Home Metal Detecting
Options

American Diggers... Have you guys seen this show?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
On this 30 minute episode they are in Alaska looking at old gold panning sites. They are searching for "Relics". They use medal detectors to find the items, "Sell them on the open market" then offer the land owner a share of the profits. It looks like four guys, each banishing their own MDer.

So far, they have not said anything about the detectors that they are using. They seem to be focusing on the items that they are finding rather than the actual process/procedures of metal detecting.

What they found this show:
Bottle cap EST. Worthless "Not even a good beer"
Metal pan (For panning gold) EST. $10
A pick ax head EST. $100
Newhouse 15 bear trap
Rock auger (A tool to use to drill into rock) EST. $500
Two man cross cut saw EST. $1000

Lot's of unnecessary hooting and hollering trying to make it more interesting.

Randy Savage is the "Famous" name on the show. At the end of the show he ended up in a shop where they talked about the items they found. He requested $7,000, the store owner countered with $5,000... Then my recording stopped... this DVR hates me, it cuts the end off all the shows.

Anyway, there it is. I found the show interesting to say the least, I hope to see more in the future.

Ray

Here is a link to the show's website.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the show last night, out of curiosity.

I was expecting [do not know why] something a little more moderate in tone and with less of what I will call "BU YAH" moments.

The show is definitely scripted/tailored to present moments of disappointment [when two property owners told Randy Savage to get lost and closed their doors in his face] and to present moments that I would describe as "manufactured hype/drama" [for example when Randy Savage became animated and jumped back and yelled for everyone to "get back" when he realized that the item that was unearthed was a bear trap (he expressed concern over the danger that someone would trip the trap and lose a hand; which is a legitimate concern but the presentation seemed over the top).

I will probably tune in again next week just to see if anything changes for the second episode.

I hope that future episodes will feature metal detecting searches of areas like metal detectorists her on the forums experience on a daily basis, including the discovery of some old coins.

Separate from the American Diggers episode, I also watched portions of the hour long "Auction Hunters" show that was broadcast "live". That live show was much less enjoyable than the regular episodes of Auction Hunters.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish they would do that here in the lower 48 states. alaska gets boring after a while. jmo
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reality shows are 100% scripted and designed for a wide audience. Those that are involved in the true reality (i.e. MD'rs, etc) will quickly see through the hype and phony eureka moments. It is the same on all reality shows. I have had the pleasure of talking to two people who took part in reality shows and one who worked on them. All said the same thing. We see more reality in our backyard than these shows exhibit. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the end of the show after they found the saw after heating the frozen ground to find what was ever there. (I doubt if to many of use mdist would do that) They sold they finds for $6500. I wonder what the buying was asking for this stuff. I didn't see the part where they found the bear trap but I just can't believe that iron in the ground/water that long would be in this good of condition. I have found a saw in the ground and it was pretty rusty. In no way was it still sharp.

I think you have to watch this show with a "large" grain of salt.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    SanctionII: Exactly what I thought, useless "hype".

johnny9434: I too hope is translates to something more realistic (To you and I) in future episodes. You know, something in the lower 48 as you said, that we can actually relate to. A trip to Alaska... very far fetched. At least they could have planted a chunk of gold...

ricko: Agreed, I was/am hopeful that at least this show will be entertaining. I am not one that likes "Reality" shows. The first I ever really got into was "Gold Rush" and this year "Bering Sea Gold", other than that... I'm not interested in the fake, "Shock and awe" drama that they portray.

pocketpiececommems: The 55 gallon drums to "Warm up the ground" so they could dig was a little far fetched. It would have been more believable if they put the drums there to warm up while they were digging. I understand the transfer of heat and I know this would work but as they said, it would take way to long... And then after they waited all day, they still used a pick ax to get thru the ice... so much for all the fire.

I'll watch again next week,
    Ray
  • Options
    spoiler alert, the trap sold for 6 grand,, lol,,
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    The rah rah sensationalism is here to stay. The production companys feel thats what people want or need to stay interested. They have done 13 episodes all over the U.S. Next weeks is in Detriot. The whole lot of finds sold for $6000. The home owner was given $1800 and appeared to be very pleased.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the one episode i watched i believe was the "tombstone" AZ episode. the only thing that kept me from falling asleep was the volume... for the record, this guy is claiming to be the famous wrestler randy savage, the REAL randy savage of WWF fame died last year of pulmonary failure
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the laws are in Alaska but he would have been arrested in Nevada. Anything
    over 75 years is not allowed to be removed from the ground or salvaged or such. Too many looters
    messing with our old mines/history.

bob

PS: it was mildly entertaining but the prices they got were insane (scripted?)
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>PS: it was mildly entertaining but the prices they got were insane (scripted?) >>

Of course they were scripted.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea saw blades were worth anything. I have a 5 foot one I found at home but it's as rusted as all get out.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>the one episode i watched i believe was the "tombstone" AZ episode. the only thing that kept me from falling asleep was the volume... for the record, this guy is claiming to be the famous wrestler randy savage, the REAL randy savage of WWF fame died last year of pulmonary failure >>

