well. You do not get extra heads.. but that will not be necessary... not until you get real good and begin specialized detecting (i.e. gold nuggets). In your price range you could get the White's V3i... top of the line detector, good for parks, woods, old foundations etc etc.. This MD will serve all your purposes and then some. It also, although a high level tool, is very user friendly. I highly recommend it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Nice range to start in, Rickie is spot on with his advice.

Best of luck, Eay
  • Options
    A little more follow up if you don't mind the questions.

Is the White's V3i... or similar ok at the beach areas. Do folks get special or different units to protect against that salty environment?
    COA
  • Options
    The V3i will work at the beach.. it has beach settings.... it is not so much the salty environment as the ability to detect in salt water wet or salt wet sand.. it produces a tremendous amount of static if not the proper frequencies. Also, you should wipe down your equipment after use. If you intend to do a large amount of beach/water detecting, then the machine I would recommend is the Whites Dual Surf MD... super for beaches and shallow water... Cheers, RickO