Home Metal Detecting

What's this?

75 degrees in Vermont in mid-March? Nuts. I did not get out at all last year. Decided to try a couple places yesterday. Enjoyed two hours of hunting. I am still a newbie. Using an older White's Quantum XT with a Deep Scan 950 coil.

There is a very old hotel in town. It's now converted to apartments. It is next to an even older one room school house. Both buildings are on a map I have from the early 1800's. Both on private property. I have not been able to get permission. However, it borders public property. It's mostly a large meadow and goes up to about 20 yards from these other two buildings. Spent an hour there. Kept finding junk metal....brake shoe, copper plumbing pieces, square head nails, large rings/chains, garden hoe, shotgun cases. Pulled out one 1973 Lincoln cent and a 2000 nickel. Moved on to another place.

Spent the second hour near the town clerk's office. There's an old building in back. See picture below. No coins. No jewelry. Found what might have been an old toy car at one time. If you want a picture, let me know. The other item was a flat piece of metal, exactly 2"x3", with a star cut out. Hole on top has a small bent pin. Possibly something to hang it with.

Any ideas? My wife says part of an old wind chime. I think it was the stencil used by Betsy Ross and my daughter may now have a chance at attending college.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know what the bottem piece is your talking about. i think your onto something thou and do keep looking. id love to live in vermont, maybe someday image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... with the nice weather, just being out is a bonus.... enjoy... Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome fellow New Englander! Can't believe this weather. Have never seen 70s in March. Hopefully you'll be able to get permission to those old buildings, but in the meantime, keep detecting!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of signal did you get on that iron star? I would guess the detector was going nuts!

Windchime decoration is my guess... You should definitely finish the job, that site reeks of good potential.

• << <i>What type of signal did you get on that iron star? I would guess the detector was going nuts!

Windchime decoration is my guess... You should definitely finish the job, that site reeks of good potential. >>

Thanks for everyones' replies. I've been using the preset "Coin & Jewelry" option on the QXT with no adjustments ('96 version 1.1). That star was bouncing between "1¢---50¢/1$" display and "Screwcap/Zn¢".

Starting reading bad things on the internet yesterday about the QXT. Found a site with a long list of tips that I need to apply. I picked this up used because I just happened to be in a shop when someone walked in to sell it. It looked new, had a nice White's case, White's headphones, and was cheap. With my knowledge and skill level, I might be better off with my White's Prism V. I bought this new, but was using the QXT because I thought it had better depth penetration. I'm not rich. Grabbed the second detector because it was cheap and I thought my wife might be interested in the hobby. I don't have those thoughts any more.

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I do not know what you have, but it is obviosly old. I would not consider it special unless you can prove what it's use is for. I will be visiting my property in Newfane/Putney Mountain in a few weeks and was wondering what to expect. I have someone who looks after the place, and am always looking for a second opinion!image
    I have a few cellar holes and old logging roads that have produced some nice older things. There is over 100 acres of property which I have only been able to check a quarter of. I am always hoping that this is the year.image -Dan
  • it looks like a part of a weather vane, oposite of the arrow,, john
    imageimageimageimageimage