Not Randy Savage......Ric Savage. He was best known as "Heavy Metal"

Ric Savage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    How does this differ from the other show called Diggers? That one had two guys who traqveled the US. There was one episode where they were in a prison in Montana and another where they were on a plantation down south?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I haven't seen the show, I haven't heard too much good about it!
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭

<< <i>How does this differ from the other show called Diggers? That one had two guys who traqveled the US. There was one episode where they were in a prison in Montana and another where they were on a plantation down south? >>

Are you talking about "American Pickers"?
    I watched tonight's Diggers show. I'll say one thing, you would never see me out in Alaska at 6:30am in freezing cold pawing through snow.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How does this differ from the other show called Diggers? That one had two guys who traqveled the US. There was one episode where they were in a prison in Montana and another where they were on a plantation down south? >>

Are you talking about "American Pickers"?
    I watched tonight's Diggers show. I'll say one thing, you would never see me out in Alaska at 6:30am in freezing cold pawing through snow. >>

I think there were two shows that were similar, but by different networks. One was Nat Geo I believe and the other was...A&E? Discovery?

• Options
    PCGS69 is correct - its two different shows - one is called "Diggers" on Nat Geo, the other is called "American Diggers" on Spike TV. I enjoyed the Nat Geo show MUCH BETTER than the Spike TV show, I would not even waste my time with American Diggers show. Its a joke. The Nat Geo show is more in line with what the hobby of metal detecting is all about.

• Options

<< <i>PCGS69 is correct - its two different shows - one is called "Diggers" on Nat Geo, the other is called "American Diggers" on Spike TV. I enjoyed the Nat Geo show MUCH BETTER than the Spike TV show, I would not even waste my time with American Diggers show. Its a joke. The Nat Geo show is more in line with what the hobby of metal detecting is all about. >>

Funny. I get the opposite feeling about the 2 shows but enjoyed both. No matter. The Diggers on Nat Goe was two 30 min shows and its not looking like there will be more. American Diggers on Spike will be on weekly well into the summer. 13 episodes have already been completed in different locations like Chicago, Brooklyn ,Detroit, Jamestown and Tombstone AZ.
  • Options
    I think what we look for is a premise that is more closely related to what we experience when detecting. I have seen both shows, and diggers was probably more in line with the traditional idea of detecting, but the 2 guys were just annoying to say the least. (could of done without all the jargon,and over the top emotion, on the common finds) American Diggers is pretty good, although it's scripted I like the permise of the show, sharing profit with home owners and all. But maybe we should just mute the show, until they pull something out of the ground. After all, are we really interested in the people themselves? or what is coming out of the ground and the history attached to it? IF you don't have colorful character(s) to guide the show, it becomes another casualty of ratings.
    Detroit had some pretty neat finds, the coins in the old air cleaner and that cross was pretty amazing.
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    I missed the one in Detroit. Saw the previews of the breaking into a pipe? What happened there? I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.image
  • Options
    The Detroit one was on last night. They had just rented some big machine to break through concrete... dug down a couple of feet to find a piece of junk... BUT, BUT wait a second, there's a cache of coins in this piece of junk!!

What are the odds??

I like how they dig $20k in stuff every place they go. Everything comes out in perfect, working condition, too, another bonus for them. And, the antique dealers barely bargain. (warning, exaggeration to follow)

Big bear guy, "I want $7k"
    Antique Guy, "oh man, I can't even come close to that, how about $6,975?"
    Big guy, "MAN, you drive a hard bargain, how about I throw in something that's completely unexpected?"
    Antique, "Sure thing!"

• Options

<< <i>I missed the one in Detroit. Saw the previews of the breaking into a pipe? What happened there? I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.image >>

They hit a burried PVC water line......less than a foot down.....in Detriot. I can see a sprinkler line in someones lawn under pressure in the summer but this was in a vacent lot and the handy near by shut off valve looked very new.
  • Options
    Both the episodes I saw they show then detecting for a day he asks $7000 for there finds and then barter. But at the end of the episode they have a caption that says something like over the next 5 days the team uncover $16K in artifacts. B.S. If they were find that great of stuff you think it would make it into the show. Not only is it fake but I think it gives a very false portrayal of the hobby. I've only had my machine for three weeks now and still working out the tones but they make it seem like almost every hit is a treasure. Instead of the reality of it where 90% of the time your digging up junk
  • Options
    And when they broke that water line they did the cheapest jerryrigged fix I've ever seen which might of held for a minute but won't last the first freeze here in mi if it makes it that long.
  • Options
    These shows are for entertainment only and not to be taken seriously....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    i love the part in the beginning of the show where he yells, we do the digging and split the profits with you,, thennnn,, when hes negotiating the deal with the land owner he says, the split is 80/20,, lolol,,to funny
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched two episodes of the show for the second time last night. It will be the last time I watch it.

