Home Precious Metals
Options

Hypothetical Discussion -- The Initial Reaction to a Republican win will be a decline in PM prices

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Republican win will be seen as good for the economy and bad for PMs, at least initially.
12 months later? that might depend upon the economic progress.

PS: It can't be but so good if the Republican budget proposal does not eliminate the deficit. image
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A Republican win will be seen as good for the economy and bad for PMs, at least initially.
    12 months later? that might depend upon the economic progress.

PS: It can't be but so good if the Republican budget proposal does not eliminate the deficit. image >>

So, based on your theory, an Obama re-election would be bad for the economy but good for PM's, Does this mean if we hold PM's we should vote for Obama?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "will be seen as"

perceptions.

the current perceptions are the Republicans are pro-business and good for the economy.

If you hold a lot of PMs and little in other investments, yes, vote blue. Although bonds may rally as people flee other stuff.

But, you do not address your own perceptions of these perceptions I perceive.

Do you think PMs will sell off on a Republican win?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    It would be nice to let both sides win 100% in Congress and the Presidency and see who does things better. but that is impossible.

I think the worst case is a split Congress, as it is now, and a Democrat President. However, I'm for that for previously mentioned reasons. 1. Can't let Reps. justify their debt ceiling actions with a Presidential win, and 2. we got to force these partisan morons to work together.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the OP's premise of a Republican victory I expect PM prices will decline.

I continue to add PMs in part because I expect 0bama will win re-election.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No affect on PMs. They both got us into this mess and they will both keep us in this mess. Both big spenders, just spend on different things.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Just not gonna happen
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I have a couple strong opinions. I can read tea leaves.

Obama will be re-elected without my vote. It will be favorable for PM's.

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    The debt is to big to fix (doesn't matter which party gets elected) ..... Gold up!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Republican win doesn't keep gold from continuing to move up. The only thing that prevents gold from going exponential is if Congressional spending makes a big U-Turn.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I think the opposite would be more likely. Chances are Obama will get another four years. If that happens (or if it appears likely), I would expect markets to tank- including PMs.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypothetical discussion image

That's a brain teaser.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not expect him to get a second term. I know there are many who say he will, and I can follow their logic. However, elections are not always 'logical', and, although politically speaking, there is a very long way to go, I believe the general malaise that exists (and if it continues) will ensure a new occupant of the White House. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>No affect on PMs. They both got us into this mess and they will both keep us in this mess. Both big spenders, just spend on different things. >>

It doesn't, or won't, matter.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    All i'm gonna say is I agree with ricko, a lot of people now hate Obama.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not expect him to get a second term. I know there are many who say he will, and I can follow their logic. However, elections are not always 'logical', and, although politically speaking, there is a very long way to go, I believe the general malaise that exists (and if it continues) will ensure a new occupant of the White House. Cheers, RickO >>

Totally agree. Unless the economy really takes off this summer, Obama won't be reelected.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I believe that Obama will be re-elected, no contest, please review Rope-a-dope article on wikipedia.

Remember our current events, there will be more crises if required.image
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Little lasting effect on PMs. Don't they keep telling us that inflation is just around the corner. I think the next few years are set in stone. All that can happen is that we begin to dig ourselves out of the very deep hole we find ourselves in.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Romney has this sleazy politician feel, much more than Obama

but if the economy is in the tank, I think more people will want Obama out and Romney in.

I'm thinking the tipping point is at 7.x% unemployment. If we can get it into the 7's, Obama may just pull it out.

Either way, this is going to be another exciting and hard fought election year.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Romney has this sleazy politician feel, much more than Obama

but if the economy is in the tank, I think more people will want Obama out and Romney in.

I'm thinking the tipping point is at 7.x% unemployment. If we can get it into the 7's, Obama may just pull it out.

Either way, this is going to be another exciting and hard fought election year. >>

Wow what a statement. A devout Mormon vs. a Chicago politician, and you are saying the Mormon is sleazier than a life long politician from Chicago? Wow. Wow. Wow. Three wows. If that is the case, there is no hope for Romney. The Obama machine will have $2 billion to spend on attack ads, plus 90% of the working press in their pocket, including powerful allies at Google and Facebook. If the perception is already that low of Romney, wait until those vicious no-prisoners attack ads and bogus made-up slime stories in the mainstream are running 24/7.

Obama is as ruthless as people come, and he will not give any quarter in the general. Obama is definitely the favorite. If he can't win by legitimate means, he will use Chicago-style tactics such as bus loads of union members sent in to vote 10x each in key districts with IDs of dead people. Obama also has Wall Street in his back pocket, despite rumors to the contrary. The PPT (plunge protection team) and their allies will do whatever is necessary, such as manipulating oil prices lower, or artificially boosting the stock market, to reelect their guy, President Goldman Sachs.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No affect on PMs. They both got us into this mess and they will both keep us in this mess. Both big spenders, just spend on different things. >>

Took the words out of my mouth
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options

<< <i>A devout Mormon ... >>

stop right there...

I guess your going to tell me religious anything, Rabbi, Priest, Preacher, etc., can't be accused of child molestation or any other crime, much less lying?

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

With the exception of obama, both parties seem to put forth moderate candidates. Neither controls spending. --Jerry
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    An Obama victory will raise Big Oil's crude higher - bet on it. I vote that will take PM's with it. Republicans would be bad for oil, and therefore, PM's.