Too scripted, lacking in reality, and very annoying (particularly the too enthusiastic Mr. Savage).

First show- The boys got permission to hunt on some land where the tow owners' great grandfather was running an illegal still during prohibition. One owner gave permission to hunt. While hunting near a barn, the other brother showed up in a truck, got out with a baseball bat and challenged the boys. Savage approached the brother with the bat, looking very worried. The potential for violence quickly vanished after Savage said he and his crew had permission. The brother with the bat went to check with his other brother [couldn't he have just placed a phone call???], came back, said ok, and told the boys they were hunting at the wrong place. Told them they needed to go to where another, older, barn was. The boys did so. the barn was falling down on itself. One guy squeezed into the barn and pulled out a part of a still. An excavation machine pulled up the bran structure to make more room. A guy squeezed into the barn and looked some more. The barn almost fell, but the guy got out. He pulled out with him a box. The box was opened and an old gun was found, along with an old glass bottle that had some early 20th century US currency in it ($1.00, $2.00 and $5.00 bills that were in worn, circulated condition). Savage crowed with delight, took the loot to an antique guy and was paid thousands of dollars (no discussion of value, no analysis or investigation of exactly what the finds were).

Second show - The boys were in Virginia looking to dig 20-30 below the surface to find large fossil teeth of the ancient 60' long shark "Megaladon". The landowner said ok to the dig but insisted that the work take less than a day and that the land be completely restored by morning. The boys went at it, having to cut down a big tree to get the excavator to the precise "spot" of the dig. They dug down 20' and recovered multiple fossils including a whale vertebra, multiple small teeth from sharks and one huge Megaladon tooth. They also hunted the surface with metal detectors and found an old rifle barrel. They clean up and restored the land by 2:00 a.m. They sold the stuff they found for $3,500.00 to an antique guy.

How amazing it is that they found a Megaladon tooth right where they first dug; and that they found a glass jar with old currency in it but did not take the time to have the currency evaluated to determine what it was and what its value was. Amazing also that the buyers of the things the boys dig up never investigate or research the items before they buy.

No more American Diggers for me.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

And then at the end of the show it says something like, "We dug 3 more days in Virginia and added another $13,500 to our profits!!!" Dang, show me those finds also!

Mr. Savage is overacting a bit, even for a former wrestler. I thing they're just milking it for all it's worth for as long as they can.

I DO think that he would get more digging opportunities if he introduced himself as ex-professional wrestler celebrity Ric Savage and not "hey, we're here to dig up your yard". Especially to some of the 30's-40's aged folk who might have watched him back in his hayday.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>I DO think that he would get more digging opportunities if he introduced himself as ex-professional wrestler celebrity Ric Savage >>

They already know that, it's in the script.

I did notice the thousands paid for the terribly worn ones and fives, i'd sure like to sell some of my old bills for that.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>I watched two episodes of the show for the second time last night. It will be the last time I watch it.

Too scripted, lacking in reality, and very annoying (particularly the too enthusiastic Mr. Savage). No more American Diggers for me. >>

Amen! Who the hell 'Green-lighted' that?

It is American Pickers meets Dog the Bounty Hunter meets Pawn Stars meets American Chopper meets American Restoration + Chummly + Spike-Haired Kid Dork + Crammer.

I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

And then at the end of the show it says something like, "We dug 3 more days in Virginia and added another $13,500 to our profits!!!" Dang, show me those finds also!

Mr. Savage is overacting a bit, even for a former wrestler. I thing they're just milking it for all it's worth for as long as they can.

I DO think that he would get more digging opportunities if he introduced himself as ex-professional wrestler celebrity Ric Savage and not "hey, we're here to dig up your yard". Especially to some of the 30's-40's aged folk who might have watched him back in his hayday. >>

He was a nobody in wrestling, there is about a 1% chance that even a die hard wrestling fan would know him, he might get confused with Randy "Macho Man" Savage, who he clearly stole his name from.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    UNLVinoUNLVino Posts: 416
    Last night they found a milk jug in Louisiana, full of wheelies, also had an 1897 Morgan and a 1907 double eagle, they sold for $25k. The eagle looked a bit more "shinny" when they sold it vs when it came out of the ground. image.
  • Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    when they start the show with the caption "These are stories of their best finds"....Im pretty sure its a re-enactment....like how they found the privy in brooklyn with the old bottles that were in there 100 years and had no dirt on them.....This is the same show I think, have only seen it once....tru tv is the biggest offender of fake scripted shows...the tow shows are the most moronic.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    American diggers. The metal detecting version of the WWF.image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Last night they found a milk jug in Louisiana, full of wheelies, also had an 1897 Morgan and a 1907 double eagle, they sold for $25k. The eagle looked a bit more "shinny" when they sold it vs when it came out of the ground. image. >>

That was awful, I say he palmed that coin.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Like I stated here in a earlier post, this show is not worth watching at all. There was a show on Nat Geo called "Diggers" that was much better but it only aired twice...